VOGONS

Doom 'MBF' for DOS, Maintenance release 2.04

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 230, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone noticed that MAP02 music on Final DOOM TNT: Evilution sound slightly different in comparison to the original DOS executable that was shipped with the game?

There is one note that doesn't seem to play on MBF.

Reply 221 of 230, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-24, 06:34:

Same here. I use MBF almost exclusively now to play DOOM in DOS. Too bad it does not extend to Heretic/Hexen. 😀

I'd love an engine update like this for Strife, it has some complicated levels and a draw distance that the low res DOOM engine can't handle nicely.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 222 of 230, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In reality Hexen also painfully needs high resolution, because the arwork is so detailed, but the low resolution just does not let it shine.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 223 of 230, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2021-08-06, 00:38:

I'd love an engine update like this for Strife, it has some complicated levels and a draw distance that the low res DOOM engine can't handle nicely.

So a DOS port of SVStrife then?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 224 of 230, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stopping by to say thank you to @gerwin and @crvs for the updated port. I have been trying out various DOS ports fromSMMU to Doom Legacy to more exotic stuff like Steve's Boom or Caves of Despair Eternity Engine build. With the ICH7 machines I have been running original games worked very nice, but source ports had all manner of issues from segfaults to sound setup problems. None of that has come up with MBF 2.04 so far, so I may have settled finally on my personal preference for playing Doom in 320x200.

I have two questions
- if I prefer the convenience of Windows 98 for running DOS games, would it matter which DOS extender the port has been engineered to use?
- does MBF have support for MAPINFO of any sort? E.g. if wad has secret level entries/exits on different levels compared to original ID games, would it handle this?

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7/rev2.0 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8Gb DDR3 1033
Radeon RX570 8Gb - Yamaha YMF744B-R PCI - X3MB Buran MPU-401
WDC 80Gb IDE ~ Win 98 SE - TOSHIBA 3Tb SATA ~ Win 10 Pro 64bit - Pioneer SATA BD-ROM/DVD+RW

Reply 225 of 230, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ludicrous_peridot wrote on 2021-08-17, 15:58:

- if I prefer the convenience of Windows 98 for running DOS games, would it matter which DOS extender the port has been engineered to use?

DPMI server like CWSDPMI or HDPMI aren't necessary when running within a Windows 9x environment because the OS can be used as one.

However in one of my two old machines this port only worked on a pure DOS environment but on the other one it worked without any problems.

Reply 226 of 230, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, i've got a question about the aspect ratio in this source port. I'm playing on Pentium 233 laptop that can't properly handle 320x200, the game is squeezed and can't be stretched on an internal monitor.

097CEA2B-CC49-4BA1-A3A9-FC0C1B08C8E7.jpeg
Filename
097CEA2B-CC49-4BA1-A3A9-FC0C1B08C8E7.jpeg
File size
598.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So I'm looking for an authentic DOS port with a proper 4:3 aspect ratio...

Reply 227 of 230, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At some stage I implemented a stretch_blit to 800x600 and 1024x768, but this part was removed. A monitor with scaling options is a better solution. Ideally MBF is modified so it renders to custom resolutions directly, but that takes effort, and will make the engine less 'lean and mean'. There is always the Eternity Engine when MBF does not suffice.

😭

Reply 228 of 230, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

16:10 320x200 / 640x400 is an authentic part of the old laptop experience!!!

There's some early Chips & Tech messy 4:3 aspect stretching on some laptops and TSRs about it. Maybe it's possible your laptops has a C&T (though more often, P2 laptops of the time had Neomagic)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 229 of 230, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I'm already using this VEXP tool. Problem is that on Toshiba it really stretches the screen, but on my Siemens, everything runs in a tiny window in the center, and this tool stretched it to fullscreen, but with black bars. So I've got an even worse issue in the beginning, but this tool makes it closer to un-VEXP-ed Toshiba.