VOGONS

First post, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a few issues getting Toonstruck to run on a legitimate 486 machine. Only issue I'm having is when I try and run the game. I get this error;

Could Not Configure Linear Access To Video Memory
Game Will Play Slow.
Continue? (Y/N)

I have a Cirrus Logic GD5424 (VESA). During setup, it displays the test image at 640x400 without a problem. And as the error suggests, when I do run the game, it just crawls. Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 11, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What 486 are you running it on? I think a 66MHz 486 is the minimum for this game (and it'll probably run slowly). I used to play it on a 75MHz Pentium with 2MB S3 Trio graphics and never had any issues.

Maybe it's a hardware limitation for that particular Cirrus chip?

Reply 4 of 11, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
silentwulf wrote:

It's a 66MHz 486. I do load UVConfig, and it detects the card.

It will run slow with the games minimum requirements. They recommend a Pentium class CPU along with 16MB RAM... It ran better on my old 75MHz Pentium than it did on a 100MHz 486 if that's anything to go by.

Reply 5 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For SVGA point-and-click adventure games a 486 should do fine with enough video throughput, especially PCI. You should even be able to play Star Control 3 (*shudder*) on one of those, if you can put up with watching the pages flip.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not related to config.sys.

So the game comes with univbe? What's the version? Is there a univbe.exe?

I've attached the output of uvconfig when a linear framebuffer is available. Does yours mention the LFB?

Attachments

• dosbox_000.png
    Filename
    dosbox_000.png
    File size
    4.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 11, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is what I get after running UVCONFIG, which seems to be the same as univbe.exe (which doesn't exist on the disc)

Attachments

• DSC01517.jpg
    Filename
    DSC01517.jpg
    File size
    172.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 11, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
silentwulf wrote:

This is what I get after running UVCONFIG, which seems to be the same as univbe.exe (which doesn't exist on the disc)

Looks like it's not finishing/updating or applying VBE 2.0 as there's no confirmation. Maybe try a different version?