VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't find a brand or model for the card in the pictures below I've read the back of the card as best I can make it out and I have most jumper setting set but I need help for 5 settings

J8 and J9 refer to the speed setting of either: SPD 0, SPD 2 *, SPD 4 or SPD 6 I have it set to SPD 2 * but I'm not sure what this speed setting is for its after the VL-IDE and ISA-IDE settings

J20 and J21 I have it set to SPP, the other options are EP? (? something), EPP/ECP I can't read the header above SPP in the picture so I don't know what this is for probably the LPT

J31 and J32 I have it set to W83757 the other two options are W8?777 and W8?7?7 it's the one in the pic of the top right hand corner, what is this one for

I have J11 set to "on" ISA-IDE ALE enable, what is ALE

The last one is J13, 1-2 ISA IDE ?? ???? HIPS, I don't know what this is either but I have 1+2 closed

Does someone have a manual, if you know this card and jumpers thanks if you can tell me the settings it's being used with a 486DX2 66 and VL video card

Attachments

Reply 2 of 4, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snufkin wrote on 2022-01-13, 12:32:

Not an exact match, but I think it's close: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy … HANCED-IDE.html

Looks very close. There are also a few Promise controller that are VERY similar. J13 doesn't match on this one, though. I would guess that J13 on this one is perhaps for the optional BIOS ROM, which is not populated on this board.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 4, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just looked up the datasheet for the W83777 and that says it was backward pin compatible with the 83757 (on this board), 83767 and 83787. So I guess those jumpers control some configuration strap pins depending on which controller the board has. E.g. the 83777 supports 2.88MB floppy drive but the 83787 only support 1.44MB.

Don't know about the Address Latch Enable or the ISA IDE (C?)hips jumpers.

[seems to be something about ALE getting reused as both a Spindle Sync signal and the cable select CSEL signal, e.g. http://www.alexandrugroza.ro/microelectronics … face/index.html 'Principle of Operation'. Still don't know if it should be enabled or disabled. ]

Last edited by snufkin on 2022-01-13, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.