VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 200 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do sold listings for BINs indicate if seller accepted a lower offer?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 202 of 1005, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-01, 14:09:

sometimes - I think if you use the mobile app it does not

Reply 203 of 1005, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-01, 14:09:

Usually yes. Here is waht it looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/165118827168

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 204 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, yes, on desktop/chrome I'm seeing strikethrough of the price and "Best offer accepted " in smaller text below it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 205 of 1005, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guy , can you imagine either WATA games, or a company similar to that, snoop around here. And perhaps will try make it a bubble just like the video game auction bubble. That Karl Jobst is basically showing , how insane things are at the moment ? Cause that is what I see with "popular or rare classic computer hardware" as a future bubble. And probably some of the same players comes into this niche of things. I personally think it is scary. Sorry for shouting wolf, before it is proven. But I have a sneaky suspicion . It could happen too. And what I have remembered in the past, certain things has happened like that around this great hobby. I still remember certain forum threads that touched upon the subject. When it came to our "retro" hobby.

Reply 206 of 1005, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote on 2021-12-01, 21:54:

Guy , can you imagine either WATA games, or a company similar to that, snoop around here. And perhaps will try make it a bubble just like the video game auction bubble. That Karl Jobst is basically showing , how insane things are at the moment ? Cause that is what I see with "popular or rare classic computer hardware" as a future bubble. And probably some of the same players comes into this niche of things. I personally think it is scary. Sorry for shouting wolf, before it is proven. But I have a sneaky suspicion . It could happen too. And what I have remembered in the past, certain things has happened like that around this great hobby. I still remember certain forum threads that touched upon the subject. When it came to our "retro" hobby.

I'd argue some retro computers are allready there. Look at prices for an Amiga. Allready starting to enter Neo Geo range dollars for a fully kitted A1200, and Neo Geo was the Rolls- Royce of retro console gaming.

I don't forsee general DOS gaming/collecting ever getting as bad as consoles currently are. For the most part anyway. You have to remember that unlike consoles, there's a bit of a skill barrier to putting a DOS computer together and then getting all the drivers setup. Retro consoles are just plug n go.

DOS games also debatably arn't in as high demand with how easy it is to get them digitally on gog or *elsewhere*. Plop them on your CF card and your good to go. You don't absolutely need the floppy disks or CD to play on a retro computer. With consoles you need the cartridge or an extra expense for a flashcart.

Reply 207 of 1005, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Claris: I totally agree with you, in some ways it is cheaper to get a Raspberry Pi 4 up and running with Amibian or the upcoming Pimiga 2.0 , and at the moment there is Pimiga 1.5 , but if you want to buy a more expensive piece of machinery, there is FPGA MiST , MiSTer FPGA which is still cheaper that a fully decked out Amiga 1200 with all its bells and whistles/upgrades including the vampire accelerator. So yeah it is crazy/scary.

Reply 208 of 1005, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that games (software) markets in general are more inherently collector-oriented than hardware. Small, easy storage, simple, and with some general characteristics akin to collector cards or coins.

As opposed to hardware which can be big and awkward, and complicated with various levels of working/not-working, and a motivation mostly (or at least, more) desire-based as opposed to hoarding-based.

So it seems to me anyway. I don't buy hardware for prestige or profit. Nor games either. But one only has to look at the ubiquitous, de-rigeur trendy Youtube background "bookshelf full of collected software" to see how expectation is constantly promoted.

Reply 209 of 1005, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-12-01, 22:25:

It seems that games (software) markets in general are more inherently collector-oriented than hardware. Small, easy storage, simple, and with some general characteristics akin to collector cards or coins.

As opposed to hardware which can be big and awkward, and complicated with various levels of working/not-working, and a motivation mostly (or at least, more) desire-based as opposed to hoarding-based.

So it seems to me anyway. I don't buy hardware for prestige or profit. Nor games either. But one only has to look at the ubiquitous, de-rigeur trendy Youtube background "bookshelf full of collected software" to see how expectation is constantly promoted.

I actually have a bit of an issue with retro YouTubers constantly trying to push the whole "you need a shelf of games" motif. But i know some can't help it. Its what they're passionate about.

Reply 210 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As long as you aren't investing in the hobby for profit and spend within your means, a bursting retro computer market bubble should not be an issue. I welcome a crash, however I have doubts that one is coming anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong.

Speaking of consoles, I wish there was this magic CF card one could buy with all DOS/Windows games already setup in a folder, per release year, for use on retro, e.g. 486 or 586, systems. For me, finding the games, finding the updates, and getting them running is quite troublesome; thus the appeal of consoles.

Claris wrote on 2021-12-01, 22:37:

I actually have a bit of an issue with retro YouTubers constantly trying to push the whole "you need a shelf of games" motif. But i know some can't help it. Its what they're passionate about.

I think it's beyond passion and more like an addiction. Imagine the relief potential of letting go.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 211 of 1005, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2021-12-01, 23:35:
As long as you aren't investing in the hobby for profit and spend within your means, a bursting retro computer market bubble sho […]
Show full quote

As long as you aren't investing in the hobby for profit and spend within your means, a bursting retro computer market bubble should not be an issue. I welcome a crash, however I have doubts that one is coming anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong.

