VOGONS

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the purpose of this thread vintage means manufactured between 1900 and 1992.

I'll reply down the ways some. I have to think about it.

Reply 1 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Antex Z1 or Z1e ISA sound card.
Antex Z1/Z1e ?

I've only been looking for one of these for about 5 years now.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 46, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Plasma wrote on 2022-01-26, 15:49:

STB PowerMeg. 32MB EMS/XMS memory expansion ISA card.

Oh that's a nice one.

I'm always looking for parts from 1995 to put in a 1992 case:

• Asus PVI-486SP3 Mobo
  • Cyrix 5x86-133 CPU
  • ATI Graphics Pro Turbo VLB w/ 4MB Graphics
  • In this case: 4m29OjYm.jpg

Reply 5 of 46, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd love to own an Amiga one day. I probably never will though, as they're the *SINGLE* kind of computer that I never see for sale locally. Not even 15 years ago, when C64s, IIGSs, PS/2s, and frickin PCs with Voodoo3s in them could regularly be had for $10 at garage sales. And as for eBay...heh yeah right. Couple more dollars and I could buy a yacht.

Oh well. An Amiga would likely be wasted on me anyway, since I didn't even have one growing up.

Last edited by Standard Def Steve on 2022-01-26, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 6 of 46, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2022-01-26, 18:27:

I'd love to own an Amiga one day. I probably never will though, as I they're the *SINGLE* kind of computer that I never see for sale locally. Not even 15 years ago, when C64s, IIGSs, PS/2s, and frickin PCs with Voodoo3s in them could regularly be had for $10 at garage sales. And as for eBay...heh yeah right. Couple more dollars and I could buy a yacht.

Oh well. An Amiga would likely be wasted on me anyway, since I didn't even have one growing up.

Same here. Never had an Amiga but I can't justify the cost to get one now just to screw around with it.

There is an A500 mini coming out in a few months, and I suspect a full size A500 replica next year. It's the same company that put out the C64 mini and full size. It's all emulation of course, but the full size C64 replica is a decent experience for $130. I'm hoping the full size A500 will be similar.

Reply 7 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone had an Amiga cd32 at vcfeast swap meet last April. 450$. I couldn't justify the expenditure, though I'm sure that's a lot better then ebay prices. And it was new.

Yes I've had a hankering for a 500 for some time. I remember when they were cheap, brand new mobos for 60$. Problem is with Meegers most everything is proprietary. Just get an emulator, that's what I say.

There's a possibility I could obtain a Stacy soon. It would be an interesting machine.to clone.

Reply 8 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm looking for about half the stuff I think I already own 🤣 ( Flying Dutchmen, White Whales, the ghost HW that eludes you, lost & found. )

I guess there's a list in my head of stuff I would grab if I saw it at yard sales, not think long about if listed cheap locally... but actually hunting it out or paying premium prices, nahhhh, maybe if I am flush and I still want it sometime... Stuff on that list probably goes like "some CP/M system, Amstrad PPC1640, amiga stuff..." a lot of know it when I see it things.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 46, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blowing OP's vintage definition out of the water, but the only thing on my list right now is an Auzentech X-Fi Forte for my XP build.

[edit] Funny timing. I might be sorted now.

Last edited by Pierre32 on 2022-01-26, 22:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 46, by DamienC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd love an extra AT mini tower or desktop case. Shame the only options are importing from Europe/Russia and paying $70+ in shipping or $200-300 on eBay from someone in the states.

I'm in the northeast US and they're pretty much all gone here.

Reply 11 of 46, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are maybe one or two things I'm looking for that are a bit newer than OP's definition of vintage (like a CT3900 AWE32 or a Promise VLB card), but the one thing pre-92 I want it a Tandy 286 accelerator (made by PC Technologies).

I even got a rebranded card from the same company (Mountain Racecard-286), but looks like only the official Tandy card would work in my Tandy 1000SX (probably because of the way graphics works on original Tandy 1000s).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-27, 00:34:
darry wrote on 2022-01-26, 18:16:

More (affordable) Gravis Ultrasound cards . I want to have more 1 or 2 more spares .

Dies laughing, they are like more affordable Adlib Gold cards.

According to recent sold prices on a certain auction site, 200-300 $US (card only) seems to be the going rate for GUSes these last few months whereas Adlib Gold cards (apparently new in box) are more around 2000-3000 $US . So GUSes are significantly more affordable indeed, but still too much for me. I'd go to about 100 $US for one (and these do sometimes pop up), but I'm not actively shopping.

