VOGONS

Reply 80 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm happy to say that the addition of sysex delay time fixed a bug with a specific midi file that has a sysex message that interrupted the instrument list thus loading incorrect instruments.
It's gone! The Sysex and "Stop inst list" delays are important.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 81 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another AV error.
Highlight the first file and pres delete (keyboard) fast.
Then try to play or delete any other song.

To fix any AV error I just press the Title tab.

Reply 82 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Another AV error.

Fixed. This was also delay related. The side-effect of the fix that you can not delete loaded files fast ( the ones with the arrow) you have to wait while another is loaded (together with the set delay). The slowdown does not affect unloaded (arrow-less)files on the list.

CTF:
I have implemented CTF the way I think it's good for me.
1. If you load an ins file with BankSelMethod=1 then Bank LSB is always discarded. This is good for classic GS devices. You can try this mode with Roland_MS-SoftSynth_GS.ins.
2. If you load an ins file with BankSelMethod=0 then fallback is gradual. If a Bank MSB/LSB combo is valid then Bank LSB preserved. If its invalid then first Bank LSB is discarded. If it results in a valid Bank MSB x/Bank LSB 0 combination then this is the result else MSB 0/LSB 0. You can try the new SC-8850 derived Roland_SCVA-8820.ins file for this mode.
3. Drum fallbacks are fully implemented on all channels (you can try e.g the provided GS_Drums_on_Ch16.syx file). LSB on drums are also supported since SCVA seems to accept LSB variations on drums.

Download location is the same

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 83 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything works, excellent!
This is tremendously useful, Thank you!

Help me understand this;
BankSelMethod=1, will address "Patch[X]" as MSB, it will ignore LSB (CC#32) and always be 0.
BankSelMethod=0, will address each ascending number in a series as LSB, and each 128 series as the next MSB (128-255=MSB1, 256-383=MSB2, 384-511=MSB3, 512-639=MSB4, etc...).
Correct?

Vogoner's have absolutely no idea what they are missing.
I think I need to spread the word.
EDIT: I'll wait then, and test some more. No "spreading the word" without your permission of course.

BTW, Midi-OX is out, FSMP is in.
That is two birds already with one stone. 😀

Last edited by James-F on 2016-06-03, 21:59. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 84 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, exactly.
I.e. Banksel method 0 means full 14 bit addressing which is (MSB << 7) + LSB

Vogoner's have absolutely no idea what they are missing.
I think I need to spread the word.

😀. The release will need a little bit more polish and testing.

Reply 85 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Patch[*]=Roland SCVA-8820 Drumsets
If SC-VA is set to SC-55, the Drum patch fallback will not work correctly.
But the chances that LSB is some crazy number AND the wrong patch, are very slim.

Question.
Will FSMP use the delay time on incoming sysex commands through the Midi In port?
Hopefully not, because the sender should determine the sysex delay time not the "filter" between destinations.

BTW, you really should change the first post to something more official and informative about this player, like a home post.
Currently the first post is a question about Yamaha XG master balance which does not reflect the wonderful content of this thread.

Reply 86 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will FSMP use the delay time on incoming sysex commands through the Midi In port?

No. Midi input is not wired into the player engine. Essentially input is sent 'as is' (except some buffer-less real time transforming as Scale effect and CTF). If it would set an arbitrary delay for sysex messages then the operation could go asynch easily.

BTW, you really should change the first post to something more official and informative about this player, like a home post.

Ok, but I'm not very good and experienced about 'Home posts'. Some suggestions ?

Patch[*]=Roland SCVA-8820 Drumsets
If SC-VA is set to SC-55, the Drum patch fallback will not work correctly.

