VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I though I would try out an Athlon XP-M cpu I have had lying around for a while. The main interest in how slow it can go using setmul.

However, when I try and use setmul to change the multiplier, the system locks up. Setmul detects it as a K7 at the correct current mult/freq.

Is it supposed to work?

Reply 1 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard/chipset/bios version ??

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 12, by luk1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What motherboard do you use? Have you tried another apps to set multiplier (eg wcpuid)?

Pentium 4 2.4C, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, 2 GB RAM, GF FX5700 128 MB AGP, SB Audigy, Chieftec GPS-400AA-101A, Win XP SP2
Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT2 Combo, 512 MB RAM, GF FX5600 128 MB AGP, FM801, FSP 400-60PFN, Win 98SE

Reply 4 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to a page on fab51, which I can only get at with googles cache at the moment, (horrendous url alert) ...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search? … n&ct=clnk&gl=ca
That board has been confirmed to work but boots at maximum mobile multiplier. A genuine mobile chip has it's max multi pegged at it's rated speed and it locked from going higher, whereas a mobile modded desktop chip may have it floating at 24x so this board might have problems booting one unless it had it's mobile multi capped.

So the question is, were you trying to set a higher multi? (unpossible) or a lower one? (shoulda oughta worked)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I don't know if I've seen ppl set them lower than 5 or 6, but not sure if that's a hard limit on the CPU or just because motherboards/chipsets never expected to see any athlon or duron slower than 550 or 600 Mhz.

Reply 7 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mobo is revision 2, the bios is W6378MS V1.8 121801. There are not rev2 bios updates on the MSI website, just pbi 3.1.

I tried going to 5x, same problem. This is where it locks up (image). I will try wcpuid. Are there other tools besides?

Attachments

• DSC_0340.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0340.JPG
    File size
    1.91 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's another oldie that might work on windows, https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gcpuid.html

Reply 11 of 12, by luk1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BIOS probably doesn't support Mobile Athlons.
If you have another motherboard (preferably something with VIA KT400/600 or SiS 746/748, ASRock is a good choice for playing with mobile CPUs) then you can test your XP-M on it.

Pentium 4 2.4C, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, 2 GB RAM, GF FX5700 128 MB AGP, SB Audigy, Chieftec GPS-400AA-101A, Win XP SP2
Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT2 Combo, 512 MB RAM, GF FX5600 128 MB AGP, FM801, FSP 400-60PFN, Win 98SE