Topic actions

Reply 8860 of 52832, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

It first appeared long before P4, take a look at this baby:

That is a thing of beauty. Look how clean it is! Ok my new mission in life is to have all my PCBs looking like this.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8861 of 52832, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

It first appeared long before P4, take a look at this baby:

That is a thing of beauty. Look how clean it is! Ok my new mission in life is to have all my PCBs looking like this.

It's the fith or the sixth time I show this picture here, but still:
P1010378.JPG
It's not hard at all! All it takes is some warm water, a wide paintbrush and a piece of soap 😀

Reply 8863 of 52832, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

...It's not hard at all! All it takes is some warm water, a wide paintbrush and a piece of soap 😀

Do you make a final rinse in rubbing alcohol to dilute the water or just let the water dry by itself?

Reply 8864 of 52832, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
It's the fith or the sixth time I show this picture here, but still: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99196890/vogons/P101037 […]
Show full quote

It's the fith or the sixth time I show this picture here, but still:
P1010378.JPG
It's not hard at all! All it takes is some warm water, a wide paintbrush and a piece of soap 😀

Funny, just a couple of days back I did this;
vlcsnap_2015_08_31_15h31m41s387.png

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8865 of 52832, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

Nothing wrong with a basic soap and warm water bath for most electronics, but make sure to use distilled water for final rinse. Regular tap water can leave trace elements that over time (say several years), may foul up exposed copper traces and tin plating on the circuits and solder joints.

Reply 8866 of 52832, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, of swill it down with this;
http://www.houseofswan.com/Media/Default/Prod … ter-fluid-2.jpg

Just make sure the area is well ventilated. I usually wait though, first drying the connector and lightly applying Brasso (Do not press the wadding because it will life the gold!) before waiting a few minutes and rinsing with the petrol.

Reply 8867 of 52832, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked this up at a thrift yesterday. I need an ATX case for a build, and I never see standard, non-proprietary cases at thrifts, just an occasional Dell Dimension or Optiplex. This one has a few bumps and bruises, but no major problems. (Side panel is there -- just took it off for installation.) It was very dusty (still haven't cleaned it fully), and there was stuff rattling around when I picked it up. The screws weren't too tight, so I could remove them without a tool in the store. Turns out that the ratting noise came from a GF 6200 that had come out of its AGP slot. The MB is an Asrock K7S41GX. I didn't have time to research it before I bought it, but I was happy to discover it is a Socket 462 board. So, even if nothing was working (and there was a decent chance of that given the dust and disrepair), the case was worth the $10. If the 40GB HD was working, I could use another IDE drive too for another build.

Turns out everything works fine. The cheapo PS made me a little nervous (L&C Computer Co.), but it seems to be running smoothly. Even has a -5v rail. 2 GB PC3200 memory. Duron 1600. With a BIOS flash, I can go as high as an Athlon XP 3200+. The OS was XP Home, so I loaded 98SE, and Asrock has the drivers right on their website. All in all, a nice little micro ATX board for a fast 98SE system, if you don't need ISA.

P1110682.jpg

Reply 8868 of 52832, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got some stuff from Ukraine today 😀

The first two packages from Ukraine slipped through the net, the package with battery holders, simm sockets and other stuff from the US aaaand A diddnt.

The hosting site Im using is moving to new servers today, thats why the images loads slowly. It should be solved tomorrow, I also uploaded larger versions hosted here on Vogons.

PC Chips M209 286 board with a Harris 20 MHz CPU, a 10 MHz Intel 287 FPU and 1MB memory.

PCChipsM209.jpg

The board has corrosion damage and the area around the battery was covered in nasty goo, even the BIOS chips have corrosion on their legs.

corrosion.jpg

I cleaned up the area temporarily with some vinegar and White Gas. I need to replace the battery and remove the BIOS chips for cleaning later.

better.jpg

Did the board post? Yes it did 😀 I have not done any more testing yet.

PCChipsM209BIOS.jpg

I did also get this Lucky Star LS486E Rev C1 Socket 3 board today, I have not had time to test it yet.

MSILS486ErevC1.jpg

Larger images!

