VOGONS

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’m putting together a Batman’s revenge Socket 4 build in an ATX case becuase that’s what I’ve got.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … atman-s-revenge

I’ve got the one with the PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Here’s what I haveput together so far:

• Pentium 60
  • 32 MB Ram
  • 2GB DOM
  • ATX back plate that fits the board
  • NEC USB 2.0 card wired to the front panel ports
  • Rplaced switch in the front panel with a latching switch and got that connected to the power supply
  • Black optical drive and floppy that match the case

Looking for input on a couple things:

The case has an AC97 connector for front audio ports. Are there any isa sound cards that are easier to hook up to that?

Should I put in a NIC?

I was going to use PCI mach 64 video card since that is sort of period correct and has a nice opening animation. Anyone want to tell me why I should use a different brand?

Reply 1 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both Vibra16 and AWE64 have the pins for audio output, but I don't know if it is compatible with AC97 or not.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Modern ISA cards like Orpheus 2 or the AWE64 Legacy have the AC97 connector but original ISA cards predate AC97.

In theory you could create an adapter but this isn't a quick and easy job and not aware of anyone that has bothered.
Connecting front panel audio with SB16

Adding a PC to the network is definitely worth it. Once you get used to copying files over the network you'll never look back.
You can also play network games (even if only with yourself) It's even possible to play against a game running in dosbox although never done it myself.

I've a Mach 64 VLB in my 486, for dos games it's fine if a bit boring (I don't get an opening animation)

Personally on a P90 I'd go with something like a ATI Rage or S3 Virge which mostly you'll use as a generic card but have the the bonus of trying out early 3D API's
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
However realistically most of those games don't offer massive improvements over software render, youtube videos exist comparing games if your interested so maybe it is worth keeping the Mach for the animation

Reply 3 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Case is a thermal master, not a themaltake.

Network card is a dlink.

Here are pictures:

Photo Feb 15 2024, 7 33 14 AM.jpg
Filename
Photo Feb 15 2024, 7 33 14 AM.jpg
File size
120.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Photo Feb 15 2024, 7 41 51 AM.jpg
Filename
Photo Feb 15 2024, 7 41 51 AM.jpg
File size
458.32 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Photo Feb 15 2024, 7 34 51 AM.jpg
Filename
Photo Feb 15 2024, 7 34 51 AM.jpg
File size
470.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The sound card is a CT2900 Vibra 16 with the header. Looks like I'll have to make some custom jumper block for it. Anyone have the pinout for JP14 and JP15 on the CT2900 or will I need to do it with trial and error?

https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Creative_Labs_So … ibra_16S_CT2900
https://superuser.com/questions/378082/how-to … ont-audio-panel

Reply 4 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are the pinouts from the sound card

image_67522049.jpg
Filename
image_67522049.jpg
File size
1002.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The card is similar to this, but the labels are different:
https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/C-D/53594.htm

I see 4 jumper blocks on my CT2900 that are interesting:

• PC_SPK -- PC Speaker Input - PC SPK connector?
  • JP13: RSPK_EN - "should be a jumper to enable the PC Speaker"
  • JP14: AUDIO_PWB (but it's a typo and should be AUDIO_PWD?) - Looks like the first 3 pins connect to speaker out
  • Unlabeled -- Looks like this connects to line in

I'll verify what outputs the pins are connected to after work.

http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/sound/Soundblaster.html
Peter said:
RSPRG_EN should be a jumper to enable the "PC Speaker" on machines that can share the speaker among PC ("Beep-beep") and Soundcard. Default is "jumper set".
AUDIO PWD enables the power to the on-card audio amplifier.

Creative Labs Test Point connector.
SB Pro 2 Amplifier Disable

Reply 5 of 7, by George Razvan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-02-15, 03:30:
I’m putting together a Batman’s revenge Socket 4 build in an ATX case becuase that’s what I’ve got. […]
Show full quote

I’m putting together a Batman’s revenge Socket 4 build in an ATX case becuase that’s what I’ve got.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … atman-s-revenge

I’ve got the one with the PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Here’s what I haveput together so far:

• Pentium 60
  • 32 MB Ram
  • 2GB DOM
  • ATX back plate that fits the board
  • NEC USB 2.0 card wired to the front panel ports
  • Rplaced switch in the front panel with a latching switch and got that connected to the power supply
  • Black optical drive and floppy that match the case

Looking for input on a couple things:

The case has an AC97 connector for front audio ports. Are there any isa sound cards that are easier to hook up to that?

Should I put in a NIC?

I was going to use PCI mach 64 video card since that is sort of period correct and has a nice opening animation. Anyone want to tell me why I should use a different brand?

I use a matrox millennium II on a P75. It's quite fast in 2D,3D in out of the question for such a cpu. I use it because it was one of the fastest 2d cards in 1997. If you want a ATI card, why not a Rage IIc PCI?
I don't think you can use that header with a sound card of that era, but if you had a period correct case, you would not even have it.
I see no need for a NIC.

Pentium 75 MHz ,Intel Advanced /ML ,64 MB RAM ,Matrox Millennium II,160 GB 7200 RPM
Pentium Pro 200 MHz, Intel VS440FX,32 MB RAM, Elsa Gloria Synergy,40 GB 7200 RPM
Dual Pentium III 650 MHz,512 MB RAM,3 x 4.5 GB SCSI Quantum Viking II 7200 RPM

Reply 6 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's how the pins traced out from the back. There's only 1/2 the stuff that I need to fill out the AC97 connector.

Photo Feb 17 2024, 11 25 56 AM.jpg
Filename
Photo Feb 17 2024, 11 25 56 AM.jpg
File size
161.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
George Razvan wrote on 2024-02-17, 12:03:

if you had a period correct case, you would not even have it.
I see no need for a NIC.

The thing is that it’s a gateway OEM motherboard that has an AT form factor with ps/2 mouse and keyboard mounted on the board, so I cant just stick it in any AT case. Not that I’m complaining. I like having the PS/2 port and I have plenty of ATX cases.