For SC-55 mode a simpler Bankselmethod =1 definition such as Roland_MS-SoftSynth_GS.ins is recommended. The SCVA-8820 ins file only works correctly in 8820 mode since in the definition the SC-55 mode is a sub mode delegated to a non-capital LSB selected Bank. SC-55 mode in itself would require another ins file (or rather another section in the same ins file since many parts are redundant) that correctly describes its capital tones and banks.
[EDIT]
Actually all the patch information is already in the ins file, only the separate Instrument sections should be created for SC-55, SC-88, SC-88Pro.
[EDIT]
I'm ready with the full SC-VA ins definition file that includes all the possible modes (Roland_SCVA.ins: SC-55, SC-88, SC-88Pro and SC-8820) Yay ! 😀
You can find it in the new version of the player
Download location is the usual.

Reply 87 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well Done!

Info: Roland_MS-SoftSynth_GS.ins is exactly 1:1 the same as SCVA-55 or the hardware SC-55 MKII.
There is no reason to use that now, because we can select SCVA-55 from the new Roland_SCVA.ins.
Drum notes lists can also be removed, they are half the file length and useless in FSMP.

If you can define the Bankselmethod = 0/1 behavior in the FSMP manual this would be helpful for future reference.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-06-04, 08:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 88 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I think the starter post is ready.

Info: Roland_MS-SoftSynth_GS.ins is exactly 1:1 the same as SCVA-55

Not exactly, just essentially. 😀 CM-64 maps are missing from Roland_MS-SoftSynth_GS.

If you can define the Bankselmethod = 0/1 behavior in the FSMP manual this would be helpful for future reference.

I will try to. Bankselmethod/Ins file description that can be used (and easy to understand):
http://tse3.sourceforge.net/doc/InsFiles.html

[EDIT]

I'll wait then, and test some more. No "spreading the word" without your permission of course.

You do not need my 'permission' for anything, You can inform anyone if you want. The more testers the better. That sentence just referred to the actual snapshot.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2016-06-04, 08:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 89 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great first post.

Falcosoft wrote:

Info: Roland_MS-SoftSynth_GS.ins is exactly 1:1 the same as SCVA-55

Not exactly, just essentially. 😀 CM-64 maps are missing from Roland_MS-SoftSynth_GS.

The CM-64 map at var 126 is missing from the SC-55 MKII official manual, only MT-32 is specified at variation 127. 😵
But it is specified in later SC models manuals as part of SC-55 at var 126.

I contacted Tobias the loopMIDI author, he'll fix the buggy sysex implementation and add proper buffers and chunk numbers to emulate real cable with hardware buffer.
I like loopMIDI because I can set the number of cables manually, and it's the only one that works with x64 applications.
Once he fixes the sysex bugs, I'll return to it from MIDI Yolk.

You do not need my 'permission' for anything, You can inform anyone if you want. The more testers the better. That sentence just referred to the actual snapshot.

Alright then, lets start by infesting the SC-VA thread!

Reply 90 of 1675, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome. Can't wait to test World of Xeen with this.

Question - currently, my MIDI stack looks like this:
DOSBox->LoopMIDI->SAVIHost->Sound Canvas VA->WinAudio

Does this MIDI player replace something in this stack, or does it go between two things there?

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 91 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How to utilize FSMP capital tone fallback with Dosbox and SC-VA:

First download latest FSMP development version from the first post.
You have to have loopMIDI or MIDI-Yoke as virtual midi cable.
Optional: Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth to set default MIDI MAPPER.

* Create two loop cables with loopMIDI (IN to FSMP, OUT from FSMP)

1. Set default MIDI MAPPER in Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth so that Dosbox outputs its midi signal to it automatically.

Default MAPPER.png
Filename
Default MAPPER.png
File size
29.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

2. In FSMP setting activate the Input Midi and set it to the desired input midi cable from which Dosbox will send midi signals, and Output Midi to what will enter SC-VA.
You can always use Soundfonts if you like instead of SC-VA.

FSMP 1.png
Filename
FSMP 1.png
File size
47.6 KiB
Views
File license

3. Select Custom Patch Definitions and choose SC-VA.ins and the proper SC-XX model you are going to set in SC-VA "Map Mode" (SC-55 in most cases).
Make sure you select "Use Patch Info for Capital Tone Fallback".

