VOGONS

Common searches

Are we opening sealed copies of old games?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 67, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have nearly 300 big box PC games (going to downsize a hefty portion that I don't really play soon), and I am extremely anal about everything regarding them.

Anything that came with the box a long time ago, including shrinkwrap, price stickers, ancient printed supplements, receipts all stay in the box. I am also very uncomfortable regarding mixing and matching with certain boxes, such as putting contents that came separately for one big box (at one point) inside another of the same big box I own, but on rare occasions, this rule doesn't apply, usually when the game is so rare that it would just be a bigger pain in the ass to hunt down another copy. I have only done this with a few boxes to date, a super HTF US big box variant of Theme Hospital, Powerdolls, and Twisted Metal 2. I would not open any of my sealed boxes, even though I'm definitely not one of those people who buys sealed games just to resell them later.

I will make an exception. If the game is common enough, I will open it or suggest opening it.

Reply 21 of 67, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I seem to remember that I mentioned in another thread, what if Heritage Auctions and what not of bad stuff(and mentioning Karl Jobst), happened with our little niche/hobby. Why do I smell something cooking/brewing and it is not a good smell ?
Einherje: personally I open my games. And save everything in the box if possible. Instead of keeping it sealed. Cause I am a PC games/video game player. Not a collector. Well, here are two videos from Karl Jobst, hence the reason why I smell a faint something something and it is not a good smell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLFEh7V18A (Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION In The Retro Video Game Market)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKbuNwS-gaI (The Retro Video Game Scam Gets Worse...)

Reply 22 of 67, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you know the wrapping hasn't been added by a previous owner? Machines to do this are easily obtainable. It might be a Slipknot CD and pizza menu in there.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 25 of 67, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-01-12, 00:05:

How do you know the wrapping hasn't been added by a previous owner? Machines to do this are easily obtainable. It might be a Slipknot CD and pizza menu in there.

This is something I've always feared when ponying up for a "new sealed" copy of anything. It's a catch 22. You don't really know unless you open the box and look, and then it's no longer "sealed." I don't have any sealed copies of games, but I do have some very good condition open box games, which at least I'm able to verify the contents.

I would buy a sealed copy of a game if the price was right, and probably leave it sealed. Otherwise I prefer to use stuff, while still taking very good care of it to keep it in very good condition.

Reply 26 of 67, by Einherje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2022-01-11, 09:01:

A sealed box may not always be 'new' - it could be resealed but then you wouldn't know without opening it!

My head just exploded. I never considered the possibility of fraudulent resealing!

WolverineDK wrote on 2022-01-11, 23:27:

Cause I am a PC games/video game player. Not a collector.

My sentiment exactly, so I've decided to open it.

Reply 27 of 67, by Einherje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DaveJustDave wrote on 2022-01-10, 17:30:

I'm curious... which David Eddings novel does it come with?

"The Diamond Throne" apparently, but the joke's clearly on me:

age_of_wonders_002.jpg

The bloke living on 250 Western Ave W3 6EE owes me!

Reply 29 of 67, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Einherje wrote on 2022-01-14, 10:27:

Stats! Stats all over the place! <3

Oh yeah, this is why I love the Heroes 1&2 creature stats cards that came with the original boxed versions (and the Compendium):
PCCE-HOMM-4152.jpg PCCE-HOMM-4224.jpg
(the same stats were also included in the manual, of course)

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 31 of 67, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the mid noughties there was a lot of complaining about game stores which had become a big thing, getting resealing machines and resealing just about everything they took in trade that looked halfway decent and putting it on their shelves as if new or priced so close to it that you couldn't be sure. So there could be a lot of re-seals booting around from that era, even if they were older games at the time of resealing. Then post the 08 crash, there was a lot of preplayed resealed stock turning up in discount and clearance stores. The shelf labeling might have said pre-played, and some of them might have had an externally applied label saying preplayed, but they may have been peelable, so again may be around in a state that leaves status questionable.

It's all very well saying it's real easy to tell the difference when you've got a really new one and a reseal side by side, but for most people that's not gonna happen.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 32 of 67, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-14, 15:01:

In the mid noughties there was a lot of complaining about game stores which had become a big thing, getting resealing machines and resealing just about everything they took in trade that looked halfway decent and putting it on their shelves as if new or priced so close to it that you couldn't be sure. So there could be a lot of re-seals booting around from that era, even if they were older games at the time of resealing. Then post the 08 crash, there was a lot of preplayed resealed stock turning up in discount and clearance stores. The shelf labeling might have said pre-played, and some of them might have had an externally applied label saying preplayed, but they may have been peelable, so again may be around in a state that leaves status questionable.

It's all very well saying it's real easy to tell the difference when you've got a really new one and a reseal side by side, but for most people that's not gonna happen.

If your point is most people aren't going to take the time to determine whether they will be taken advantage of, then yes, I agree. Otherwise, it takes less than 5 minutes comparing several sealed/unsealed copies on eBay to see if any tomfoolery is afoot (combined with quick searches on the Internet, if even necessary).

If you're referring to the individuals who are willing to spend $1000+ on a sealed box of Half-Life 2 big box, this market is even smaller, and I expect those people are experts in what they are looking for.

Last edited by Snover on 2024-02-15, 21:32. Edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 137354

Reply 33 of 67, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually don't open sealed boxes of software/hardware but on rare occassions I do - it depends on the condition of the box. Shrinkwrap has the annoying tendency to shrink (haha) and to damage the box especially around the corners and at the bottom and top portion. I don't have that many sealed games anymore (~ 10-15) but a lot of office software boxes which are still sealed (~ 50) which I check once a year. If a box shows signs of damage I just remove the shrinkwrap as an immaculate condition of the box is more important than a bad one covered in stupid foil.

Reply 34 of 67, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote on 2022-01-14, 16:36:

If a box shows signs of damage I just remove the shrinkwrap as an immaculate condition of the box is more important than a bad one covered in stupid foil.

I could not agree more. I have done this myself a few times.

Last edited by Snover on 2024-02-15, 21:33. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 137356

Reply 35 of 67, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-14, 14:46:

There's nothing like a 5lbs. of paperwork... Old software/games are great.

Same goes for old applications where the manuals are actually more useful.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 36 of 67, by Einherje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2022-01-14, 11:27:

Oh yeah, this is why I love the Heroes 1&2 creature stats cards that came with the original boxed versions (and the Compendium):

I see you're a man of culture as well.

homam_001.jpg

Reply 37 of 67, by Einherje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-01-14, 18:26:
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-14, 14:46:

There's nothing like a 5lbs. of paperwork... Old software/games are great.

Same goes for old applications where the manuals are actually more useful.

More useful than the software or more useful than manuals are today?

Reply 38 of 67, by Einherje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote on 2022-01-11, 23:27:

I seem to remember that I mentioned in another thread, what if Heritage Auctions and what not of bad stuff(and mentioning Karl Jobst), happened with our little niche/hobby.

Just watched the first video in your links. I had heard about the debacle from Neil Thomas' and John Shawler's "This Week in Retro" podcast, which I highly recommend by the way. I didn't realize the extend of this scandal though. Despicable.