VOGONS

First post, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

yesterday, i finished my latest project: Upgrading a P2B-D to 133MHz.
Not only i had to add a jumper, also the clock generator had to be changed.

Maybe due to revisions i only had a ICS9150 on this board, which only supports up to 103 (or 112?) MHz, despite the PDF saying it's 133MHz capable, which it's definitely. So i got my ICS9250s from china and began my work. First attempt was a fail, the board did not post. After checking with my scope and every clock was there, i noticed a loose leg and resoldered the pins with flux and fresh solder. The hotair and flux alone wasn't enough.

After that i had to install the FS3-jumper as described in the tipperlinne-pages (http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-ds150.htm)

Now the board runs rock-solid with 2xP3 1GHz and 133MHz FSB!

I'm using this machine with a Voodoo2SLI-Setup for older games. Installed is Win2K Pro and Win98 (yes, i know, only single cpu).

20190522_172640_resized.jpg

Reply 1 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's just plain AWESOME!!! Congrats!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But AGP frequency would be 88,7 MHz, right?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but the pci clock stays at 33.3MHz.
Currently, i'm running the system at 1050MHz (140 * 7.5) which gives me 92.4MHz AGP clock - no issues.
For the AGP i'm using a newer cheap GF FX which drives windows and may come handy for newer DX games.

Reply 4 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And here is my Rev 1.03 board stuck at ‎Katmai's
Wanna swap 😉

Reply 6 of 18, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice mod LeFlash. My P2B-D 1.06 with the 9150AF-08 PLL can run 133MHz FSB, but only by changing it by software and I also have to select a different PLL to get there. I actually tried a mod similar to the one you did, but it didn't work as I only had the 9150 PLL.

Ran two 800MHz Coppermines for years at 133MHz FSB on my board rock solid.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

Very nice mod LeFlash. My P2B-D 1.06 with the 9150AF-08 PLL can run 133MHz FSB, but only by changing it by software and I also have to select a different PLL to get there. I actually tried a mod similar to the one you did, but it didn't work as I only had the 9150 PLL.

You can get the 9250-08 cheap on eBay from china. I ordered 5pcs for around $20 because i like to have some spare for possible future projects.
It's a simply drop-in for the 9150-08.

The only important thing is the "-08" because it implies pinout and features. There are other 9x50 outthere with -13 and other numbers, they are completely different and will not work.

Replacing them is a matter of 5-10 minutes with some heat, flux and a steady hand.

Reply 8 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice job, LaFlash.
I always found the P2B-D one of the most iconic boards of the PII/PIII generation and last year I finally got one. My revision is 1.06. It combines the 9250-08 chip with the missing FS3 jumper and runs fsb 133 fine but at that speed the RAM is not happy - only runs ok with 3 sticks. Tipperlinne describes a fix but that is beyond my ability.

outs02a.jpg
Last edited by PARKE on 2019-05-24, 10:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're talking about the VTT/Vio-Mod?
Seems relatively simple, especially if you use smd 0603 resistors.

Reply 10 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the R50 replacemenrt job. Simple for many, but not for me - I have 'two left hands' when it comes down to soldering. But I am happy with it as it is.

Reply 11 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you can simply use a big solderblob and iron to heat up both pads of the smd resistor at once and simply swipe the resistor away.
the rest is quite simple. tweezers and a steady hand.

Reply 12 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not that confident in my skills. Plus, even if I could fix this, there is still the issue that with this 3-jumper configuration the PCI clock is running at 133/3 and I'm not comfortable with that. Adding that 4th jumper is a bridge too far for me too. Maybe I find a set of 1Ghz fsb 100 SECCS one fine day 😉.

Reply 13 of 18, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The initial post suggest that the clock generators were swapped, but ics9150 is pin incompatible with 9250.
Or do I read it wrong ?

retro bits and bytes

Reply 14 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is pincompatible, but has an additional pin for the settings. You have to feed it to a jumper to gain access to the settings.

Reply 15 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should try to mail you my p2b-ds 1.04 to mod for me xD great job looks great.

Reply 16 of 18, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, you can.
I should start a retro-upgrade-business 😉

Reply 17 of 18, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome!

Reply 18 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2020-09-19, 19:05:

The initial post suggest that the clock generators were swapped, but ics9150 is pin incompatible with 9250.
Or do I read it wrong ?

They need to be the -08 version both, there is a crapload of variants of the ICS9150/9250.

Just ordered 3 pcs 9250 to rework my rev. 1.05; and a couple in reserve 😁