VOGONS

First post, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I am trying to get a couple of DOS games (Body Blows, Jungle Strike, Desert Strike) running on my PC(in signature). These are few of the most stubborn games I encountered. Would always fail to run with a runtime error or divide by zero error. While I do agree this PC is too fast for these games, these wouldn't run on a Pcem setup as well (133/200 Mhz). I was able to get Body Blows running on my PC using Throttle but it was extremely slow. I remember able to play these games (albeit shareware) without a hitch on an old system I had long ago (P200 MMx, 32 MB RAM, Socket 7). Sadly it is no longer with me. Appreciate if anyone could share your experience in running these games on your retro builds and the config used. Thank you!!

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 1 of 4, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're on the right track, but Throttle does slow things down to a crawl if run without the "-C" parameter (telling it to NOT disable L1 cache, which is the case by default).

Anyway, there is now a new utility including both the chipset throttling and CPU's own ODCM (which is another 12.5% increment throttling feature in addition to the previous one) control functionality:

CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win9X Retro Gaming

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 2 of 4, by luk1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like an issue with old Turbo Pascal app. Have you tried to patch these games?
Fix "Error 200" (Divide by zero) - by Snover and Stiletto (updated!)

Pentium 4 2.4C, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, 1 GB RAM, GF FX5700 128 MB AGP, SB Audigy, Chieftec GPS-400AA-101A, Win XP SP2
Celeron 400, Compaq Garry, 128 MB RAM, Voodoo Banshee, ALS100 Plus+, Compaq 200 W, Win 98SE

Reply 3 of 4, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I tried to patch Desert Strike and Jungle Strike using the TPPATCH.EXE, but in vain. It would throw an error (in German) that the file is not using Pascal 7.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP