VOGONS

First post, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

yesterday, i finished my latest project: Upgrading a P2B-D to 133MHz.
Not only i had to add a jumper, also the clock generator had to be changed.

Maybe due to revisions i only had a ICS9150 on this board, which only supports up to 103 (or 112?) MHz, despite the PDF saying it's 133MHz capable, which it's definitely. So i got my ICS9250s from china and began my work. First attempt was a fail, the board did not post. After checking with my scope and every clock was there, i noticed a loose leg and resoldered the pins with flux and fresh solder. The hotair and flux alone wasn't enough.

After that i had to install the FS3-jumper as described in the tipperlinne-pages (http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-ds150.htm)

Now the board runs rock-solid with 2xP3 1GHz and 133MHz FSB!

I'm using this machine with a Voodoo2SLI-Setup for older games. Installed is Win2K Pro and Win98 (yes, i know, only single cpu).

20190522_172640_resized.jpg
Filename
20190522_172640_resized.jpg
File size
294.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's just plain AWESOME!!! Congrats!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But AGP frequency would be 88,7 MHz, right?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but the pci clock stays at 33.3MHz.
Currently, i'm running the system at 1050MHz (140 * 7.5) which gives me 92.4MHz AGP clock - no issues.
For the AGP i'm using a newer cheap GF FX which drives windows and may come handy for newer DX games.

Reply 5 of 18, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

And here is my Rev 1.03 board stuck at ‎Katmai's

dont know about P2B-D, but with plain P2B I found all the revisions info not apply if you force things (slotkets, jumpers)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 18, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice mod LeFlash. My P2B-D 1.06 with the 9150AF-08 PLL can run 133MHz FSB, but only by changing it by software and I also have to select a different PLL to get there. I actually tried a mod similar to the one you did, but it didn't work as I only had the 9150 PLL.

Ran two 800MHz Coppermines for years at 133MHz FSB on my board rock solid.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

Very nice mod LeFlash. My P2B-D 1.06 with the 9150AF-08 PLL can run 133MHz FSB, but only by changing it by software and I also have to select a different PLL to get there. I actually tried a mod similar to the one you did, but it didn't work as I only had the 9150 PLL.

You can get the 9250-08 cheap on eBay from china. I ordered 5pcs for around $20 because i like to have some spare for possible future projects.
It's a simply drop-in for the 9150-08.

The only important thing is the "-08" because it implies pinout and features. There are other 9x50 outthere with -13 and other numbers, they are completely different and will not work.

Replacing them is a matter of 5-10 minutes with some heat, flux and a steady hand.

Reply 8 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice job, LaFlash.
I always found the P2B-D one of the most iconic boards of the PII/PIII generation and last year I finally got one. My revision is 1.06. It combines the 9250-08 chip with the missing FS3 jumper and runs fsb 133 fine but at that speed the RAM is not happy - only runs ok with 3 sticks. Tipperlinne describes a fix but that is beyond my ability.

outs02a.jpg
Filename
outs02a.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by PARKE on 2019-05-24, 10:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not that confident in my skills. Plus, even if I could fix this, there is still the issue that with this 3-jumper configuration the PCI clock is running at 133/3 and I'm not comfortable with that. Adding that 4th jumper is a bridge too far for me too. Maybe I find a set of 1Ghz fsb 100 SECCS one fine day 😉.

Reply 18 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2020-09-19, 19:05:

The initial post suggest that the clock generators were swapped, but ics9150 is pin incompatible with 9250.
Or do I read it wrong ?

They need to be the -08 version both, there is a crapload of variants of the ICS9150/9250.

Just ordered 3 pcs 9250 to rework my rev. 1.05; and a couple in reserve 😁