Topic actions

Reply 3661 of 5853, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-12-23, 18:26:
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-12-23, 18:13:

I just noticed something I'm suspicious about from another conversation on here and I'm curious If I can tell if you are anything younger than Gen. X by how you answer this question. No cheating.

What do you call the sounds a modem makes when connecting to another modem?

Cacophony. 🤣. I'm not actually sure what answer you're looking for, but it's the audible representation of a handshake (hello).

Handshake is the correct answer, I had seen some other non-joking ways to describe it, which struck me as someone who didn't live through the introduction of modems and therefore didn't learn the terminology. I was all about the tech at the time of BBSs and I think anyone that used BBSs would know the correct term and be a certain age. That is my theory anyways.

Though I would also accept Link Negotiation.

Reply 3662 of 5853, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-12-23, 18:13:

I just noticed something I'm suspicious about from another conversation on here and I'm curious If I can tell if you are anything younger than Gen. X by how you answer this question. No cheating.

What do you call the sounds a modem makes when connecting to another modem?

Music.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3664 of 5853, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-23, 21:10:

I just realized the game is called the Pandora Directive. 😀

Lolz I've been reading that as Detective this whole time too!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3665 of 5853, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait what? My whole life I thought the game was called Pandora Detective 🤣!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3668 of 5853, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2021-12-18, 17:54:
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-16, 20:12:

Pandora Detective

😀

I was wondering if you'd get my hint. 😉

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if CGW used that pun in its review of the game. They did stuff like that a lot.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3669 of 5853, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva

After completing a major part of the plot yesterday, my score is now about 700/1000. The next part involves finding a sunken ship in Riva Harbour, looking for a magical item crucial to the plot quest that was lost when the ship went down. Here is an example of how well-written this game is (despite being translated from German!):

riva-4a.jpg
Filename
riva-4a.jpg
File size
564.53 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

IMO, it says a lot, and says it well, in very few words. It gets my imagination working and excites me for what's next. Well done, writers and translators.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3670 of 5853, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2021-12-24, 08:25:
badmojo wrote on 2021-12-24, 02:57:

Lolz I've been reading that as Detective this whole time too!

First adventure game using Detect 3D

Reply 3671 of 5853, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-12-24, 08:25:

It is probably one of those Mandela effect things... 😉

Oh and sorry to say this game comes on 6 cds and it is making me crazy. It was fun and retro to change cds once every minute in the beginning but this is getting silly. At least the devs put the fast travel function in there..

Reply 3672 of 5853, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With every CD mounted in DOSBox you can tell the game to use a different letter for each CD -> No disc swapping.
Same with Under A Killing Moon.

If you use a real machine, well...

Reply 3673 of 5853, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-12-24, 22:48:

If you use a real machine, well...

SHSUCD(X) can do up to 10 drives I believe. I don't know offhand how well it operates in practice for the above scenario. But the option is there to explore for those who wish.

Reply 3675 of 5853, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-12-25, 05:37:

I was more concerned about the physical side of things. Can one really install 4 or 6 CD-ROM drives in any retro machine ?

There were CD changers for up to 6 or 7 disks back in the day. It would assign a drive letter for each disk.
As for 4 separate drives, guess it's possible with additional IDE controllers. Not sure about 6, though.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 3676 of 5853, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished replaying Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Short and sweet, just as I had it in my memory.

The only thing that bothered me was that very last bit, right before the finale, when the Prince loses his time manipulation powers due to plot reasons. You are forced to perform some insanely complex platforming sequences without the ability to rewind time. Therefore, every mistake means restarting from the last checkpoint, which is super tedious. Excellent game otherwise.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3677 of 5853, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Joseph_Joestar,

Did you play Sands of Time with a controller or M/KB? I only ask because I've tried playing this game multiple times on different systems over the years and have always found the mouse handling in this game to be terrible no matter what mouse I used. It's like the game doesn't register very small mouse movements, similar to mouse acceleration or the dead-zone on a joystick or something. I haven't tried any of the sequels but Beyond Good & Evil uses the same engine (I think) and doesn't have the same issue.

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 3678 of 5853, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-12-26, 17:00:

The only thing that bothered me was that very last bit, right before the finale, when the Prince loses his time manipulation powers due to plot reasons. You are forced to perform some insanely complex platforming sequences without the ability to rewind time. Therefore, every mistake means restarting from the last checkpoint, which is super tedious. Excellent game otherwise.

Yeah, it's tedious. But there has to be something challenging to the last segment. 😜

Desomondo wrote on 2021-12-27, 19:14:

Did you play Sands of Time with a controller or M/KB? I only ask because I've tried playing this game multiple times on different systems over the years and have always found the mouse handling in this game to be terrible no matter what mouse I used. It's like the game doesn't register very small mouse movements, similar to mouse acceleration or the dead-zone on a joystick or something. I haven't tried any of the sequels but Beyond Good & Evil uses the same engine (I think) and doesn't have the same issue.

I recently played BG&E and I can attest that it's mouse handling is top-notch (it has other problems, but they don't have to do with control).

In fact BG&E is probably the first 3D platformer game ever that I played mouse&keyboard. Most of them I just do keyboard only, including all The Sands of Time and all subsequent Prince of Persia games.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3679 of 5853, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Desomondo wrote on 2021-12-27, 19:14:

Hey Joseph_Joestar,

Did you play Sands of Time with a controller or M/KB?

I used a mouse and keyboard and didn't notice any issues with the controls.

For reference, I played the GOG version on the Athlon64 system from my signature. No special tweaks or anything.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi