VOGONS

3 (+3 more) retro battle stations

Topic actions

Reply 880 of 2152, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got a HOT-433 version 1-3(not v4) to mess around with. I know this is Feipoa’s least favorite board but I thought what the hell, I’ll try it.

Anyway to know what version I have for certain?

I think one thing I’ve learned is that this AM5x86 CPU I have is just temperamental, one day running well on certain cache settings and the next not so much. I’ve seen this behavior on three motherboards so far and the one common factor is the CPU. I need to find a another example or two that runs well at 180.

Anyway was running 2111 cache settings on the 433 all day yesterday, boot up this morning, and it says FU when attempting Quake timedemos.

Other notes:
Using the 5H21 bios from this thread, not sure if it’s the best but I would assume so.
Success: Adding a PS/2 mouse port to the Shuttle HOT433 (using a dedicated keyboard controller chip)

DMA doesn’t work with Rendition Verite cards so far.

I can’t seem to get 1:1 PCI:FSB working at 60Mhz FSB even when using a Promise PCI IDE controller.

I’ve got a 64MB stick but it only recognizes 32MB.

Can’t seem to find the jumper settings for an AM5x86 on the V1-3 boards, I think I have it right based on the numbers I’m pulling. If you guys know where to find these let me know.

Reply 881 of 2152, by novanick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2022-01-29, 05:51:
novanick wrote on 2022-01-22, 04:20:

Is there any chance I can get you to send me a digital copy of this motherboard manual. Last year I came across this board and had to do some repairs, just getting ready to set it up and wouldn't mind giving the manual a once over.

Thank you very much,

Attached you the pictures buyer forwarded.

A big thank you to you and your buyer, I appreciate this very much. Along with a few board trace repairs this should give me something to do with my free time when i'm deployed at sea shortly.

Nova Nick

Reply 882 of 2152, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@novanick
Not a problem.
I am chasing top performers and this motherboard was not there but still very nice package.
Well integrated and everything. Let us know if you succeed to fix the one you got.
Btw, military or commercial deployment ?

@Chadti99

The Abit AB-PM4 was running at 200MHz with Peltier.
So far haven't seen CPU that can do it without thermal pump.

Shuttle HOT-433
This one is "fun" for sure.
Pass a picture so we can see what you got.

As far as i remember at 160MHz - all is good. Beyond that - not so much.
But 1:1 was fine at 60MHz FSB. Try to start it with Turbo turned off. Then turn it on once in DOS prompt.
About the memory size issue - did you check if it is not just the BIOS reporting it wrong ?
I have V4 of the board, so cannot confirm jumper settings for you.
Found some links:
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/32673.htm
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/33324.htm
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/S/S … 86-HOT-433.html
Check with @Feipoa - he should have them.

How much L2 cache you use ?

Share your progress please. I will be curious to see if you can make it work better than what i achieved so far with V4.

---

About the inconsistent behavior of the DX5 CPU you got - this is a worrisome sign.
Every time when piece of old hardware started showing inconsistencies it eventually kicked the bucket not long after.
If i was on you - i would be shopping ADZ/ADW chips.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 883 of 2152, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-02-05, 12:39:

HOT-433... Anyway was running 2111 cache settings on the 433 all day yesterday, boot up this morning, and it says FU when attempting Quake timedemos.

This was my exact experience with the HOT-433 v1-3.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 884 of 2152, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here’s a pic of my board, I think it’s a later revision since it has the keyboard controller dip socket. It is curious that it only detects 32MB of my 64MB memory modules. Everyone else be running 256MB of ram on this board 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 885 of 2152, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious, but not surprising. This board is a PoJ. I have two of these boards currently and they both are lemons. I had a third, but it stopped working after a socket swap for the Dallas (why? dunno, I checked it very carefully). I had a 4th and a 5th, but I dumped them in '03. Maybe you'll find a magic board, maybe you won't.

Try different modules. This board prefers EDO, surprisingly.

Reply 886 of 2152, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the exrerior can really trick you - all the right things on display - late 486 chipset, 4 memory slots, up to 1024kb L2 cache, 4 PCI slots, 4 ISA slots, multi i/o.

on the inside - apparently not so much.

But to be fair v4 here is just fine at up to 160MHz. No major complains really.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 887 of 2152, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@chadti99
After good effort with 2 LuckyStar LS-486E rev:D boards and big stack of RAM modules I was unable to get DRAM SPEED = FASTEST (all other BIOS settings on max) to work stably outside DOS interactive graphics. Calling it a day, moving on.

EDIT: For clarity - that is for 3x60=180MHz.

BTW, chadti99 and feipoa, what are the date stamps on the SIS chips on your lsd boards ?

Last edited by pshipkov on 2022-02-09, 17:37. Edited 1 time in total.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 890 of 2152, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Running into a particularly frustrating issue.

I’ve been testing new AM5x86 cpu and now I can’t boot from my IDE2SD adapter all of a sudden. This is happening on two of my socket 3 boards so far. I plug it into a Pentium 3 system I have and it’s fine. I have no idea what’s happened. Ive tried swapping cables and swapping SDCards that are known good, tried an external pci controller, really at a loss. Hoping it’s just power supply related, ill try a mechanical drive if I can find one.

Reply 891 of 2152, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pshipkov wrote on 2022-02-09, 09:10:

@chadti99
After good effort with 2 LuckyStar LS-486E rev:D boards and big stack of RAM modules I was unable to get DRAM SPEED = FASTEST (all other BIOS settings on max) to work stably outside DOS interactive graphics. Calling it a day, moving on.

BTW, chadti99 and feipoa, what are the date stamps on the SIS chips on your lsd boards ?

this is with 60MHz FSB?

Reply 892 of 2152, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes - at 180MHz. Edited my post above for clarity.

One of the 2.5 LSD boards here seems to behave more stably under extreme conditions.
Could be my imagination only combined with random factors as we are splitting hairs by pushing the hardware to its limits and the differences are marginal, but at some point it lit up at 4x60 MHz.
Its stamps for reference:

SIS 85C496
9651 PR
SIS'95
PGD3864

SIS 85C497
9649 NU
SIS'95
PGD3129

@chadti99
The LSD board has the IDE connector without a plastic socket so quite often i end-up inserting the IDE2CF adapter incorrectly. Can that be it ?

retro bits and bytes

Reply 893 of 2152, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2022-02-09, 17:59:
Yes - at 180MHz. Edited my post above for clarity. […]
Show full quote

Yes - at 180MHz. Edited my post above for clarity.

One of the 2.5 LSD boards here seems to behave more stably under extreme conditions.
Could be my imagination only combined with random factors as we are splitting hairs by pushing the hardware to its limits and the differences are marginal, but at some point it lit up at 4x60 MHz.
Its stamps for reference:

SIS 85C496
9651 PR
SIS'95
PGD3864

SIS 85C497
9649 NU
SIS'95
PGD3129

@chadti99
The LSD board has the IDE connector without a plastic socket so quite often i end-up inserting the IDE2CF adapter incorrectly. Can that be it ?

It magically started working again 🤣, who knows.

Are you saying you were able to post at 240MHz?

Reply 894 of 2152, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is how it works with this old junk.
---
Just lights. POST does not complete.
It was by accident. I forgot to set the multiplier to 3x and for a moment wondered why out of a sudden the system is hanging. Then noticed it is 4x.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 895 of 2152, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off topic a bit but is there a way to use thermal paste and remove thermal paste on these old ceramic CPU’s without damaging the silk screen? Maybe I’m using the wrong paste or maybe I shouldn’t be using alcohol to clean it off?

Reply 896 of 2152, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes the best approach is a fresh raser blade at about 20 degrees to the chips surface. Ideally, the thermal paste will stick to the heatsink more than the CPU.

Reply 897 of 2152, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it, I can try, the stuff I’m using looks like it discolors the ceramic. Corsair TM30 to be exact. And when I’m done testing and go to wipe it off with an alcohol pad the lettering on top of the cpu fades a bit. Maybe it’s just the alcohol I should avoid. Maybe I should try a white thermal grease style instead.

Reply 898 of 2152, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use acetone for cleaning that stuff.

Btw, remembered something about your IDE2CF adapter.
Few times already the floppy cower connector (PSU side) got loose pins that slide back when insert into the male part on the IDE2CF plug.
It can be missed sometimes, but started happening often enough with one of the test bench PSUs.
Maybe something like that hit you - it is easy to miss it.

retro bits and bytes