VOGONS

First post, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum for this post...
As some here might have noticed, I started a new YouTube channel a few weeks ago focusing on the HP DOS Palmtops from the early 90's.

I've just completed an in-depth video on how to connect a SCSI bus to an HP 200LX palmtop, with several SCSI peripherals connected to it.
The first half of the video provides an in-depth view at SCSI, it's history and uses, which you might want to skip to 17:45 if you already know how SCSI works.
The second half of the video demonstrates the setup in action.
This is part 1, and I will be releasing a 2nd part in a few weeks where I will be adding several additional SCSI devices to the bus.

Here's a link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaFWoF5bMcY

I'm quite new at making youtube videos, and i've got a lot to learn, aswell as get more comfortable narrating the videos,
as I'm a bit on the autistic/AHDH spectrum and I can get nervous at times, especially when talking to audiences...

I'd love to hear your comments, feedback, tips etc... about the video so I can make my upcoming videos better. 😀

Thanks for your time,
Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 1 of 40, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could go for an rascsi and set it up to emulate a hdd, cdrom, nic and scanner/framegrabber using the rpi camera. though maybe that's a bit overkill 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 40, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great video, radiance32! The introduction to SCSI is very informative and useful.
I did not know it was possible to load drivers in config.sys after the autoexec. It was really a revelation for me.
Could you also upload the drivers for the Quatech card? I was looking for them, but could never find.
Thank you for the video, and please keep making them.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 3 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-11-23, 21:31:
Great video, radiance32! The introduction to SCSI is very informative and useful. I did not know it was possible to load driver […]
Show full quote

Great video, radiance32! The introduction to SCSI is very informative and useful.
I did not know it was possible to load drivers in config.sys after the autoexec. It was really a revelation for me.
Could you also upload the drivers for the Quatech card? I was looking for them, but could never find.

Here you go, I've attached a copy of devload.exe (can't rememer where I found it online),
and the quatech enabler that I found somwhere on a japanese site using the chrome translation option...

Do you own a quatech SPP100 too ?

Cheers,
Radiance

Attachments

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 4 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-23, 21:18:

You could go for an rascsi and set it up to emulate a hdd, cdrom, nic and scanner/framegrabber using the rpi camera. though maybe that's a bit overkill 😁

Hi,

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the rascsi, seems like you can do anything with PIs nowadays, soon you'll be able to do your dishes with them 😀
I wanted to use original SCSI peripherals, to make the video as contemporary with the 200LX as possible,
I even wanted to use a real old internal hard drive instead of the SCSI2SD, but was'nt able to locate a suitable one in my garage,
and to buy and ship one from the US (I looked everywhere in NZ) was too expensive (and it might break during shipping due to it's age)

Cheers,
Terrence

Reply 5 of 40, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yep, finding old hardware can be frustrating, either on price, availability, location(shipping costs), or state.
though i find it odd that some people can still find NOS items. like someone found an old warehouse in good shape that was still maintained and still has all the goodies inside. oh well. junkyard & recycle centers can often be good places to search, yet very time consuming to look through all the stuff.

hate to burst it to ya but an rpi controlled dishwasher seems to already exist. 😁

There's only one thing I would like the rascsi to have extra and that's support for fast-scsi synchronous transfers.
Would be even magnificent if it could do Ultra speeds or higher but I think that would be pushing it too much.

Greets !

ps. praise yourself for not finding the old scsi drives and having to suffer the loudness of those devices.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 6 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-24, 06:07:
yep, finding old hardware can be frustrating, either on price, availability, location(shipping costs), or state. though i find i […]
Show full quote

yep, finding old hardware can be frustrating, either on price, availability, location(shipping costs), or state.
though i find it odd that some people can still find NOS items. like someone found an old warehouse in good shape that was still maintained and still has all the goodies inside. oh well. junkyard & recycle centers can often be good places to search, yet very time consuming to look through all the stuff.

hate to burst it to ya but an rpi controlled dishwasher seems to already exist. 😁

There's only one thing I would like the rascsi to have extra and that's support for fast-scsi synchronous transfers.
Would be even magnificent if it could do Ultra speeds or higher but I think that would be pushing it too much.

Greets !

ps. praise yourself for not finding the old scsi drives and having to suffer the loudness of those devices.

You would'nt happen to know if the raspberry PI SCSI emulator can emulate a SCSI ethernet interface ? (and if there are DOS packet drivers for it)
It might sound strange, a SCSI ethernet adapter, but they did exist,
I've found two different brands of old SCSI-2 ethernet adapters, but both are for Apple Macs only and only have drivers for old versions of MacOS (classic).

If I could add an ethernet interface via SCSI, even if it's just 10 Mbits,
I can have ethernet connectivity without having to take out the PCMCIA parallel port card and the whole SCSI bus in order to insert a PCMCIA ethernet card into the palmtop...

Thanks,
Terrence

Reply 7 of 40, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-23, 22:57:
Here you go, I've attached a copy of devload.exe (can't rememer where I found it online), and the quatech enabler that I found s […]
Show full quote
Bondi wrote on 2021-11-23, 21:31:
Great video, radiance32! The introduction to SCSI is very informative and useful. I did not know it was possible to load driver […]
Show full quote

Here you go, I've attached a copy of devload.exe (can't rememer where I found it online),
and the quatech enabler that I found somwhere on a japanese site using the chrome translation option...

Do you own a quatech SPP100 too ?

Cheers,
Radiance

Thanks a lot for the files.
No, I don't have the Quatech card. But hoping to find one or the Trans Digital card.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 8 of 40, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-24, 06:28:

You would'nt happen to know if the raspberry PI SCSI emulator can emulate a SCSI ethernet interface ? (and if there are DOS packet drivers for it)

I've already mentioned it when I listed 'nic'. it's short for network interface card. so yes, the rascsi can emulate ethernet.
Drivers on the other hand. I don't know.
On the webpages for the rascsi in japan they've listed them as available for a pc98 system. I have no idea how compatible that is with a normal pc.

Greets !

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-24, 17:54:
I've already mentioned it when I listed 'nic'. it's short for network interface card. so yes, the rascsi can emulate ethernet. D […]
Show full quote
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-24, 06:28:

I've already mentioned it when I listed 'nic'. it's short for network interface card. so yes, the rascsi can emulate ethernet.
Drivers on the other hand. I don't know.
On the webpages for the rascsi in japan they've listed them as available for a pc98 system. I have no idea how compatible that is with a normal pc.

Greets !

Oops, I did'nt notice you typed NIC in that sentence 😀
I'll have to check out the rascsi site then...

Thanks 😀
Terrence

Reply 11 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2021-11-24, 18:47:

Just curious, none of the pcmcia SCSI adapter works in HP 200LX?

Edit: Oops I misread your post, and provided an aswer about network cards, thought you meant a network card. There are no PCMCIA SCSI adapters that work in the 200LX that i know of, you need a 200lx specific enabler/driver for it, that's the big issue.... The 100/200lx pcmcia slot is'nt %100 compatible with the general PCMCIA standards...

---------------------------------------------

There are 3 that work for the 200LX,
but, if you insert it into the single PCMCIA slot of the 200lx,
you have to remove the parallel card, so no SCSI or adlib sound... 🙁
Or, if you have all your software on a PCMCIA CF storage card,
by removing it and inserting a network card, you don't have access to all your software (locally anyway).

If I could add a SCSI network card, I can retain the whole setup as shown in the video, and have all my SCSI devices and my adlib sound, together with network access 😀

Terrence

Last edited by radiance32 on 2021-11-25, 03:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 40, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh FYI, there's also SCSI floppy disk adapters, ie use a standard, or two, pc floppy drives on a scsi bus,
and the Iomega Floptical is also available with a SCSI connection. and so many others... 😀

oh and I often think as the pcmcia bus as a bridged limited ISA bus, so I kinda wonder if it would be possible to add sort of an ISA expansion board to the pcmcia slot.
though, If i'm not mistaken you won't be able to use any dma transfers, so any isa card that uses dma is out of the question. and rewriting drivers to pass through the pcmcia card software etc...
oh well just a brainfart.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 13 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-24, 19:16:
Oh FYI, there's also SCSI floppy disk adapters, ie use a standard, or two, pc floppy drives on a scsi bus, and the Iomega Flopt […]
Show full quote

Oh FYI, there's also SCSI floppy disk adapters, ie use a standard, or two, pc floppy drives on a scsi bus,
and the Iomega Floptical is also available with a SCSI connection. and so many others... 😀

oh and I often think as the pcmcia bus as a bridged limited ISA bus, so I kinda wonder if it would be possible to add sort of an ISA expansion board to the pcmcia slot.
though, If i'm not mistaken you won't be able to use any dma transfers, so any isa card that uses dma is out of the question. and rewriting drivers to pass through the pcmcia card software etc...
oh well just a brainfart.

Check this out: https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/wiki/PowerView---SuperView
It allows you to connect a color VGA display to you Mac over the SCSI-2 bus 😀
Unfortunately only drivers for old black&white classic MacOS systems, nothing for DOS/Windows 3.0 🙁
It would be completely awesome to connect a color VGA monitor to a 200LX! 😀
There seems to be a driver for the PC98 68k system somewhere in the rascsi source code GIT.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to develop a windows 3.0 driver for it, and I'm not even sure it would work,
as I don't think windows 3.0 supports multiple displays... It might be possible to develop a driver that just uses the external monitor only though...

Regarding the rascsi's support for ethernet, same issue, only MacOS and PC98 68k drivers available... 🙁

So i guess all of this cool functionality is just a pipedream when it comes to making it work on a 200lx 🙁

Cheers,
Radiance

Reply 14 of 40, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like only a kind hearted crazy programmer is needed that is willing to undertake this project of writing some dos drivers to access a scsi-ethernet device with the only information being the rascsi x68k ethernet drivers.

fyi, i'm no programmer.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 15 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-24, 20:04:

Seems like only a kind hearted crazy programmer is needed that is willing to undertake this project of writing some dos drivers to access a scsi-ethernet device with the only information being the rascsi x68k ethernet drivers.

fyi, i'm no programmer.

I'm a C/C++ 3D graphics developer, but i've got very limited skills with assembly and no skills with DOS and hardware level programming for drivers etc...
It would be hard to find someone to do it though, as the audience for such a niche driver would be so tiny, I don't see anyone willing to spend that much time on it...

I'll just have keep searching for the next best things to show on my channel 😀

Cheers,
Radiance

Reply 17 of 40, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yyzkevin wrote on 2021-11-24, 23:54:

great video. too bad cannot play alone at home without the impossible to find parallel card

Thanks kevin, long time no see 😀
How's things with your custom PCMCIA sound card ?

Cheers,
Radiance

Reply 18 of 40, by yyzkevin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
radiance32 wrote on 2021-11-25, 05:10:
Thanks kevin, long time no see :) How's things with your custom PCMCIA sound card ? […]
Show full quote
yyzkevin wrote on 2021-11-24, 23:54:

great video. too bad cannot play alone at home without the impossible to find parallel card

Thanks kevin, long time no see 😀
How's things with your custom PCMCIA sound card ?

Cheers,
Radiance

I got busy in "real life" and had not had time to work on my hardware projects for many months but just started up again recently.

Did you ever get the capability to dump the CIS for that parallel card?

www.yyzkevin.com

Reply 19 of 40, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great video!
You showed your scsi chain setup finishing with the Iomega Zip drive and doing it in connection order afterwards, I think one time may have been enough.

The spp100 driver can be loaded as a device statement in config.sys directly.
Ethernet adapters for the parallel port exist and are most likely easier to find than the Accurite DoubleSlot device...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics