VOGONS

Reply 220 of 372, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone noticed that MAP02 music on Final DOOM TNT: Evilution sound slightly different in comparison to the original DOS executable that was shipped with the game?

There is one note that doesn't seem to play on MBF.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 221 of 372, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-24, 06:34:

Same here. I use MBF almost exclusively now to play DOOM in DOS. Too bad it does not extend to Heretic/Hexen. 😀

I'd love an engine update like this for Strife, it has some complicated levels and a draw distance that the low res DOOM engine can't handle nicely.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 222 of 372, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In reality Hexen also painfully needs high resolution, because the arwork is so detailed, but the low resolution just does not let it shine.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 223 of 372, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2021-08-06, 00:38:

I'd love an engine update like this for Strife, it has some complicated levels and a draw distance that the low res DOOM engine can't handle nicely.

So a DOS port of SVStrife then?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 224 of 372, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stopping by to say thank you to @gerwin and @crvs for the updated port. I have been trying out various DOS ports fromSMMU to Doom Legacy to more exotic stuff like Steve's Boom or Caves of Despair Eternity Engine build. With the ICH7 machines I have been running original games worked very nice, but source ports had all manner of issues from segfaults to sound setup problems. None of that has come up with MBF 2.04 so far, so I may have settled finally on my personal preference for playing Doom in 320x200.

I have two questions
- if I prefer the convenience of Windows 98 for running DOS games, would it matter which DOS extender the port has been engineered to use?
- does MBF have support for MAPINFO of any sort? E.g. if wad has secret level entries/exits on different levels compared to original ID games, would it handle this?

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 225 of 372, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ludicrous_peridot wrote on 2021-08-17, 15:58:

- if I prefer the convenience of Windows 98 for running DOS games, would it matter which DOS extender the port has been engineered to use?

DPMI server like CWSDPMI or HDPMI aren't necessary when running within a Windows 9x environment because the OS can be used as one.

However in one of my two old machines this port only worked on a pure DOS environment but on the other one it worked without any problems.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 226 of 372, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, i've got a question about the aspect ratio in this source port. I'm playing on Pentium 233 laptop that can't properly handle 320x200, the game is squeezed and can't be stretched on an internal monitor.

097CEA2B-CC49-4BA1-A3A9-FC0C1B08C8E7.jpeg
Filename
097CEA2B-CC49-4BA1-A3A9-FC0C1B08C8E7.jpeg
File size
598.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So I'm looking for an authentic DOS port with a proper 4:3 aspect ratio...

Reply 227 of 372, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At some stage I implemented a stretch_blit to 800x600 and 1024x768, but this part was removed. A monitor with scaling options is a better solution. Ideally MBF is modified so it renders to custom resolutions directly, but that takes effort, and will make the engine less 'lean and mean'. There is always the Eternity Engine when MBF does not suffice.

😭

Reply 228 of 372, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

16:10 320x200 / 640x400 is an authentic part of the old laptop experience!!!

There's some early Chips & Tech messy 4:3 aspect stretching on some laptops and TSRs about it. Maybe it's possible your laptops has a C&T (though more often, P2 laptops of the time had Neomagic)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 229 of 372, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I'm already using this VEXP tool. Problem is that on Toshiba it really stretches the screen, but on my Siemens, everything runs in a tiny window in the center, and this tool stretched it to fullscreen, but with black bars. So I've got an even worse issue in the beginning, but this tool makes it closer to un-VEXP-ed Toshiba.

Reply 231 of 372, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, @gerwin
I was experimenting with building an early (historic) DOS beta version of EE against your modified liballegro, and then went on to replace platform-specific code for video and audio with your VESA code and allegro sound routines.
Was amazed to find that a rather straightforward exercise by the way!

A question to you: from license standpoint, would MBF 2.04 license allow that? I know that EE was GPL by that time, so hacking on its code should be ok, but I'm not sure about MBF.

The source code is available: https://gitlab.com/ludicrous_peridot/cod10mbf

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 232 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ludicrous_peridot wrote on 2021-11-09, 13:51:

Hi, @gerwin
I was experimenting with building an early (historic) DOS beta version of EE against your modified liballegro, and then went on to replace platform-specific code for video and audio with your VESA code and allegro sound routines.
Was amazed to find that a rather straightforward exercise by the way!

