VOGONS

First post, by zb10948

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to supplement original power supply with a picoPSU. It would matter a lot if I could get away without -5V
I have ISAs in the system, video card, adlib card, XT-IDE.

Would there be any risk of powering up the board without -5VDC present?

Reply 1 of 14, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5150: The -5V is used for dram refresh and cassette circuitry depending on the revision. It was also passed through to the ISA connector. This made the -5V a spec item for years to come as the PC was originally designed with it.
https://minuszerodegrees.net/5150/misc/5150_power.htm

5160: The -5V is only passed through to the ISA connector.
https://minuszerodegrees.net/5160/misc/5160_power.htm

Any ISA supporting system: Some expansion cards require the use of the -5V. For the XT there were some stock expansion IBM options that may use it.

There is no risk at not having -5V in the XT, but it is possible things won't work fully. You need to pull out your cards and trace the -5V, then you'll know.

Reply 2 of 14, by zb10948

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thanks I can proceed into testing.

I gather VGA cards are not known to use this rail?
Btw. I do not have an IBM XT, it's a XT clone from 1986 that's more closer to 5160 than 5150.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/olivetti-m19

Reply 5 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that there are VGA cards using -5V - Re: The Mystery -5V Rail

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sound cards like Sound Blasters (8-Bit) and PAS16 need -5v, too.

If you can't afford a proper PSU, you can still use something like a Voltage Blaster©®™.
Though I'm not a fan of this design myself, personally.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 14, by zb10948

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did not see the mainboard label (on the imgur link) when I posted this question. As displayed, the system doesn't have/require -5V at all.

I'm good with picoPSU I just wanted to get extra info about what that "T" line could be. Everything else I can break out from the pico.
There seems to be no potential between T and G when system is powered. The others are what they say they are on the board label.

Reply 9 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea what it's for, but it's not crucial maybe.

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/oli … addition.69496/

Since PSU is in the monitor, normally, this could be monitor related.

On the other hand, I heard (read) there was an extra PSU for hard disk users available..
Because, the monitor wasn't strong enough in some cases.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 14, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking through a stack of old PSUs , I see that -5 is very low current. -12 is slightly more but still very low.
I'd guess that the '-' supplies are used for bias of some sort or other very low current applications
- I don't think I've ever seen logic/drives or other hardware actually powered from a '-' supply.

Given that PC PSUs are designed to support "worst case" (fully loaded system) - I'd guess that you
could just regulate -12 down(up?) to -5 .

You should of course check the actual current draw on -12 to be sure this doesn't overstress it.

Dave

Reply 11 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XT machine with DIP DRAMs may need that -5V for them, but it depends on what kind of memories it uses.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12 of 14, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveDDS wrote on 2024-01-24, 02:45:

Given that PC PSUs are designed to support "worst case" (fully loaded system) - I'd guess that you

A lot of PSUs from that era were designed that way anyhow ; the -12volt rail is produced by the SMPS output transformer, and the -5volt rail is derived from a linear regulator (7905) connected to that.

Reply 13 of 14, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-24, 03:05:

A lot of PSUs from that era were designed that way anyhow ; the -12volt rail is produced by the SMPS output transformer, and the -5volt rail is derived from a linear regulator (7905) connected to that.

Exactly.
BTW. There is useful page with schematics of various ATX and AT PSUs: https://danyk.cz/s_atx_en.html
You can check that the 7905 linear regulator approach is used in the PC SMPS AT, cca 200W, among others.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 14 of 14, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2024-01-24, 08:34:
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-24, 03:05:

You can check that the 7905 linear regulator approach is used in the PC SMPS AT, cca 200W, among others.

...sigh .. thanks for posting that ~ remarks to a fair simpler time, wherein all we really cared about (or monitored), was whether the +5volt rail was behaving itself or not ... takes me back to the smell of rosin solder =)