Maybe I'll get lucky, like the time about 2-3 years ago when I found a working 10 $CAN PCI Voodoo 3 3000 in a pawnshop or the time I found a 5ish $CAN Rendition Verite V2200 at Value Village .

Personally, I don't care much for the new in box aspect, as long as the card works.

I care even less about the Adlib Gold (except for the potential positive monetary aspect of finding one cheap to sell to someone who does care). I did own one back in the day, tested it and found no practical use for it at the time . If one happened to fall into my hand locally for cheap, I would definitely give it a go (especially if the surround module was included), but I doubt it would be a keeper for me, except maybe as an investment .

I actually still own almost all my GUS and GUS PnP cards from back in the day and have added one or two along the way (last one in early 2000s). Some of those are well packed somewhere in the depths of my storage locker, so I don't actually know for sure how many I have, 🤣 . That said, more importantly, I did actually use and enjoy the GUS(es) for many years back in the day, so I have an attachment to them. Additionally, they actually have a significant unique ability (sample RAM and hardware mixing with interpolation).

Reply 14 of 46, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah had some old Adlib cards back in mid 1990's, maybe even a Gold version, same with a few older GUS models and junked/donated/whatever them...but they became basically useless for me gaming when Awe32 came out,.
Being a Gamer and not a collector back then never figured some of those would end up worth so much.....

darry: I get the attachment part. Saved all my Media Vision cards because I had a special attachment to them for some reason (if only they were worth what a GUS is 🤣)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15 of 46, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-01-27, 03:06:
According to recent sold prices on a certain auction site, 200-300 $US (card only) seems to be the going rate for GUSes these l […]
Show full quote

More (affordable) Gravis Ultrasound cards . I want to have more 1 or 2 more spares .

According to recent sold prices on a certain auction site, 200-300 $US (card only) seems to be the going rate for GUSes these last few months whereas Adlib Gold cards (apparently new in box) are more around 2000-3000 $US . So GUSes are significantly more affordable indeed, but still too much for me. I'd go to about 100 $US for one (and these do sometimes pop up), but I'm not actively shopping.

Maybe I'll get lucky, like the time about 2-3 years ago when I found a working 10 $CAN PCI Voodoo 3 3000 in a pawnshop or the time I found a 5ish $CAN Rendition Verite V2200 at Value Village .

Personally, I don't care much for the new in box aspect, as long as the card works.

I care even less about the Adlib Gold (except for the potential positive monetary aspect of finding one cheap to sell to someone who does care). I did own one back in the day, tested it and found no practical use for it at the time . If one happened to fall into my hand locally for cheap, I would definitely give it a go (especially if the surround module was included), but I doubt it would be a keeper for me, except maybe as an investment .

I actually still own almost all my GUS and GUS PnP cards from back in the day and have added one or two along the way (last one in early 2000s). Some of those are well packed somewhere in the depths of my storage locker, so I don't actually know for sure how many I have, 🤣 . That said, more importantly, I did actually use and enjoy the GUS(es) for many years back in the day, so I have an attachment to them. Additionally, they actually have a significant unique ability (sample RAM and hardware mixing with interpolation).

Yup and Adlib Gold in good working condition even without the box is worth a nice bit of cash to the right person and likely worth holding onto just as an investment piece, there will always be someone wanting one.

I never had a GUS as they didn't really make it here in Australia at least where I lived and the ones that did were expensive, saw more SoundBlaster's, AWEs and Roland parts down this way.

Reply 17 of 46, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
According to recent sold prices on a certain auction site, 200-300 $US (card only) seems to be the going rate for GUSes these l […]
Show full quote

I mean if you look around online they can pop up for better prices , I got mine from Hong Kong of all places for 100aud shipped. It was on a classified site for like 2 years and nobody wanted it for some reason even though it was unused and boxed. There was one on yahoo auctions ages ago for like 70 and I think there was one on allegro poland for like 200 Aud. All were the same primax soundstorm gravis card.

Reply 18 of 46, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyways as for stuff I want im not super sure , ofc an adlib gold would be fun to try out but I'm not holding my breath.

Bit newer than what op said, maybe an awe64 gold but I'm not sure I really need it.

That serdashop CMSLPT is quite tempting however , always wanted to listen to some gameblaster tunes.

Reply 19 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-01-27, 05:57:
Show full quote

I mean if you look around online they can pop up for better prices , I got mine from Hong Kong of all places for 100aud shipped. It was on a classified site for like 2 years and nobody wanted it for some reason even though it was unused and boxed. There was one on yahoo auctions ages ago for like 70 and I think there was one on allegro poland for like 200 Aud. All were the same primax soundstorm gravis card.

That sounds interesting . How good is the sound quality on those Primax variants ?