Glad to hear that. I just looked up my i_vgavbe.c and sound driver sources again; I suppose my code commenting and formatting may be frowned upon, but that should not matter much when the code works well.
I did not know what the "COD" in your project name meant, but that would be an abbreviation for Caverns of Darkness. As I also found you recent log here: DoomWorld forum topic. Very interesting!

ludicrous_peridot wrote on 2021-11-09, 13:51:

A question to you: from license standpoint, would MBF 2.04 license allow that? I know that EE was GPL by that time, so hacking on its code should be ok, but I'm not sure about MBF.
The source code is available: https://gitlab.com/ludicrous_peridot/cod10mbf

MBF v2.03 was GPL2. I did not change anything about that, I don't even know if I can. There is a 'COPYING' file included in the MBF 2.04 source.
As for allegro 3.0; it seems to say that it is 'swap-ware', whereas a later version like 4.4.3 says 'gift-ware'. With further explanations that are very reasonable and allow for both our hobby projects.

vorob wrote on 2021-08-27, 20:48:

Saves are incompatible between original doom and this port?

Yes, incompatible. It was already like that in the original MBF port.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 233 of 372, by adamastor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Gerwin.

I just wanted to congratulate you on the work you're doing on Killough's legacy. I sometimes use your version, alongside the original MBF and BOOM (and now Gibbon's ReBOOM) to play more complex PWADs in DOSBox, such as THT: Threnody, and it mostly runs fine.

Keep up the great work.

Reply 234 of 372, by deleted_acc1

User metadata
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-08-06, 05:03:

In reality Hexen also painfully needs high resolution, because the arwork is so detailed, but the low resolution just does not let it shine.

I totally agree. For Heretic there is Hexetic port in which author wanted to make hexen support, but later port was abandoned. Support 640x480. Maybe in the future someone will add Hexen support, since the sources are open.

Reply 235 of 372, by halfmoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-05, 16:31:

Has anyone noticed that MAP02 music on Final DOOM TNT: Evilution sound slightly different in comparison to the original DOS executable that was shipped with the game?

I encountered something similar with Doom1 using MBF - the score/intermission screen (after you finish a level) music seems to not play some notes or something during the beginning of the track - first 2 seconds or so with the drums. Using MIDI - not sure about FM. Tried with both the most recent build posted by crvs as well as the version from 1998 and the issue seems present in both. Tested using DOS 7.1 on a Pentium 3 with a Yamaha Audician ISA sound card using external MIDI. Using the same setup with the original Doom exe works perfectly.

Reply 236 of 372, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in 2015, I compiled an MBF-based binary for HacX 1.2. It features only minor changes in the actual code, but it also includes a new Allegro SETUP.EXE with the title screen art from HacX as the background instead of the Doom art which is used in the MBF 2.04 SETUP version.

I decided to revisit this whole experience, but I cannot remember how I compiled that SETUP binary with a different background picture. Any help?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 237 of 372, by crvs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
halfmoon wrote on 2022-06-21, 18:46:

I encountered something similar with Doom1 using MBF - the score/intermission screen (after you finish a level) music seems to not play some notes or something during the beginning of the track - first 2 seconds or so with the drums. Using MIDI - not sure about FM. Tried with both the most recent build posted by crvs as well as the version from 1998 and the issue seems present in both. Tested using DOS 7.1 on a Pentium 3 with a Yamaha Audician ISA sound card using external MIDI. Using the same setup with the original Doom exe works perfectly.

Can you try this .EXE?

Attachments

• Filename
    MBF.7z
    File size
    507.02 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 238 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote on 2022-06-21, 20:03:

Back in 2015, I compiled an MBF-based binary for HacX 1.2. It features only minor changes in the actual code, but it also includes a new Allegro SETUP.EXE with the title screen art from HacX as the background instead of the Doom art which is used in the MBF 2.04 SETUP version.

I decided to revisit this whole experience, but I cannot remember how I compiled that SETUP binary with a different background picture. Any help?

Setup.exe is part of the full build of Allegro game library from the source. It gets build automatically when you build Allegro with all options enabled. It embeds setup.dat inside the setup.exe binary. You have to edit the contents of setup.dat with the Allegro grabber or dat tool, so that it holds the desired background image. Those two tools also get build with Allegro.
Of course for Doom MBF I made this modified Allegro 3.0, with better sound drivers and such. AFAIK Both Allegro 3.0 original and modified only properly compile with 1997 DJGPP sofware. Earlier in this topic I mentioned the exact packages and versions.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 239 of 372, by halfmoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crvs wrote on 2022-06-21, 22:54:
halfmoon wrote on 2022-06-21, 18:46:

Can you try this .EXE?

I just tried and it seems like the issue is still the same. Are you able to replicate the issue using MIDI/MPU-401 music? I'm not sure if it's a missing note or it's hitching but it happens a few times in those first couple of seconds. It's less obvious when listening to a Sound Canvas but all my other MIDI synths really make the issue obvious.