VOGONS

First post, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I have finally put together my computer I’ve been working on for the last 3 years. However I am having one problem. I can’t get the darn thing started. I have switched out the power supply and I’m still not able to get it to start. I am wondering if any of you would know if it’s something that could be wrong with the motherboard. It’s an OR840 motherboard. I’m honestly at a loss for what could be the problem so if anyone has any ideas for trouble shooting that would be great. Thanks for any responses.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 19, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You did actually have a cpu or 2 in it when you tried, right?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-01-15, 07:46:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-01-15, 07:38:

Yes. That was just a photo of the motherboard everything is currently installed

Is it an Intel version board or say, an IBM OEM version (latter may have used a security dongle at startup)?

Checked the coin cell battery is OK?

If running only 1 cpu do you have a terminator in the other slot?

More details on processors, memory, installed cards would help + pics of full installation

Reply 4 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-15, 08:54:
Is it an Intel version board or say, an IBM OEM version (latter may have used a security dongle at startup)? […]
Show full quote
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-01-15, 07:46:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-01-15, 07:38:

Yes. That was just a photo of the motherboard everything is currently installed

Is it an Intel version board or say, an IBM OEM version (latter may have used a security dongle at startup)?

Checked the coin cell battery is OK?

If running only 1 cpu do you have a terminator in the other slot?

More details on processors, memory, installed cards would help + pics of full installation

Thanks for the tips I switched the battery and got a terminator and now it’s working.

Reply 5 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having another issue however. When I boot up my pc my monitor stays in this cycle mode and doesn’t display anything on the actual pc. It’s connected to my gpu. Is there something I may have connected wrong?

598B68A6-7EDD-46F7-AE73-96C29A16F372.jpeg
Filename
598B68A6-7EDD-46F7-AE73-96C29A16F372.jpeg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
697B5B15-6181-4801-95DF-1F74F086C117.jpeg
Filename
697B5B15-6181-4801-95DF-1F74F086C117.jpeg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 19, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This motherboard requires special power supply. The one on the picture looks like it, but don't see the special secondary connector to tell. If it is the right PSU - both power connectors need to be plugged. The typical weird big brand stuff.
There was something with BIOS versions and size of memory modules.
Remember having some early bios version that didn't like 128mb mem sticks.
Forgot the details but switching to 512mb ones worked, also not sure if it was in combination with latest BIOS or not, take a closer look.

If you cannot get it to work at the end - don't feel too bad. The mobo is good for what it is, but there is better dual slot1 stuff out there. So you may end up with something better.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 7 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2022-01-16, 08:39:
This motherboard requires special power supply. The one on the picture looks like it, but don't see the special secondary connec […]
Show full quote

This motherboard requires special power supply. The one on the picture looks like it, but don't see the special secondary connector to tell. If it is the right PSU - both power connectors need to be plugged. The typical weird big brand stuff.
Forgot the details but switching to 512mb ones worked, also not sure if it was in combination with latest BIOS or not, take a closer look.

If you cannot get it to work at the end - don't feel too bad. The mobo is good for what it is, but there is better dual slot1 stuff out there. So you may end up with something better.

Is this in regards to the computer not turning on or my problem with the monitor?

Reply 9 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-01-16, 19:09:
This motherboard requires special power supply. The one on the picture looks like it, but don't see the special secondary connec […]
Show full quote

Is this in regards to the computer not turning on or my problem with the monitor?

@Xray1281, could be a number of things stopping you getting a display, so...

...don't worry re. the PSU - that secondary connector (6-pin AUX) isn't needed for a succesful minimum boot / display. However, it wouldn't hurt to try other PSUs (higher wattage if you have them)

...BIOS version could be an issue for both memory & processor(s), but difficult to say without a display (may also depend whether the board is an Intel or OEM version). Fortunately, latest updates are still available for both.

...what video card are you using - you mention a "GeForce 256 DDR" here - Putting together my 90’s super computer - is this still the case? The manual for your monitor is fairly basic, but the specs should normally support some kind of display. Do you have other video cards you could try.

