VOGONS

Reply 181 of 270, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-24, 20:57:

I can confirm that Socket 4 Intel Batman motherboard (and most likely all derivatives of this design) will work with PS/2 ISA adapter even without touching AMIBIOS. Which is crucial, since I can't even enter BIOS with dead RTC battery.

Great to hear - I especially had the Socket4's in mind when reading through this thread.

Reply 183 of 270, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this card require -12V (as in negative 12V)?

I'm asking this, because I'm considering a solution like this for my Tandy 1000 EX, since it doesn't have any serial ports. But I'd also like to use a PicoPSU to power that system, and the PicoPSU does not provide a -12V rail, as far as I've understood.

Thanks. 🙂

Reply 184 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys!
I 'm sorry for the long answers. I don't visit the forum often enough.
If you have not got an answer or are waiting too long, you can always ask a question by e-mail (address in signature).

digger wrote on 2021-05-09, 12:44:

Does this card require -12V (as in negative 12V)?

The card only uses + 5V, no other voltages.

gbeirn wrote on 2020-09-25, 22:57:

@Rio444 do you assemble these by hand? Meaning you have a soldering iron and do each smt part? Or do you have a machine to do it?

Yes, I solder by hand. I solder each SMD detail with a soldering iron. There are faster ways to assemble. But it seems to me that the volume of production is not so big enough that they to be used.

digger wrote on 2020-11-26, 19:22:

So how feasible would it be to develop an ISA card that would be software-compatible with the Microsoft InPort mouse card, but would be hardware-compatible with PS/2 mice? Wouldn't that be better than emulating an 8250 UART chip, including the buffering, due to it being serial interface? Also, would there still be a way to support the mouse wheel that way?

In reality, the interface of a Bus Mouse card is much simpler than RS232. It has a serious drawback - almost no documentation. However, I was able to collect information that is likely to be sufficient. So far, I gave up on this idea due to time constraints and because I was having difficulty getting drivers for some OS. I'm sure drivers can be found for most OS, but RS232 compatibility is still be better.
As for the InPort interface, although the adapter uses the same Bus Mouse, it is much more complicated and confusing than interface of a Bus Mouse adapter.

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 185 of 270, by Belly1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rio444 wrote on 2019-12-19, 14:31:
Yes, the card is fully assembled. The price when paying using Paypal is $ 25 (if you pay as a family/friend, i.e. without a tran […]
Show full quote

Yes, the card is fully assembled.
The price when paying using Paypal is $ 25 (if you pay as a family/friend, i.e. without a transfer fee). Additionally, for shipping, $ 7 for one card and $ 9 for 2 or more.
Delivery time varies greatly by country. It seems the longest delivery time to Canada - about 1.5 months. To Germany and UK it is approximately 2 weeks. Shipping to the USA usualy takes a little more than 2 weeks.
If you name the country and I sent there, I will tell you how long the delivery took.

Here is the adapter Guide download/file.php?id=70920
I believe it will help you answer some of the questions.
Also see here Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter
You can contact me by email Email.1569054222.png

Greetings, I am new here 😀

I would be interested in purchasing a couple of these adapters but being new as a registered member I'll email you using my username as a reference. Kind Regards, -- Tom 😀

Reply 186 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Belly1986 wrote on 2021-05-23, 07:08:

Greetings, I am new here 😀

I would be interested in purchasing a couple of these adapters but being new as a registered member I'll email you using my username as a reference. Kind Regards, -- Tom 😀

Wrote in PM.
Please check if the email is correct. I have not received any emails.

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 187 of 270, by Belly1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rio444 wrote on 2021-05-29, 10:14:

Wrote in PM.
Please check if the email is correct. I have not received any emails.

I've double checked & I've re-sent it. Might be landing in a junk email folder, that's a possibility. -- Tom.

Reply 188 of 270, by u4ria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Happy to say i received the two cards i ordered and both working with no issues or problems under Dos 6.22, Windows 3.1, 95, 98SE and FreeDos straight out of the box.
Arrived well packaged and shipping took just over 2 weeks.
Thanks again Rio!

Reply 189 of 270, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works great.
Be aware, for Windows 3.1 you need to use the "Microsoft or IBM PS/2" mouse driver - the Logitech one caused a hang on Windows startup.
You can still use LMOUSE.COM DOS driver together with "Microsoft or IBM PS/2" Windows driver if you want the comforting blue screen.

