l33t++

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/124850- … cod10src-based/
Re: Doom 'MBF' for DOS, Maintenance release 2.04

Changelog
Spoiler

COD10

• allegro.h replaced with the one built from MBF 2.0.4 souce package

COD10FIX

• engine now picks up assets wad (normally COD.WAD) from engine EXE directory, then from current directory if it was unavailable
• engine now picks up levels wad (CODLEV.WAD) from engine EXE directory
• non-printable chars are now properly filtered out from savegames names and other text input fields in the menu
• starting the game from the first new level in pwad works differently now for Doom 1:
- episode selection menu is shown always for Doom 1
- there's a menu item on episode selection screen called Load Wad selecting which starts the game at first changed level
- in case vanilla Doom 1 is loaded (i.e. no new levels in pwads) this item takes player to e1m1
- for Doom 2 (aka commercial) there's no episode selection screen (i.e. same behavior as before)

COD10MBF

• platform specific system startup routines replaced with those from MBF 2.0.4
below are details of what has been changed as a result
• graphical startup gone as a result although option for that remains in the menu
• tick to real time scale adjustment is still supported, but is not dynamic and required engine restart to be picked up
• video optimized assembly code replaced with that from MBF 2.0.4
• platform specific video mode and blitting code replaced with that from MBF 2.0.4
• VESA relared functions from MBF 2.0.4 have been incorporated
• video mode selection is gone, replaced with 3 options for controlling rendering and menus updated for that
- hi resolution mode
- page flipping enabled
- vertical trace is used
• benchmark option removed from menu as baselines for videomodes are gone with the modes (it did not seem to work anyway)
• incidentally platform specific keyboard and joystick code also replaced with one from MBF 2.0.4
• audio-device specific platform code and MUS to MIDI converter code replaced with those from MBF 2.0.4
• platform specific audio code interfacing Allegro lib replaced with that from MBF 2.0.4
• because of how sound setup works there, it is now longer possible to choose MIDI and digi card from the menu and control voice detection; instead setup.exe from MBF 2.0.4 package should be used, which creates setup.cfg that Allegro uses
• sound effects pre-caching at startup is no longer optional and happens always, so option to control it is gone from the menu
• connectivity related code has also been incorporated, however I have not really tested anything multiplayer
in addition to this

• "modern" MBF-style video mode and FPS counter overlay added (can't say I trust it very much though)
• in cases when engine believes that assets wad is called the same way as IWAD it detects (e.g. both called DOOM2.WAD) it will now be loaded only once
• restored graphical startup
• removed option to show disk in the menu as it's not something supported after MBF video code moved in
• engine will now persist smooth mouse turning option
• experimental changes to horizontal turning with mouse
Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-01-06, 13:29. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 6, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, @DosFreak

Just a heads up this port has been given a name to distinguish it from COD proper by Joel Murdoch, and underline the fact that it treats itself as a generic purpose source port. The name is Tartar and description is now available in documents bundled with source code: https://gitlab.com/ludicrous_peridot/cod10mbf … aster/README.md

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 2 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see MBF 2.0.4 mentioned a lot in the changelog. Is the new port completely MBF-compatible / based-on, or does it incorporate a subset of the features?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 6, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The port only incorporates platform specific code from MBF and then specifically from Gerwin's MBF 2.0.4. It is an Eternity Engine 3.29 fork.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 4 of 6, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pardon the bump, but could this thread be renamed please. COD is a thing, and I dont want to cause any confusion with the Doom source port for DOS named Tartar which builds on COD legacy that this thread describes.

Edit: Thanks for the update.

Reply 5 of 6, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is voxel support a possibility in the Tartar port? It seems to work on a related and early version of Eternity in DOS, but it requires a mid-level Pentium or better (tested with attached code that is unsupported/not finished). The FPS drops during gameplay. Thank you for making the Tartar port available.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 6, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I was never aware that this was part of Eternity offering. I don't plan to add voxel support any time soon, and have not idea - frankly speaking - of the formats used for "voxel sprites", although I've seen demos of Voxel Doom and Doom II for GeeZee and an unrelated DelphiDoom-based attempt. I imagine this could be possible though, as we had a share of voxel-based games in late 1990-s, including those running in DOS...

Is there any forum link or similar that accompanies the diff you've attached? This seems to be an effort to backport voxel support from Woof to a EE version?