Reply 59820 of 59852, by bofh.fromhell
- Rank
- Oldbie
MattRocks wrote on 2026-10-03, 21:10:Buying a CNC machine would be extravagant for making just the occasional backplate.
I think its a laser cutter, which also would explain the engraving.
MattRocks wrote on 2026-10-03, 21:10:Buying a CNC machine would be extravagant for making just the occasional backplate.
I think its a laser cutter, which also would explain the engraving.
I would hazard a guess that the cheapest power tool do it, in not too thick aluminum, or brass which you can tin or nickel plate, would be with one of the beefier dremels that also has a router table available. Then use the thinnest metal routing bit to go round the outline, and do the engraving with an engraving bit through a stencil. But if you wanna go super old skool and hand powered, a fret saw or jewelers saw very carefully in a vice.
Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.
Just got home with an IBM PS/1 type 2121, complete with monitor. At home I found an IBM keyboard that is almost the same date as the machine. Paid 70eur, because the monitor has the collapsed vertical, probably a few capacitors to change, just need the time. In the meantime I cleaned it inside and outside, reading floppys just normally, the hard disk also does not emit any weird sound. Just a very healthy machine to add to the collection.
What would be a good sound card to pair it with? An adlib?
Maybe something like a Sound Blaster 2.0, or a modern equivalent like the Sonic Buster 8: Sonic Buster 8: A NEW 8-bit ISA sound card with OPL3.
Jccwu wrote on 2026-10-03, 16:50:Living wrote on 2026-10-03, 16:31:Jccwu wrote on 2026-10-02, 13:58:Rate my new enrgaved brackets
can we get an STL for 3d print?
This is a 2D sketch for AutoCAD. Now with logo.
Thank you!
more pictures
pan069 wrote on 2026-10-03, 20:15:Jccwu wrote on 2026-10-03, 16:37:G-X wrote on 2026-10-03, 12:54:Looks cool. Intending to sell these or just for hobby?
What metal is it made of? Has a kind of brushed aluminium look to it ... or is it steel?
I’ve been selling them for several years now.
Do you have brackets for Sound Blaster 1.0 / 1.5 and/or Snark Barker by any chance? Is it OK for me to contact you directly?
Have one, but it's unlikely i'll be able to send it you from Russia
Martin85 wrote on 2026-10-04, 08:41:Just got home with an IBM PS/1 type 2121, complete with monitor. At home I found an IBM keyboard that is almost the same date as the machine. Paid 70eur, because the monitor has the collapsed vertical, probably a few capacitors to change, just need the time. In the meantime I cleaned it inside and outside, reading floppys just normally, the hard disk also does not emit any weird sound. Just a very healthy machine to add to the collection.
What would be a good sound card to pair it with? An adlib?
PAS and GUS were out that year, but they make soundblaster 2.0 or Pro look cheap and plentiful.
Edit: I guess the way to make the PAS or GUS look cheap and plentiful is to look for the actual IBM audio option, the PS/1 Audio Card, which that machine should have a header for
https://pixelatedarcade.com/tech_attributes/o … ps-1-audio-card
But I believe it is semi-hardware replicated/emulated in projects such as picomem and tandy lpt.
Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.
Finally found a board for my tualatin piii-s 1.4ghz with isa. Cpu hadn't been powered up for more than a decade
Main:Z440/1650V4/3060Ti/64GB/iFiZenDACV1/KlipschProMedia2.1THX/Philips 43PUS8808/12
98/DOS:VIA 133T/Pentium iii-S 1.4GHz/Quadro2 Pro/Vortex2/ESS1868f/SC-55/SC-88Pro/LG StudioWorks 995e
XP:Edge72/3570K/GTX970/X-FiTi
gmaverick2k wrote on 2026-10-04, 20:35:Finally found a board for my tualatin piii-s 1.4ghz with isa. Cpu hadn't been powered up for more than a decade
Such a strike of luck!
Tell me it was cheap to get, that would be the cherry on top.
PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K
- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.