Reply 190 of 270, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-08-24, 23:54:

Be aware, for Windows 3.1 you need to use the "Microsoft or IBM PS/2" mouse driver - the Logitech one caused a hang on Windows startup.

Pretty sure that this is mentioned in the manual/guide.

Edit: Yes, it indeed is.

guide.png
Filename
guide.png
File size
121.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

@Rio

I was wondering, should I update the guide with the new images and explanations for the newly added COM3/4 possibilities and jumper settings?

Reply 191 of 270, by blackjudas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Curious if this card works in all class machines? I have a KVM setup with all of the different processor releases from 8088 to Pentium 3. In reading through this thread. I see a lot of "it works on my 486" and no confirmation if there are any issues with using this on a KVM or on any other systems like 286 etc.

Reply 192 of 270, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use one of these cards with my four-port, powered Belkin Omniview SE KVM. Apart from some occasional screwiness from switching between machines (which happens with other systems hooked into native PS/2 ports as well, so it's likely just a KVM issue), it seems to run pretty well with it.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some KVMs might be legit troublesome, but it works reasonably well with mine.

I've tried it with 386s, 486s and Pentiums without PS/2 ports, and it works nicely in all of them.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 193 of 270, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rio444 wrote on 2021-05-14, 21:04:

In reality, the interface of a Bus Mouse card is much simpler than RS232. It has a serious drawback - almost no documentation. However, I was able to collect information that is likely to be sufficient. So far, I gave up on this idea due to time constraints and because I was having difficulty getting drivers for some OS. I'm sure drivers can be found for most OS, but RS232 compatibility is still be better.
As for the InPort interface, although the adapter uses the same Bus Mouse, it is much more complicated and confusing than interface of a Bus Mouse adapter.

What's interesting about the InPort interface is that it apparently supports a mode in which no hardware IRQ is required. My guess is that in that mode the mouse driver uses a polling interface that piggybacks on the timer interrupt instead. This could be useful for systems that have no free IRQs available, for whatever reason. For instance pre-286 PC/XT systems that have a sound card and already use the parallel port and both serial ports for other things than mice.

Reply 194 of 270, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm couldn't find out anything about the square 44pin IC on my busmouse board, other than that this place claims to have 968 of them in stock... https://www.bomeasy.com/pro/te-connectivity-l … 25-01nb/2975954

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 195 of 270, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received the card yesterday. Thanks for that!

At first I had it configured at COM2 but got a strange problem in Windows 3.11 that the mouse froze after some time. The LED stayed green when that happened even without moving the mouse. Restarting Windows would solve the problem until it happened again. Tried some other mouse types/drivers but that didn't solve the problem. Also looked at IRQ conflicts etc but there were none. I didn't get that problem in DOS during some short testing btw.

Today I changed it to COM1 (after changing the one on the controller card to COM2) and it seems stable now. Need to do some more testing with a KVM and another mouse for the final setup. The mouse I use at the moment is the Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.1A PS/2 model.

Anyone knows what could be wrong with running it at COM2? Could it be some buffering issue?

Reply 196 of 270, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have anything on same irq ?
Could be shared IRQ.

Do you run cutemouse ? I had issues with windows 3.x and latest cutemouse going back to version 1.9 solved my 3.x Problems.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 197 of 270, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2021-09-25, 20:53:

Do you have anything on same irq ?
Could be shared IRQ.

Do you run cutemouse ? I had issues with windows 3.x and latest cutemouse going back to version 1.9 solved my 3.x Problems.

I checked and double checked because that was my first thought as well. But no IRQ was/is shared. I run CuteMouse 2.0/2.1 and Microsoft Mouse 8.20 DOS drivers.

I can't reproduce the problem anymore since running on COM1. I checked it today with another mouse and a KVM switch as well. It's working perfectly now.

So problem solved for now but would like to know what could be causing this. Especially because the card was showing a constant green light which is indicating it's receiving data even when the mouse was not moving.

Reply 199 of 270, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blackjudas wrote on 2021-08-30, 22:30:

Curious if this card works in all class machines? I have a KVM setup with all of the different processor releases from 8088 to Pentium 3. In reading through this thread. I see a lot of "it works on my 486" and no confirmation if there are any issues with using this on a KVM or on any other systems like 286 etc.

I use this adapter through a KVM and haven't had issues with tracking resolution or lag, even at 1280x1024. Tested in DOS, NT3.5, and Win95. I have tried a half-dozen other protocol adapters and they all had issues with either lag or drivers when put through my particular KVM, but Rio's unit had no issue.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.