VOGONS

Reply 40 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For half a second I was excited, was hoping it was an adjustable PLL

2017: Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. 2021: Still starting, heh, many setbacks. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> Taming the pile, specs to target?

Reply 41 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISA EEPROM flashing card...

Not sure of licensing on this one, by publication in this form we may assume I think that one has the right to build it for personal non-commercial use, probably the PCB layout is copyrighted though, so would advise respinning that if you want to make more than personal requirement. http://web.archive.org/web/20050403215640/htt … er/flasheng.htm

2017: Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. 2021: Still starting, heh, many setbacks. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> Taming the pile, specs to target?

Reply 42 of 50, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-11, 14:33:

ISA EEPROM flashing card...

Not sure of licensing on this one, by publication in this form we may assume I think that one has the right to build it for personal non-commercial use, probably the PCB layout is copyrighted though, so would advise respinning that if you want to make more than personal requirement. http://web.archive.org/web/20050403215640/htt … er/flasheng.htm

Original article is still online at https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Pannenhelfer-286064.html in german.

Reply 43 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great! Also searching ISA brings up a lot of interesting stuff.

Reply 47 of 50, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Retro OTA Broadcaster to send Composite Video + Stereo Audio to an old CRT that only has an antenna. Programmable via I2C for which channel frequency you want. (VHF, up to 3 channels switchable via the jumper block -- use only one jumper in the vertical position to select channel -- A maps to CLK0, B maps to CLK1, C maps to CLK2 when programming chip U3) Range is short, maybe 50 feet or so. Check legality of broadcasting on the frequency you choose to program it to. It's made to connect a short F-type coax antenna to for broadcasting, so a small extendable whip antenna will be fine. Uses a 5VDC 5.5x2.1mm jack power supply (1A or greater).

Based on the Isotope Engineering PiMod-Zero for the RF circuit, my Full Can Clock Oscillator project, and the Wideband RF Power Amplifier datasheet for chip U2 and antenna output on the board.

Not tested, boards and parts ordered.

SJE2VDG.png

Attachments

Circuit Board Repair Manuals
My Project List

Reply 48 of 50, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@wiretap As cool as that project is, wouldn't it always be preferable to solder a bypass in the CRT's circuitry to feed a composite signal directly into it, without going through the tuner? Extreme purists might disapprove, but adding a composite mod to TVs that only had RF inputs would be a period-correct thing for tech-savvy tinkerers to do, even back in the day, right?

I guess it might be still be cool to play with if you want to do some actual broadcasting, though.

Reply 49 of 50, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course going directly into the CRT's circuitry would work, if you wanted to tear apart the TV and trace it down. Most people don't want to do that though.

Circuit Board Repair Manuals
My Project List

Reply 50 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2021-09-09, 07:45:

@wiretap As cool as that project is, wouldn't it always be preferable to solder a bypass in the CRT's circuitry to feed a composite signal directly into it, without going through the tuner? Extreme purists might disapprove, but adding a composite mod to TVs that only had RF inputs would be a period-correct thing for tech-savvy tinkerers to do, even back in the day, right?

I guess it might be still be cool to play with if you want to do some actual broadcasting, though.

Need a repro "Pickles and Trout" board or something, not that it looks terribly complicated, the info of where in each set to hook it up is probably more valuable... https://hackaday.com/2021/07/27/black-and-whi … al-input-board/

Edit: Don Lancaster in his classic work "The TV Typewriter Cookbook" expounds upon methods to get video into a TV in Chapter 8... tinaja.com is his website and he offers this free download of his book in pdf format. https://www.tinaja.com/ebooks/tvtcb.pdf

Edit2: We have some current experimenters like Jorge, whose schematics speak the universal language of electronics in his video, even if youtube autotranslate mangles his Spanish a little. Re: HOMEDADE CGA&