Reply 41420 of 52722, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-12-12, 07:11:
Bought/won a pair of MediaVision LPT sound cards on eBay. […]
Show full quote

Bought/won a pair of MediaVision LPT sound cards on eBay.

Seller's photos:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

The yellowed one needs attention and the other needs a good sticker residue removal. Going to test them on a laptop that has a crappy sound card.

A good buy! I saw this listing, but did not realize it was for two devices.
Audioport has a Yamaha OPL chip and Sound Blaster support, but IIRC SB works only in Windows. Please keep us posted on testing results.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 41421 of 52722, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-12-11, 19:36:

Found this pair of PCI GeForce 4MX 4000 128MB cards, in box, for a dollar each. Dunno what I'm going to do with them, but hey, a dollar each!

PXL_20211211_192838812.jpg

PXL_20211211_192840888.jpg

I be glad to have one in my collection

Reply 41422 of 52722, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2021-12-12, 05:17:
I found an original Sound Blaster at e-waste. It's missing it's chips and the volume dial was broken off but the PCB is still in […]
Show full quote

I found an original Sound Blaster at e-waste. It's missing it's chips and the volume dial was broken off but the PCB is still in great shape.
IMG_20211210_082449.jpg

And I bought a Zalman VGA cooler off ebay. I still don't know which card will get it.
IMG_20211212_001805.jpg

Yeah, it needs a new pot. I'm pretty sure you will find something that will fit. Knob can be 3D printed. OPL2 is not a problem as they are still available NOS. Bracket will be a problem though.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41423 of 52722, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spotted this ebay auction of random cards for $100. Tossed a $45 offer at it and was accepted.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
72.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This wavetable card should prove interesting, curious what romset it uses.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
72.29 KiB
Views
File license

This DTC1181 card is an LBA extender for old PC systems, allowing them to break the CHS 528MB hard drive barrier.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
77.51 KiB
Views
File license

Rest is also neat, couple Toshiba Portege memory upgrades, a memory upgrade for what looks like an AST laptop I have here, a Dell 512K L2 cache module, a cheap ISA SCSI card meant for a zip or tape drive, a CF-IDE adapter, and an ISA serial card.

Reply 41424 of 52722, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this Samsung Syncmaster 3 monitor yesterday. Actually, the seller gave it to me for free, since I bought some other items. I am not particularly searching for this kind of hardware due to the lack of space at home, but I just didn't have the heart to leave it behind, because it would probably be trashed.

Attachments

Reply 41425 of 52722, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turbo -> wrote on 2021-12-12, 21:05:

Got this Samsung Syncmaster 3 monitor yesterday. Actually, the seller gave it to me for free, since I bought some other items. I am not particularly searching for this kind of hardware due to the lack of space at home, but I just didn't have the heart to leave it behind, because it would probably be trashed.

Get a cheap/free broken air conditioner, take the guts out, install monitor and hang it's fat ass out the window, space problem solved. 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 41426 of 52722, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-12, 22:00:
Turbo -> wrote on 2021-12-12, 21:05:

Get a cheap/free broken air conditioner, take the guts out, install monitor and hang it's fat ass out the window, space problem solved. 🤣

We don't have this type of air conditioners in Europe - they are either in-room units with air ducts going out the window or split units, the kind you are thinking about has to be an american thing 😀

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41427 of 52722, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Whelmy wrote on 2019-01-28, 12:59:
Sellers photos as waiting for delivery. […]
Show full quote

Sellers photos as waiting for delivery.

xt3JF0M.jpg

mJcS0kN.jpg

OL7vgYq.jpg

3e3Genl.jpg

Bought a Unisys Aquanta SC and a 166mhz pentium to max it out? already has 64mb of ram which is the max I believe, only other thing that I could upgraded on it is the cache as the motherboard will accept at least 1mb. (chipset supports up to 2mb)

Then I just need to see what I can put in the isa/pci slot.

I have the winchip 2 installed in mine. Gives it MMX and 3dnow!

Reply 41428 of 52722, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh, I thought window A/Cs would have got to southern and continental parts where it got hot. I believe there are through the wall units for fixed installation that are kind of similar, but probably hard to find and too much adaption required. So, guess you gotta hit the junk shops for old baby cages, out the window greenhouses or clothes airers that you can box in 🤣 ... but I guess the advantage of window A/C where it is commonly used is camouflage. Old houses though, maybe have chimney breasts you can knock recesses into to regain space, or take the whole thing out if not required. Flip top sewing machine tables maybe, have it in the living room with a lacy cloth and a plant on for WAF, until it's play time, then flip it out to the strapped on CRT 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 41429 of 52722, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-12, 22:44:

Huh, I thought window A/Cs would have got to southern and continental parts where it got hot. I believe there are through the wall units for fixed installation that are kind of similar, but probably hard to find and too much adaption required. So, guess you gotta hit the junk shops for old baby cages, out the window greenhouses or clothes airers that you can box in 🤣 ... but I guess the advantage of window A/C where it is commonly used is camouflage. Old houses though, maybe have chimney breasts you can knock recesses into to regain space, or take the whole thing out if not required. Flip top sewing machine tables maybe, have it in the living room with a lacy cloth and a plant on for WAF, until it's play time, then flip it out to the strapped on CRT 🤣

I've been in several hot European countries including Greece, Southern Spain, Italy, southern France and I never spotted a single window-style A/C (not only in apartments were I slept but in general) so even if they are used here - they are rather rare. In fact I don't think I knew they existed until I've seen one particular scene in Season 3 of Fargo 🤣.