...what RDRAM memory are you using - from your pic it looks possibly like 4 sticks of maybe 64 or 128MB. Did this come installed with the board or did you add it youself. What are the exact specs of the memory in each slot e.g. it might read something like 128MB / 8 ECC PC600-53. Use of matching sticks & slot order is important here.

...what processor are you using - again, your other thread mentions a "Pentium 3 733 MHz socket 370 with 370 to slot 1 converter" - is this still the case. Details please of both the slot 1 converter (make / model) & processor (give the S-spec number beginning SL3 or SL4)

More generally, disconnect any drives (power & data) and remove any PCI cards that aren't needed for now.

Reply 10 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I haven’t responded to any of the helpful tips until now. I upgraded my ram to the full 2gb it can have. I got a proper terminator for the extra cpu slot. However it still will not display on my monitor. The monitor instead keeps doing the same idle test setup it’s been doing. I also found my disc drive will for some reason not work when I connect it to the ide cable but when I leave it just connected to the power supply it’s working fine.

Reply 11 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some current photos of my pc

Attachments

Reply 13 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-17, 08:43:
@Xray1281, could be a number of things stopping you getting a display, so... […]
Show full quote
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-01-16, 19:09:
Show full quote

@Xray1281, could be a number of things stopping you getting a display, so...

...don't worry re. the PSU - that secondary connector (6-pin AUX) isn't needed for a succesful minimum boot / display. However, it wouldn't hurt to try other PSUs (higher wattage if you have them)

...BIOS version could be an issue for both memory & processor(s), but difficult to say without a display (may also depend whether the board is an Intel or OEM version). Fortunately, latest updates are still available for both.

...what video card are you using - you mention a "GeForce 256 DDR" here - Putting together my 90’s super computer - is this still the case? The manual for your monitor is fairly basic, but the specs should normally support some kind of display. Do you have other video cards you could try.

...what RDRAM memory are you using - from your pic it looks possibly like 4 sticks of maybe 64 or 128MB. Did this come installed with the board or did you add it youself. What are the exact specs of the memory in each slot e.g. it might read something like 128MB / 8 ECC PC600-53. Use of matching sticks & slot order is important here.

...what processor are you using - again, your other thread mentions a "Pentium 3 733 MHz socket 370 with 370 to slot 1 converter" - is this still the case. Details please of both the slot 1 converter (make / model) & processor (give the S-spec number beginning SL3 or SL4)

More generally, disconnect any drives (power & data) and remove any PCI cards that aren't needed for now.

I did some upgrading with the ram and my graphics card is still the 256 ddr. I’m more wondering if this is a monitor issue now than it is my pc but I’m still not sure.

Reply 14 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-01-24, 20:49:

I did some upgrading with the ram and my graphics card is still the 256 ddr. I’m more wondering if this is a monitor issue now than it is my pc but I’m still not sure.

First thing I might suspect is the slotket adapter - the Tekram P6TS3 REV 1.0 - https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/tekram … s3/p6ts3_10.pdf - isn't designed for Coppermine processors. Until you have a working system you'd be better using a proper Slot 1 P3 Coppermine.

Reply 15 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-25, 00:04:

First thing I might suspect is the slotket adapter - the Tekram P6TS3 REV 1.0 - https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/tekram … s3/p6ts3_10.pdf - isn't designed for Coppermine processors. Until you have a working system you'd be better using a proper Slot 1 P3 Coppermine.

Thanks this seemed to be the problem unfortunately the only slot 1 I have has a bus speed of 100mhz and the motherboard calls for one with 133mhz. It worked for a seconds but now won’t boot. I have another one coming on the way.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 19, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-25, 00:04:

I got a new correct cpu but I am still not able to get the darn thing to get back to the ibm set up like I posted in the last picture. The screen bugs out and I am then no longer able to turn the computer off Except by unplugging the whole thing…

Attachments

Reply 18 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what was the issue. its a *HUGE* pet peeve to say "it's fixed" and not tell people HOW it happened.

Its nice to leave information for someone else googling your issue.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 19 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2022-02-01, 03:31:

what was the issue. its a *HUGE* pet peeve to say "it's fixed" and not tell people HOW it happened.

Its nice to leave information for someone else googling your issue.

Patient seems to have changed wards 😀 - Configuration questions