VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All my floppy hardware wasn’t working so I ordered goteks

Even got the fancy ones with oled, flash floppy and a dial. Totally loving them so far btw!

But I’m having a issue,

I was able to make a .ima file for the driver files. The same files that I used to use on a floppy when the floppy disks used to work.
I loaded it on the gotek and selected it, in windows ME I can open A: drive and see those files.

I reset and started xp setup push f6 and when I get to the screen I push S but it then asks me to insert a disk into the drive with the files on it.

Reset and go back to ME and drivers are right there in A: for the world to see.

What is the problem?

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-11-21, 07:11. Edited 1 time in total.

🖥Craziest socket 7 build on a 430tx chipset
🖥Dual socket 7 build

Reply 1 of 5, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it's more like a BIOS issue. For example, I have an IBM USB floppy drive and my current BIOS (AMI/AMDX470/Ryzen3900x)reports it correctly, I can use F6 in NT3.1, NT3.51, NT4, 2000 etc. Same drive is not recognized at all on a i7 gen 4 machine.

Reply 2 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OMORES wrote on 2021-11-20, 09:48:

I think it's more like a BIOS issue. For example, I have an IBM USB floppy drive and my current BIOS (AMI/AMDX470/Ryzen3900x)reports it correctly, I can use F6 in NT3.1, NT3.51, NT4, 2000 etc. Same drive is not recognized at all on a i7 gen 4 machine.

This is using the floppy ribbon cable

🖥Dual socket 7 build

Reply 3 of 5, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that, but the point is still valid, F6 part is happening in pure DOS mode, if the BIOS won't report your floppy correctly - there is no floppy... What motherboard are you using?

Your non working floppy can be accessed? (even if can't read properly)

Can you acces your Gotek in DOS?

Reply 4 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OMORES wrote on 2021-11-20, 14:36:
I know that, but the point is still valid, F6 part is happening in pure DOS mode, if the BIOS won't report your floppy correctly […]
Show full quote

I know that, but the point is still valid, F6 part is happening in pure DOS mode, if the BIOS won't report your floppy correctly - there is no floppy... What motherboard are you using?

Your non working floppy can be accessed? (even if can't read properly)

Can you acces your Gotek in DOS?

I can check, it works in windows ME I’ll try booting to dos from it, see if that works.

🖥Dual socket 7 build

Reply 5 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone mentioned that it may be a problem with flash floppy, I think I read somewhere that that can’t be flashed back? It came with flash floppy. Maybe there is a update? Maybe this isn’t the issue? Thoughts?

🖥Dual socket 7 build