VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All my floppy hardware wasn’t working so I ordered goteks

Even got the fancy ones with oled, flash floppy and a dial. Totally loving them so far btw!

But I’m having a issue,

I was able to make a .ima file for the driver files. The same files that I used to use on a floppy when the floppy disks used to work.
I loaded it on the gotek and selected it, in windows ME I can open A: drive and see those files.

I reset and started xp setup push f6 and when I get to the screen I push S but it then asks me to insert a disk into the drive with the files on it.

Reset and go back to ME and drivers are right there in A: for the world to see.

What is the problem?

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-11-21, 07:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 5, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's more like a BIOS issue. For example, I have an IBM USB floppy drive and my current BIOS (AMI/AMDX470/Ryzen3900x)reports it correctly, I can use F6 in NT3.1, NT3.51, NT4, 2000 etc. Same drive is not recognized at all on a i7 gen 4 machine.

My best video so far.

Reply 2 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OMORES wrote on 2021-11-20, 09:48:

I think it's more like a BIOS issue. For example, I have an IBM USB floppy drive and my current BIOS (AMI/AMDX470/Ryzen3900x)reports it correctly, I can use F6 in NT3.1, NT3.51, NT4, 2000 etc. Same drive is not recognized at all on a i7 gen 4 machine.

This is using the floppy ribbon cable

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 5, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know that, but the point is still valid, F6 part is happening in pure DOS mode, if the BIOS won't report your floppy correctly - there is no floppy... What motherboard are you using?

Your non working floppy can be accessed? (even if can't read properly)

Can you acces your Gotek in DOS?

My best video so far.

Reply 4 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OMORES wrote on 2021-11-20, 14:36:
I know that, but the point is still valid, F6 part is happening in pure DOS mode, if the BIOS won't report your floppy correctly […]
Show full quote

I know that, but the point is still valid, F6 part is happening in pure DOS mode, if the BIOS won't report your floppy correctly - there is no floppy... What motherboard are you using?

Your non working floppy can be accessed? (even if can't read properly)

Can you acces your Gotek in DOS?

I can check, it works in windows ME I’ll try booting to dos from it, see if that works.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone mentioned that it may be a problem with flash floppy, I think I read somewhere that that can’t be flashed back? It came with flash floppy. Maybe there is a update? Maybe this isn’t the issue? Thoughts?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-