My local value village actually had a stack of CD-drives sitting around which surpised me. Picked out two somewhat randomly, a creative rebrand of the Sony CDU-33A. Sadly I don't have a compatible sound card or the controller card so it's a shelf ornament at the moment. Also got an Actima A24A. The Sony is pretty well known, but I have an imgur album of pics from the Actima when I went in to service it, I've not seen an internal contruction like it, so it was pretty interesting to work on. The mechanism and PCB are secured to the bottom plate which was nice compared to Nec/Liteon/ect where the pcb has a tendency to just flop around. Turns out it was spotless beyond the tray belt being a bit tired. Works much better then the dying drive I had in my Vectra VE so a wins a win. (And it's much more quiet being a 24x instead of a 52x!)
Nexxen wrote on 2026-10-04, 21:31:gmaverick2k wrote on 2026-10-04, 20:35:Finally found a board for my tualatin piii-s 1.4ghz with isa. Cpu hadn't been powered up for more than a decade
Such a strike of luck!
Tell me it was cheap to get, that would be the cherry on top.
Fifty quid for a part of a system with an FX series card. Via133t chipset
Main:Z440/1650V4/3060Ti/64GB/iFiZenDACV1/KlipschProMedia2.1THX/Philips 43PUS8808/12
98/DOS:VIA 133T/Pentium iii-S 1.4GHz/Quadro2 Pro/Vortex2/ESS1868f/SC-55/SC-88Pro/LG StudioWorks 995e
XP:Edge72/3570K/GTX970/X-FiTi
I got an HP Kayak XU800, the front bezel luckily survived. Which is nice. And other miraculous things happened at the same time, because;
-the fan duct came in 10 pieces and lies on the bottom, and did not damage any other components.
-the Wildcat 4110 got a hit and got warped a bit. The retention/fixing clip from the case broke off, the card itself is a-ok! AGP slot looks good.
-both CPU's have about three millimeter clearance between the die and heatsink, because of the plastic through-hole mounting system. They were also ripped half out of their slots. Still, no damage in the slots.
It was not the seller's fault, good packaging materials were used. But those shippers...
has all kinds of stuff
Big thanks to "Full" on Amibay! Been looking for these for a while. 😀
STB Lightspeed 128
TechWorks Power3D
A-Trend Helios 3D Banshee
RealVision Flash 3D II
Skywell Magic3D (box/extras only)
Jccwu wrote on 2026-10-04, 12:18:pan069 wrote on 2026-10-03, 20:15:Jccwu wrote on 2026-10-03, 16:37:I’ve been selling them for several years now.
Do you have brackets for Sound Blaster 1.0 / 1.5 and/or Snark Barker by any chance? Is it OK for me to contact you directly?
Have one, but it's unlikely i'll be able to send it you from Russia
😢
oldGPU wrote on 2026-10-06, 04:28:Big thanks to "Full" on Amibay! Been looking for these for a while. :) […]
Big thanks to "Full" on Amibay! Been looking for these for a while. 😀
STB Lightspeed 128
TechWorks Power3D
A-Trend Helios 3D Banshee
RealVision Flash 3D II
Skywell Magic3D (box/extras only)
You can regrow kidneys, I say! 🤣
Nice, in box and looking well preserved... congrats!
PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K
- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.
I picked up this Gigabyte MF3 board, it has nforce 3 chipset with socket AM2 which is an odd combination since nf3 was originally meant for socket 754/939 cpus.
I didn’t know nforce3 was on AM2.
Karbist wrote on 2026-10-06, 13:40:I picked up this Gigabyte MF3 board, it has nforce 3 chipset with socket AM2 which is an odd combination since nf3 was originally meant for socket 754/939 cpus.
The legendary 939 dual SATA2 (With ULI chipset)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/ULI/939Dual-SATA2/
Supported 939, AM2, PCI, PCIe and AGP, on the same MB.
Less than that doesn't look that surprising... 😀
I bought some 30 pin ram. a set of 1MB stick for my 486

and 2 x 4MB sticks for my AWE 32
