VOGONS

First post, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got this nice old AT case, but its missing some vital components.
Yea, it came WO motherboard standoffs.
Normally this would be no problem.
But in this case it needs the lian-li style square inserts like:
N3t1X43.jpg

Well i assume those are the ones i need, the case don't even have one left for reference.
The holes are about 8.2mm x 7mm btw.
Any ideas where I can find something that would work?

Reply 1 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These things are usually impossible to source, and don't seem standard from case to case anyway (the lug / hole design varies so that one type won't fit another).

This thread has most of the best alternatives (I favor the nut, bolt & washer approach)

Where to buy these metal standoffs?

Reply 2 of 14, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-03-01, 04:25:

These things are usually impossible to source, and don't seem standard from case to case anyway (the lug / hole design varies so that one type won't fit another).

This thread has most of the best alternatives (I favor the nut, bolt & washer approach)

Where to buy these metal standoffs?

Yea figured as much.
Well washers, nuts and bots are easy enough to come by i guess.
Cheers.

Reply 4 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some old Dell cases that use those sort of standoffs. There are at least 2 or 3 different heights of those type of standoffs.

Best best would be to design some and 3d print them.

Of course you would need to run a ground wire from the motherboard to the case if you did that.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-03-01, 03:34:
So I got this nice old AT case, but its missing some vital components. Yea, it came WO motherboard standoffs. Normally this woul […]
Show full quote

N3t1X43.jpg

Well i assume those are the ones i need, the case don't even have one left for reference.

I remember having seem those, used in a single ATX case containing a Slot 1 board. The case looked nice but also had these standoffs (without the screws) and I ended up trashing the case even though I kinda liked the case otherwise. It was some kind of "Sky" computer iirc?

Personally I didn't really like that system of standoffs anyway, seemed a bit more gammel compared to the standard ones which seem much more robust.

If you have none left in your case, it may be tricky to know how tall they will have to be. If you really want to rebuild the case, perhaps better to try and calculate the height of the standoffs from a different measurement so you can figure out the distance the motherboard has to have from the backplate of the case. Could try using measurements based on the expansion slots of the case.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 14, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Local hardware store, buy some nuts that fit the screws or a suitably sized combo. With a stack of penny washers. Use two part epoxy glue and add enough washers, with the nut, to recreate the correct height.

Take care to get them centred before the glue sets!

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 7 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are specific to the case. Most that use those have screw in standoffs along the back and use those toward the front with special punched area's in the mount plate that allows them to pinched into place depending on the motherboard.
Have a few and there is no hardware store or 3D printable replacement that would work due to them being as thin as razor blade where they "pinch" into the case mount plate.
Best thing is to drill out the mount plate where needed and then use texterted idea with modification.
If you drill out the plate then use brass stand offs with micro nut on back of plate, and then use standard board screw to stand off it will work just fine. Just make sure you use proper height stand off.
Been there and done it but have also saved every one of those mounts could find as they are very case specific.
Here are some variants of those mounts I have: (and no cannot spare any sorry)

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1.jpg
    File size
    256.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 14, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-03-01, 03:34:
So I got this nice old AT case, but its missing some vital components. Yea, it came WO motherboard standoffs. Normally this woul […]
Show full quote

N3t1X43.jpg

i have like 2 of those o one of my lian li casese, and i am also looking for replacement parts
the design is very bad, because if you use too much force they bend

if you are good with 3dprinting you could probably do somethig better

Reply 9 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some... As spares for the cases they go in.

There were some like that that were plastic.

The biggest problem with that type of standoff is the people would use the wrong type screw in them and then they would get jammed and only be able to be removed by taking the motherboard out and using a pliers to hold them. I've come across a few that were so bad that they had to be broken apart.

They are also good for damaging the underside of the motherboard if the get jammed and then somebody tried to remove the screw and it twists the standoff out of the motherboard tray and starts spinning against the back of the motherboard.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 14, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are on Ebay as replacements for the metal ones.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 11 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closest I could find... https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/snap-in-nuts/

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 14, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-01-07, 02:53:
I have some... As spares for the cases they go in. […]
Show full quote

I have some... As spares for the cases they go in.

There were some like that that were plastic.

The biggest problem with that type of standoff is the people would use the wrong type screw in them and then they would get jammed and only be able to be removed by taking the motherboard out and using a pliers to hold them. I've come across a few that were so bad that they had to be broken apart.

They are also good for damaging the underside of the motherboard if the get jammed and then somebody tried to remove the screw and it twists the standoff out of the motherboard tray and starts spinning against the back of the motherboard.

How many do you have?
do you need them? are you interested in selling some for me on ebay?

Reply 13 of 14, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-01, 23:14:

I have some old Dell cases that use those sort of standoffs. There are at least 2 or 3 different heights of those type of standoffs.

Best best would be to design some and 3d print them.

Of course you would need to run a ground wire from the motherboard to the case if you did that.

The old OEM systems I have that use square plastic standoff of those types ground to the chassis through the I/O shield.