PC_Chips_M209_large.JPG
Filename
PC_Chips_M209_large.JPG
File size
4.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Corrosion_large.JPG
Filename
Corrosion_large.JPG
File size
4.24 MiB
Views
File license
better_large.JPG
Filename
better_large.JPG
File size
4.28 MiB
Views
File license
MSI_LS486E_revC1_large.JPG
Filename
MSI_LS486E_revC1_large.JPG
File size
4.32 MiB
Views
File license

edit MSI ---> Lucky Star

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-09-01, 07:45. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8871 of 52832, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kodai wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Nothing wrong with a basic soap and warm water bath for most electronics, but make sure to use distilled water for final rinse. Regular tap water can leave trace elements that over time (say several years), may foul up exposed copper traces and tin plating on the circuits and solder joints.

Yeah, I rinse delicate stuff in distilled water - but I was curious if "alcohol was involved". I revived a cell phone from a dip in the ocean by first thoroughly submerging and shaking it around in tap water, then repeated with distilled water, then finally alcohol - which basically dilutes the water to nothing then evaporates.

I like that bar soap is used, I was getting tired of seeing Scrubbing Bubbles pictured all the time 😀

Reply 8872 of 52832, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That does it, I'm Coal Tar Soaping the next one so it smells good as well as looks good... Yeah, I'm one of those people who actually like the smell of Coal Tar.

Reply 8873 of 52832, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a LUCKY STAR motherboard, not MSI. I have the revision "d" version, it is a very good performer Like mine it probably has an Award bios with the Y2K bug, just set the year
to 1998 and the days and month will be correct. No bios flash possible as it probably has a non flashable eprom like mine. I used Bios Patcher to update the Bios then burned my
own Eprom with a 27c010, works fine but to be honest, didn't notice any differences.

Attachments

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 8874 of 52832, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:

That's a LUCKY STAR motherboard, not MSI. I have the revision "d" version, it is a very good performer Like mine it probably has an Award bios with the Y2K bug, just set the year
to 1998 and the days and month will be correct. No bios flash possible as it probably has a non flashable eprom like mine. I used Bios Patcher to update the Bios then burned my
own Eprom with a 27c010, works fine but to be honest, didn't notice any differences.

You are correct, I was tired yesterday evening 😀

Im hoping it will be a decent board, It should support up to 66 MHz FSB and a PCI divider for some overclocking fun. I will test it with a DX4 100 later this week, I also have an AMD 5x86p75 but im not 100% sure if it works or not as the board I got it with was dead as a doornail.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8875 of 52832, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I received these cards today:

- an old 16-bit lan card , doubt I'll ever use it:

0PtSptL.jpg

- an 8bit CGA (I think) + lpt card:

NDP4thk.jpg

- an 8bit IDE controller , the most interesting thing in the lot 😊

vHiullw.jpg

Had to peel off the sticker in the BIOS to see what it was so I could read it (Greek shop put a sticker in the bios, it reads: "Warning , destroying the security tape nullifies guarantee")
So the BIOS has this string at the top: "AT-BUS IDE HARD DISK DRIVE INTERFACE ADAPTER IN XT, VERSION 1.0 Copyright 1990, 1991 JUKO"
So the search led me here: http://www.cyberdelix.net/tech/d16-x.htm and here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … ller-Juko-D16-X

also this site here: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm holds a v1.2 image of the bios , though I am not sure it will work with my card since apparently there is also another newer version floating around

I wonder if this controller can work with a CF or if it's any good at all , I will test and report back later...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8876 of 52832, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Yeah, of swill it down with this;
http://www.houseofswan.com/Media/Default/Prod … ter-fluid-2.jpg

Just make sure the area is well ventilated. I usually wait though, first drying the connector and lightly applying Brasso (Do not press the wadding because it will life the gold!) before waiting a few minutes and rinsing with the petrol.

Brasso is abrasive, lighter fluid Is harmful to some sort of plastics.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8877 of 52832, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

.... - an 8bit CGA (I think) + lpt card:....

As far as I know, if there is a LPT port, it most probably be a MDA or Hercules card.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8878 of 52832, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ you are probably right, it must be what you say

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8879 of 52832, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to this old house that was being emptied with a permission to "take what you want". I ended up with this interesting lot. Pentium, Pentium II and a 486/50 plus other related junk. Pentium II had a Voodoo 3 AGP and the 486 had a S3 805 VLB.

Attachments

• pc.jpg
    Filename
    pc.jpg
    File size
    222.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • cards.jpg
    Filename
    cards.jpg