Edit: OK, I got interested and quickly googled "window ac in europe" which returned this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/refrigeration/commen … nits_in_europe/
"Portuguese HVAC engineer here. Windows AC are banned in Europe due to energy efficiency regulation. "
So as I suspected it must be sort of 'legacy/obsolete' thing which you still use in the US (perhaps maybe in use in Asia too). Personally even when weather is getting hotter in recent years (even in Poland it gets well over 35*C in the Summer) I don't believe in using AC where it's not absolutely necessary (ie. server rooms or morgues ;d ) - especially in the private apartments where you can easly lower temperature using different ways (window shutters, thermo-insulations, not opening windows on the side where building is getting hot and so on).

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41430 of 52722, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2021-12-13, 00:34:
I've been in several hot European countries including Greece, Southern Spain, Italy, southern France and I never spotted a singl […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-12, 22:44:

I've been in several hot European countries including Greece, Southern Spain, Italy, southern France and I never spotted a single window-style A/C (not only in apartments were I slept but in general) so even if they are used here - they are rather rare. In fact I don't think I knew they existed until I've seen one particular scene in Season 3 of Fargo 🤣.

Edit: OK, I got interested and quickly googled "window ac in europe" which returned this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/refrigeration/commen … nits_in_europe/
"Portuguese HVAC engineer here. Windows AC are banned in Europe due to energy efficiency regulation. "
So as I suspected it must be sort of 'legacy/obsolete' thing which you still use in the US (perhaps maybe in use in Asia too). Personally even when weather is getting hotter in recent years (even in Poland it gets well over 35*C in the Summer) I don't believe in using AC where it's not absolutely necessary (ie. server rooms or morgues ;d ) - especially in the private apartments where you can easly lower temperature using different ways (window shutters, thermo-insulations, not opening windows on the side where building is getting hot and so on).

We have the window AC units here in Australia, also the Split ducted types and on roof swamp coolers .. and pretty much any other type of AC you could think of 🤣, but the first three listed are most common.

Split system Reverse Cycle is taking over however as Australia of late is becoming more tropical wet hot than dry hot and swamp coolers dont work so good in humidity, this summer is looking to be very wet as La Nina is playing havoc with the weather again.

Also got a new tech toy delivered today, will make a new post about it a bit later .. but it has SLI Voodoo2 in it and a Odd Talatin board that supports 1.5gb of VCM SDRAM (never heard of VCM ram before)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6VTXE-rev-10/sp#sp this is the board.

Reply 41432 of 52722, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-12-13, 03:44:

I've never seen a blue CPU socket before, that's something else.

IIRC it signifies that it supports Tualatin CPUs, lets you tell at a glance, never seen anyone besides Gigabyte use it tho.

Reply 41433 of 52722, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-13, 04:04:

IIRC it signifies that it supports Tualatin CPUs, lets you tell at a glance, never seen anyone besides Gigabyte use it tho.

^ Introduced at Computex in 2001 with the cringeworthy "Blue Thunder" moniker - even used on their dual socket server boards

https://ascii-jp.translate.goog/elem/000/000/ … &_x_tr_hl=en-GB

Reply 41434 of 52722, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-12-13, 05:18:
[…]
Show full quote

^ Introduced at Computex in 2001 with the cringeworthy "Blue Thunder" moniker - even used on their dual socket server boards

That’s a big “OOF” wonder what their marketing monkeys were on that day.

Reply 41435 of 52722, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Poor choice of name, everyone knew Airwolf was better than Blue Thunder. 😉

Reply 41436 of 52722, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soyo had it too, on the SY-7VBA133U.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 41437 of 52722, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-12-13, 05:18:

That's a second time in a few days when I feel like I was tunneled into parallel dimension (where blue PIII sockets are a thing). Previously I noticed that people are using some funny quote which as it turned out is from a well know (in Poland), few years old movie and which quote is supposedly widely known, used and everybody knows about it. Problem is I never ever heard/seen this quote being used, and recently it was used by several people in various contexts (no connection between them whatsoever).

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41438 of 52722, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a good catch, for a hand full of dollars EUROs:

IMG_20211213_105935.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211213_105935.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license

Had some battery acid damage but is still working.
Including FPU, 128k cache and 8 Megs of RAM.
My first 386 board.

Does anybody know a CPU interposer with ZIF socket that can fit into the PGA socket? Like these but for a reasonable price?
https://www.arieselec.com/product/10004-pga-z … burn-in-socket/

Would be great for testing my CPU collection without having to press them in this PGA socket and risking pin damage.

Reply 41439 of 52722, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2021-12-13, 10:44:
Looks like a good catch, for a hand full of dollars EUROs: IMG_20211213_105935.jpg […]
Show full quote

Looks like a good catch, for a hand full of dollars EUROs:
IMG_20211213_105935.jpg

Had some battery acid damage but is still working.
Including FPU, 128k cache and 8 Megs of RAM.
My first 386 board.

Does anybody know a CPU interposer with ZIF socket that can fit into the PGA socket? Like these but for a reasonable price?
https://www.arieselec.com/product/10004-pga-z … burn-in-socket/

Would be great for testing my CPU collection without having to press them in this PGA socket and risking pin damage.

And pretty pimped too, congrats!

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K