VOGONS

First post, by VooGonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could go into a whole litany of what I've got and what I've tried, but my general observation has been that no matter if I'm using a Voodoo 1 or a Voodoo2 initialized as a Voodoo1 using the init variables, in conjunctions with any combination of LX or BX board (or others like via 694x) and Pentium 2 or 3/Celeron slot 1 or socket 370 , as long as the FSB is 100 or less, the oldest of the old 3Dfx games run without graphical glitches or freezes.

As soon as I try say 112 Mhz, I get glitches, and 133 is just a no go. I have my 694x board fsb header wired to a switch to toggle between 100 and 133 using the P3 1000 I currently have seated there - hoping to up that soon to a celeron tualatin 1400 on-chip socket mod'd back to PGA1 so I can remove this switch. On my older BX boards, I plan also to up them from 850/1000 Mhz units with the slotket in conjunction with the on-chip celeron mod Celeron 1400 (1300 if I just can't find one or mod one myself), or at least do one of them this way - I have 4 Abit BE6-II boards. 440bx, the best chipset ever made.

Reply 3 of 4, by VooGonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do not believe this is related to PCB layout because as explained, this happens on multiple different chipsets and multiple kinds of boards. If you are referring to PCB of the video card, I have tested this on 7 different Voodoo1's (some with standard 4MB, 3 being the Canopus Pure 3D with 6 MB), and 5 different Voodoo 2 boards used as Voodoo1's, by priming them during boot using the initialization variables.

https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/3dfx under Getting the best compatibility
Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix Linked to from that article

Specifically the games that I'm talking about that demonstrate this are Whiplash/Fatal Racing, EF 2000 w/Tatcom+ patch, Starfighter 3000, Battle Arena Toshinden and Descent 2 official 3dfx patch. DOS Glide Games List

This started first becoming evident for me back in the day when the first Athlons Cartridge CPU's came along, and the Athlon A 462 socket processors that followed as their purported FSB is 200 Mhz , Actual bus frequency is stated to be 100 MHz, but because the processor uses Double Data Rate bus the effective bus speed is 200 MHz - but is also evident on Intel boards as when I started getting 2nd and 3rd (or 1oth) computers laying around that are socket 370 Intel 815E or the Via 694x, I found that if a CPU that normally operated at 133 Mhz FSB was limited to 100Mhz, these old games run fine. When the FSB is increased slightly, the games still run but with graphical artifacts like black boxes transposed across the view, and when at 133 or higher, the result is a black screen. Trying to play these games on any hardware newer than a Pentium 3 operated at 100 Mhz FSB, or the later celerons (like the Tualitan Celeron which natively operated at 100 mhz fsb), results in a black screen. I honestly first remember I started noticing this with a Slot1 550 MHz Pentium 3 EB that I was easily able to overclock to 733 by increasing the FSB up to 133- sure I could get my CPU to run faster and is ideal for 90% or better of the games I wanted to play back then, but when I wanted to play these games, I had to clock it back for compatibility.

Here is an old post I know I read before that basically agrees with everything I'm going on about.

Monster3D 3Dfx Voodoo1 on 1ghz system hangs

Last edited by VooGonis on 2020-06-09, 13:07. Edited 1 time in total.