VOGONS

Reply 40 of 49, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-26, 16:34:

I have that same LSI card, it does work to boot DOS without drivers. Your card's BIOS may be disabled.

Another possibility: the card may not install its own BIOS int 13 routines if you have the main system BIOS setup with an IDE hard disk. If you try to boot from a floppy with *only* a SCSI disk connected it should appear as drive C:

ok i did try that and don't think my mobo has it own bios int 13 and where in bios setting would it in to enable scsi bios etc, if i can

Reply 41 of 49, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:08:

I have that same LSI card, it does work to boot DOS without drivers. Your card's BIOS may be disabled.

Another possibility: the card may not install its own BIOS int 13 routines if you have the main system BIOS setup with an IDE hard disk. If you try to boot from a floppy with *only* a SCSI disk connected it should appear as drive C:

ok i did try that and don't think my mobo has it own bios int 13 and where in bios setting would it in to enable scsi bios etc, if i can

If the board has onboard IDE, it has int 13 in the BIOS. It would be pointless having IDE connectors without BIOS support.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 43 of 49, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:35:

Just set the main bios to "no hard drives "

i did do that and it still won't see the hdd and install dos 6.22 despite the scsi card bios appears during post and only can seem to get to work with drivers installed on a boot floppy and i did try the card and hdd in my windows 98 pc and no issues there, it see everything and works

maybe the scsi card is too new for my 486 mobo

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2020-11-26, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 49, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:20:
Robhalfordfan wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:08:

If the board has onboard IDE, it has int 13 in the BIOS. It would be pointless having IDE connectors without BIOS support.

oh i did not know that, learn something new everyday, thank you

Reply 45 of 49, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your scsi HDD set to ID 0?

If you press the displayed key combination to enter the lsi card's configuration do you find any options related to booting or int 13?

Reply 46 of 49, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-26, 21:50:

Is your scsi HDD set to ID 0?

If you press the displayed key combination to enter the lsi card's configuration do you find any options related to booting or int 13?

when loading the drivers in pure dos on my 486 and using the config program for it - it say it scsi id 0 and see and works etc

when i do not load the drivers on 486 it doesn't see anything

when i try it in p4 win98 build, not a single issue and work no problem - i am probably guessing the card is too new for a 486 pc as the card is dated 1999 and my 486 bios is dated 1995

and there's no key combo on my 486 but in win 98 pc, there is a key combo to enter it config

Reply 47 of 49, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote on 2020-11-25, 12:59:

i did cross my mind to keep the old seagate drive for the sounds and slight nostalgia and use a cf/sd/scsi card/adapter for performance increase on games where this build meets the requirements no issues but doesn't preform well as i said pure dos is ok (so far) but in windows 3.11, some don't, despite meet well above min system requirements

i figured out what was causing performance hit in windows 3.11 - after trial and error messing with cpu and ram (not seeing any different) - it turned out it was the sound card that was slowing it down

originally i wanted to use my sound blaster pro 2 but because of the clock chip on the card at 14 odd mhz and when try the pc without the sound card, i saw there was performance increase and so i took out my soundblaster 16 (which the clock chip is at 40 odd mhz) and everything in windows seem to run smoother and better

guess the old saying rings true - your pc is only as fast as it slowest component and i am assuming the pci bus (graphics card) was being "slowed down" to keep in sync with isa bus (sound balster pro 2)

Reply 48 of 49, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 4x FC1307A adapters and the first fat16 partition has NEVER disappeared.

My proposition is
maybe it's a problem with the formatting program? I format my sd cards ONLY in FDISK MSDOS 6.22 by creating a primary partition and then formatting via 'format c:' command (max 2gb) - reset pc after
I'm using this method on 4 different pc, mostly with slot1 - pentium 2, and one athlon xp
also, my second partition is always fat32
and first and only time i do need use 'fdisk /mbr'

it never disappeared
best regards

Reply 49 of 49, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dragonkn wrote on 2022-12-18, 18:25:
I have 4x FC1307A adapters and the first fat16 partition has NEVER disappeared. […]
Show full quote

I have 4x FC1307A adapters and the first fat16 partition has NEVER disappeared.

My proposition is
maybe it's a problem with the formatting program? I format my sd cards ONLY in FDISK MSDOS 6.22 by creating a primary partition and then formatting via 'format c:' command (max 2gb) - reset pc after
I'm using this method on 4 different pc, mostly with slot1 - pentium 2, and one athlon xp
also, my second partition is always fat32
and first and only time i do need use 'fdisk /mbr'

it never disappeared
best regards

Whether the issue is triggered or not depends on partitioning tool used, according to my experience. This thread gives some examples of what works and what does not .Using a vintage multi-track recorder as a mixer, namely the Roland VS-880EX - might apply to other Roland VS- units