Speaking of consoles, I wish there was this magic CF card one could buy with all DOS/Windows games already setup in a folder, per release year, for use on retro, e.g. 486 or 586, systems. For me, finding the games, finding the updates, and getting them running is quite troublesome; thus the appeal of consoles.

Claris wrote on 2021-12-01, 22:37:

I think it's beyond passion and more like an addiction. Imagine the relief potential of letting go.

Its very relieving. I was sorta into the mentality myself when i started collecting games. Ended up selling most of my shelf because i realized i was paying big cash for games i barely touched and just...looked at.

The money spent was not worth the bragging rights. I stick hardware+flashcarts and bigbox pc games now. When i do make a bigbox purchase, its only a game I know for sure iv enjoyed and will play again.

Reply 212 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Claris wrote on 2021-12-02, 00:12:

The money spent was not worth the bragging rights.

I've never understood people wanting to share the fact of their acquisitions like this. Threads like 'Bought these retro hardware today' are only fuelling the addiction, thereby increasing costs further.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 213 of 1005, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ostentatiousness is somewhat socially contagious (Keeping up with the Joneses syndrome), but on the other hand, Show-and- tell is a social aspect which applies equally across most types of hobbies and interests; perhaps not inherently bad in itself. In moderation.

Display bookshelves may go against that principle. But then, isn't that a symptom of (ye olde Andy Warhol quote) society where everyone gets to be their own star on a platform that's all about personal extroversion and projection, and success is literally linked to populism?

Reply 214 of 1005, by MN_Moody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Retro hardware is an absolute luxury item, it's basically free to emulate so I don't understand the heartburn some people have about hardware prices today. As an example, something like a Roland MT-32 cost $695 when it came out in 1987, which would be $1600+ in today's dollars accounting for inflation... I've seen numerous examples sell for less than $200 in the past year which seems like a relative bargain. Legalities aside, you can fully emulate the MT-32 / CM-32L via MUNT in software or even external modern hardware for almost free.

Also keep in mind, higher prices mean more of the items in question do end up available through the resale market, if they weren't worth anything their basic gold content/scrap value would outweigh the trouble of selling them and potentially dealing with the messiness of eBay, Craigslist, etc..

There ARE retro items that tend to go for an absolute premium, but they tend to be "best in class" or obscure / braggy vs functionally desirable. Unless you are actually going for bragging rights/status, retro hardware can be very affordable if you are willing to put in a little work to acquire it.

Reply 215 of 1005, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2021-12-02, 00:24:

I've never understood people wanting to share the fact of their acquisitions like this. Threads like 'Bought these retro hardware today' are only fuelling the addiction, thereby increasing costs further.

You would absolutely hate the subreddit for game collecting then. It is litteraly just people bragging about their expensive hauls or two shelf long collection of NES games. Spills over to the general retro gaming subreddit sometimes too.

Its like: Cool, you put your house up for sale to afford a shelf of Neo Geo AES games so you can look like a rich nerd..... I don't really care? I don't mean to be rude ofc. But theres showing something rare and cool, and then there's showing off for the e-credit.

Reply 216 of 1005, by MN_Moody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it's fun to see what sorts of treasures people come across, particularly when it ends up being a crazy fun dumpster find or "this came out of Grandmas' attic" posts. I haven't been in the retro game as long as some, but with some work and patience it's amazing what you can find even in larger metro areas with lots of competition. I think that thread provides a bit of motivation for people and perhaps some ideas on places to look they hadn't previously considered.

Reply 217 of 1005, by MN_Moody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Claris wrote on 2021-12-02, 02:50:

You would absolutely hate the subreddit for game collecting then. It is litteraly just people bragging about their expensive hauls or two shelf long collection of NES games. Spills over to the general retro gaming subreddit sometimes too.

Its like: Cool, you put your house up for sale to afford a shelf of Neo Geo AES games so you can look like a rich nerd..... I don't really care? I don't mean to be rude ofc. But theres showing something rare and cool, and then there's showing off for the e-credit.

Not everyone has to live on credit or make a this vs that choice to afford their hobby or collection, it's cool when someone shares photos of an acquisition that tickles that nostalgia itch regardless if it's someone with a dedicated game room full of rare import games, or someone who just got super lucky scoring a rare sealed game at a local thrift shop or garage sale after skipping that morning Starbucks run so they had an extra fiver in their pocket.

I appreciate communities of like-minded people who come at this hobby from all different angles/backgrounds, if I felt jealous, angry or judgmental towards others involved in the same I'd honestly question how healthy MY involvement was. Life is too short.

Reply 218 of 1005, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because you consider yourself addicted, and can't really cite any reasons why this hobby is meaningful to you, you attack the things about it others find meaningful.

Plz stop

Reply 219 of 1005, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get the problem of having a shelf of games to go with the hardware. I mean if you have a collection of 50 cassette decks and no cassettes to play wouldn't that be weird?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software