VOGONS

Will the Book 8088 be a future classic?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 330, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of the "new models" (at least parallel and serial.... cga or VGA, I will have to find out when it arrives) on its way to me!
I'm really happy to supply a bios dump, if somebody could advise what I should use (on the device) to do it.
DZT Store is stocking it on AliExpress as of today: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005528944 … .4ed81802y4WFOi

Reply 101 of 330, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if there could be any renewed interest in something like the Xircom Pocket Ethernet III concept, with compact 10Base-T RJ45 on the parallel port now.
I've ordered a solution which most say works on an XT class for now - the ISA breakout of course, a Netgear EA201 network card (Netgear claim 8-bit compatible and was BNIB), and then a Vonets VAP11N-300 Wifi bridge, which I will attach to a USB power bank. For something that's a laptop that's a lot to carry around for using mTCP suite!
Does anyone know of a less convoluted setup than this for 8-bit? Cost-wise, people seem to go with this setup (it's about £50 overall).
I understand there are lots of Realtek 8019 chips out in the wild, maybe for someone technical a niche hobby.

Reply 102 of 330, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Parallel PLIP cable is pretty good choice, works with 9x and XP internet connection sharing and ms networking. Of course it ties you to the machine that interfaces it. There is an ESP 8266 or 32 based PLIP one for the Amiga but not sure if it uses 4 bit PLIP which would be PC PLIP compatible or uses the Amiga only 8 bit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 103 of 330, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-09-20, 01:44:

Parallel PLIP cable is pretty good choice, works with 9x and XP internet connection sharing and ms networking. Of course it ties you to the machine that interfaces it. There is an ESP 8266 or 32 based PLIP one for the Amiga but not sure if it uses 4 bit PLIP which would be PC PLIP compatible or uses the Amiga only 8 bit.

Thank you for the nice idea. Unfortunately my only other computer here at uni halls is a Windows 11 laptop, so it would have to be USB converted to ???.... and I understand that this doesn't work with PLIP is that right?

Reply 104 of 330, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ugh yah, 11 might be a stretch too far. I think I've had ICS working through a USB serial on win7, not sure about USB parallel behaving good enough. I think you could probably do a serial connect through USB still, but I doubt the book 8088 will keep up over 19.2kbps or so.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 105 of 330, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-09-21, 14:11:

Ugh yah, 11 might be a stretch too far. I think I've had ICS working through a USB serial on win7, not sure about USB parallel behaving good enough. I think you could probably do a serial connect through USB still, but I doubt the book 8088 will keep up over 19.2kbps or so.

I guess the question is whats my goal - I'm thinking perhaps downloading code over tftp from my laptop "just for fun" or tying to set up remote boot, and I think a major goal for me is accessing BBS's if that's possible somehow.

Did the serial modem emulator device ever get adapted for PC's?

Reply 106 of 330, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

86Box just gained serial passthru in version 4, DOSBox had it for a long time.
Norton Commander Link v3/4 runs on anything, DOS Navigator real mode version should also run on 8086 and has Navigator Link.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 111 of 330, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it is a Cirrus Logic GD542x card that gets shipped with all of the VGA modules, I've found a DOS / Windows 3.0 driver which allows 256 colours and resolution switching.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 0&menustate=0,0

Reply 113 of 330, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@nOp has given me the go-ahead to produce chips with his BIOS (1.0.2) flashed and I now have the equipment here in the UK.
I would charge for this but hopefully you'll feel its a fair price compared to buying your own equipment. DM if this service is helpful to you.
nOp is unable to offer this himself due to his geographic location.

Reply 115 of 330, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well the updated VGA module arrived, it's a Cirrus GD542x which is a solid choice, some are Trident 9000i I think.
From looking up the chip I think it even has 512k of memory which means it has decent Windows 3.0 prospects - I wonder if the screen can do 800x600.
The Book8088 (which I ordered with CGA as it was the week before VGA was released) is taking a little longer to arrive.

Attachments

Reply 116 of 330, by m0rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, i got a ver 2 book 8088 coming and cant wait. All the vga ive seen have been cirrus chips. i also have the first version and am waiting for some parts to "fix" 🤣 . got a couple lcd screens to try as mine has a green pixel stuck and also viewing angles crap. and new speakers as mine seems to crackle/vibrate.

Reply 117 of 330, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
betamax80 wrote on 2023-10-09, 20:53:

Well the updated VGA module arrived, it's a Cirrus GD542x which is a solid choice, some are Trident 9000i I think.

Cool, they're classics. ^^
Some have mode utilities and can be set into CGA, EGA and Hercules emulation modes.
Higher text-mode resolutions, too.
See Re: Realtek realtalk, is it the best VGA for CGA? What is?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 118 of 330, by m0rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

vga version arrived tday and the screen has a stuck green pixel like version 1 🤣 what luck also screen has more blue tint than ver1, oh well will try other lcd when they arrive. only ran few games so far but vga is good. need to get serial mouse as my serial to usb adaptor not work.

Reply 119 of 330, by m0rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

seems some games have screen issue where the image is moved to left, lure of the temptress, seem like the lcd driver tries to auto calibrate but cant lock it in properly. Seem it the lcd adjustment issue where in the manual says to type mode 80 or press fn +f7, but cant do any of these in games to correct.