FSMP 2.png
Filename
FSMP 2.png
File size
33.89 KiB
Views
File license
FSMP 3.png
Filename
FSMP 3.png
File size
47.75 KiB
Views
File license

4. Set SAVIHost Midi Input to what you set in FSMP as Midi Output, and set SC-VA "Map Mode" to whatever you set the instrument map in FSMP (preferably SC-55).

FSMP 4.png
Filename
FSMP 4.png
File size
184.97 KiB
Views
File license

Dosbox -> loopMIDI In -> FSMP > loopMIDI Out -> SC-VA.

You can do the same with a retro PC and any Synth hardware.
PC -> USB-MIDI In -> Laptop with FSMP -> USB-MIDI Out -> Hardware MIDI Synth.

Yes, CTF works and all the games that have wrong bank variation with capital only instruments, or wrong patch number on the Drum track are fixed without modifying the game.
The problematic games: Sound Driver Enhancement Hacks - General MIDI

This is useful not only with games but also with midi music files that are corrupt or badly programmed with wrong CC#0 and/or CC#32 values.
I just leave the CTF feature enabled at all times and route all my midi through FSMP to SC-VA or SC-55 hardware.
I use Midi-OX to parallel the Midi Output from FSMP to both SC-VA and SC-55 for testing.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-06-10, 10:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 92 of 1675, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Falco, how about adding "minimize to tray" option when FSMP used only as a CTF filter in the background, and not as a full blown midi player?
I really miss a Minimize button in general but now that FSMP can be used exclusively as an instrument filter, minimize to tray has its usefulness.

Reply 93 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
There is a 'Minimize' option in the main menu. Moreover clicking the player's taskbar button/icon minimizes it (it works just like any other window). Are more minimize options necessary ?
BTW with closed playlist & piano the player occupies very little area of the screen.

Reply 94 of 1675, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something's not right.

In World of Xeen, whenever I fire an arrow, I hear a single acoustic bass note.

If I disable "Use Patch Info for Capital Tone Fallback," then the arrow sound seems to be a low volume version of footsteps.

If I bypass the MIDI player and set DOSBox to use the "In to FSMP" port, the results are the same as disabling CTF patch info.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 95 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@thecrankyhermit:
James-F has written in this topic:
Apparently not all GS-only sc-55s are the same, some are GM

This transformation fixes World of Xeen CTF when Walking (Footstep variation) and Shooting an Arrow (Acoustic Bass capital) on the same channel.
After the transformation fix, on channel 9, when you shoot an arrow it first changes CC#0 to 0 (capital) and then calls for "Acoustic Bass", like it should be.
Works perfectly with SC-VA.

According to this it seems acoustic bass is the right note. If it's not then you should find out what set/note would be the right one so I could correct it. Unfortunately I cannot test this case (missing game, and since I have never played it I would not know what I'm hearing is the right one).

[EDIT]
You can test other definitions (e.g. SCVA-88, 88pro, 8820) maybe the wrong note can be corrected this way .

Reply 96 of 1675, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This topic says there's supposed to be an arrow sound effect:
Calling all Roland SCC-1A Owners

Using one of the Xeen games or both in Worlds, in the install program select "Roland Canvas/GS" for Music/FX and None for Speech. Run the game, start new a game and immediately fire an arrow without moving. You should hear an arrow sound effect. Then move your characters forward a step or two, then fire a few more arrows.

I don't have a real SC-55, so I can't test this myself, but I figure Great Hierophant would know this.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 97 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

James-F also has a real SC-55, so soon he's going to reveal what the truth is. 😀

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2016-06-05, 11:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 98 of 1675, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried your program under Wine but seeing this makes me wish Linux had better MIDI stuff, like a BASSMIDIDriver and\or a more fully developed FluidSynth.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 99 of 1675, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are some games where the CTF makes a big difference? If Xeen is limited to arrows repeating a sound effect instead of a very soft acoustic bass tone, that's pretty subtle.

Side note, with Microsoft GS Synth (no FSMP passthrough), Xeen plays the acoustic bass on firing every arrow. Does that mean Microsoft GS Synth does CTF?

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM