VOGONS

The World's Fastest 486

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 747, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep I had to use the lowest cache timings with the 15ns cache I have in the C2. I tried 66x3 and was able to beat my previous score just a bit. Serpent was right about Doom preferring the faster bus speed. Really wanted to get Quake running but kept hitting malloc errors when launching, kinda similar to what happens when I try running this cpu at too high a voltage at 180. I bet if I could dial in the voltage between the 3-4v jumper setting I could get Quake running.

I’ve Probly asked before but where are you sourcing 10-12ns chips? Digi-key?

Attachments

Reply 541 of 747, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet this is going to bring a huge "NO!" but what about a Cyrix GXm or National Semiconductor Geode GXm CPU and accompanying motherboard?

They are basically higher clocked versions of the Cyrix 5x86. The newer ones also support MMX.

Use SDRAM, but only run the RAM at 33Mhz.
Bus speeds supported are only 30 and 33Mhz, but the CPU multiplier goes all the way down to 5x (possibly 4x if an interposer was made for a BGA version) and up to 10x.

Onboard video and sound.

Best motherboards came with 2x PCI and 2x ISA.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 542 of 747, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't say "NO!" right away but wouldn't the GXm be considered a true 586 CPU rather than a 486?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 543 of 747, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-24, 17:49:
I bet this is going to bring a huge "NO!" but what about a Cyrix GXm or National Semiconductor Geode GXm CPU and accompanying mo […]
Show full quote

I bet this is going to bring a huge "NO!" but what about a Cyrix GXm or National Semiconductor Geode GXm CPU and accompanying motherboard?

They are basically higher clocked versions of the Cyrix 5x86. The newer ones also support MMX.

Use SDRAM, but only run the RAM at 33Mhz.
Bus speeds supported are only 30 and 33Mhz, but the CPU multiplier goes all the way down to 5x (possibly 4x if an interposer was made for a BGA version) and up to 10x.

Onboard video and sound.

Best motherboards came with 2x PCI and 2x ISA.

One has to wonder why a media GX couldn’t be adapted to a standard 486 motherboard but disable the on chip accessories?

Reply 544 of 747, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably because the interrupts and other lines that they are assumed sole user of aren't brought out to the edge of the chip.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 545 of 747, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2021-11-25, 07:46:

I wouldn't say "NO!" right away but wouldn't the GXm be considered a true 586 CPU rather than a 486?

I can't seem to find any specific info on whether or not the regular Pentium instructions were on any of the GX series. The regular GX and GXi sound like they are just faster 5x86 chips.

I guess an instruction test program will need to be run on them to find out for sure.

I do have a motherboard and a couple of the low voltages (2.5v) 233 GXm CPUs on the way so I can test once th y get here. The CPUs are coming from China so it may take a while. I might already have a GX or GXm chip somewhere though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 546 of 747, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to wiki, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_instruction … ed_with_Pentium , the Pentium added CPUID, CMPXCHG8B, RDMSR, RDTSC, WRMSR, and RSM. These instructions do show up upon reviewing the GXm databook.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 547 of 747, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so maybe only the pre-GXm GX and GXi chips could be considered 486 class.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 548 of 747, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is a Cyrix 5x86 really even 5th gen? It's more like 4.5th gen, so I guess the MediaGX would be too.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 549 of 747, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-27, 08:10:

Ok, so maybe only the pre-GXm GX and GXi chips could be considered 486 class.

Perhaps. I do not have the original Cyrix MediaGX databook to check the instruction set.

But even if the GXm supports Pentium and MMX instructions, does that really count as Pentium class or 5th generation? It isn't superscalar.

Don't the Cyrix 486DLC and SLC CPUs, for example, support the 486 instruction set? Would you consider these 486-class CPUs? I don't. To me, the Cyrix 5x86 and MediaGx are more a 486 than a Pentium.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 550 of 747, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486DLC is most definitely a 486 CPU, regardless of socket. All 486 software run on it.

Reply 552 of 747, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If we're including MediaGX then my Winchip is the fastest 486 😜 .... what? It's single pipe and in order execution, more 486 than pentium.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 554 of 747, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe we should start another thread for post socket-3 486 like CPUs.... Or should we just decimate the socket 3 scores in this thread?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 555 of 747, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The name of the thread is a bit misleading since it says "world's fastest 486" but first post is about a hybrid processor.
So it is about the fastest Socket 3 hardware really.
If a CPU fits Socket 3 without interposer - it should be considered.
Otherwise - probably not.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 556 of 747, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2021-11-28, 21:13:
The name of the thread is a bit misleading since it says "world's fastest 486" but first post is about a hybrid processor. So it […]
Show full quote

The name of the thread is a bit misleading since it says "world's fastest 486" but first post is about a hybrid processor.

I agree, this should be CPU that fits in Socket3 and works like 486, not 586 like Cyrix.
But we can start another battle with any 486 socket, like Winchip or mGX 😀

Reply 557 of 747, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lukas12p wrote on 2021-11-28, 21:46:
The name of the thread is a bit misleading since it says "world's fastest 486" but first post is about a hybrid processor. So it […]
Show full quote

I agree, this should be CPU that fits in Socket3 and works like 486, not 586 like Cyrix.

Cyrix 5x86 is not really a 586 CPU, it is a 486 CPU with some extra functions but not the complete 586 command set. 486 is the only architecture it can be said is 100% compatible with. 6x86 was Cyrix's 586 CPU here. I think the 5x86 easily qualifies as a 486 CPU.

Reply 558 of 747, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn’t it possible to adapt a socket 3 chip to socket 5/7 socket?

appiah4 wrote on 2021-11-29, 05:13:
lukas12p wrote on 2021-11-28, 21:46:
Show full quote

Cyrix 5x86 is not really a 586 CPU, it is a 486 CPU with some extra functions but not the complete 586 command set. 486 is the only architecture it can be said is 100% compatible with. 6x86 was Cyrix's 586 CPU here. I think the 5x86 easily qualifies as a 486 CPU.

I agree, cyrix 586 should count as a 486

Just like cyrix 686 should count at 586.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 559 of 747, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO, I would disregard anything where the supporting chipset is custom designed for the cpu or gives significant advantage (MediaGX, Vortex86SX, any of the socket 5 486class cpus) because it would get difficult to separate if performance is cpu based or due to improved memory/bus latencies.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!