Topic actions

Reply 42180 of 52759, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rkurbatov wrote on 2022-01-29, 23:05:

That's LMSI, not LMS

Not really - it was LMSI but it later changed to LMS:

Laser Magnetic Storage International (LMSI) was a subsidiary of Philips that designed and manufactured optical and magnetic media.[1] It began as a joint venture between Philips and Control Data Corporation.[2] It later become Philips LMS.

35AE1345-7499-420D-A9EA-86D3D30B9C48.jpeg
Filename
35AE1345-7499-420D-A9EA-86D3D30B9C48.jpeg
File size
225.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 42181 of 52759, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EvieSigma wrote on 2022-01-30, 00:08:

The other machine I got recently was this "Blue Chip Precision 386" compact tower, but it's not a 386, it's actually a 486SLC2(!!!). Cannot find any kind of branding on the motherboard to identify it but that's how it identifies itself. A very neat computer and future project, with some very decent cards inside (a Tseng ET4000AX based video card and an Aztech soundcard with a real Yamaha OPL3 chip on board). The hard drive seems to have some issues, I probably will end up having to replace it, but overall I'm quite happy with the system.

https://imgur.com/a/6fey4YG

I vaguely remember Blue Chip .. was a long time back that I last saw one however.

Reply 42182 of 52759, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Big OOF, looks like Voodoo5 5500 has taken another price jump now over ~1200 AUD or about ~800USD 🙁

Not happy.

Pets V4 4500, dont you die little buddy.

On a side note . .found a ATX super tower so now I have to figure out how to get longer cables to put a build into it, ...wonder if the Quadzilla would fit it well, the case is certainly big enough for Godzilla.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-01-30, 01:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42183 of 52759, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seleryba wrote on 2022-01-30, 00:22:

Not really - it was LMSI but it later changed to LMS:

I see. That's interesting.

With all of that retro-feelings I want to get some CD Audio disks 😀 So I could listen to the music from CDs like it was originally.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 42184 of 52759, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-30, 01:01:

Big OOF, looks like Voodoo5 5500 has taken another price jump now over ~1200 AUD or about ~800USD 🙁

Not happy.

Its because retro PC gaming is trying to go mainstream and the hipsters are coming in. The hobby is going to get flooded with people with pockets so deep @Artex will look like a peasant. Same bullshit is happening with CRT TVs and the same bullshit happened with retro gaming quite a while ago now. Voodoo3 3000s are basically as expensive as 5500s were 2 years ago now. I'm glad the 3000 another VOGONS user gave me some years ago is still chugging along nicely.

This is why I'm notoriously elitist and gatekeepy with my hobbies. At this point with the types of chumps joining this hobby, if I were to die some horrific unforeseen death tomorrow, I just want my shit thrown into a river unless a museum or someone from my shortlist of individuals who actually are in the hobby for the right reasons takes it. I don't want it falling into the hands of some snobby college kid who just wants to look cool. I was doing this shit years before it was cool. Like you can't have a cheap hobby anymore. It seems like everytime I switch to a new cheap hobby prices start going up soon after.

Anywho, I've been bored lately and slightly motivated get some of the more esoteric items on my want list before they get noticed by the above mentioned deep pockets people so I've picked up both an Intel i740 and a 3DLabs Permedia 2. I will be curious to see how these cards perform. I also need to invest in a Super Socket 7 ATX board at some point, since I would like to have something more approriate than a slow P3 to test these early 3D cards on.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 42185 of 52759, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-01-30, 01:26:
Its because retro PC gaming is trying to go mainstream and the hipsters are coming in. The hobby is going to get flooded with pe […]
Show full quote

Not happy.

Its because retro PC gaming is trying to go mainstream and the hipsters are coming in. The hobby is going to get flooded with people with pockets so deep @Artex will look like a peasant. Same bullshit is happening with CRT TVs and the same bullshit happened with retro gaming quite a while ago now. Voodoo3 3000s are basically as expensive as 5500s were 2 years ago now. I'm glad the 3000 another VOGONS user gave me some years ago is still chugging along nicely.

This is why I'm notoriously elitist and gatekeepy with my hobbies. At this point with the types of chumps joining this hobby, if I were to die some horrific unforeseen death tomorrow, I just want my shit thrown into a river unless a museum or someone from my shortlist of individuals who actually are in the hobby for the right reasons takes it. I don't want it falling into the hands of some snobby college kid who just wants to look cool. I was doing this shit years before it was cool. Like you can't have a cheap hobby anymore. It seems like everytime I switch to a new cheap hobby prices start going up soon after.

Anywho, I've been bored lately and slightly motivated get some of the more esoteric items on my want list before they get noticed by the above mentioned deep pockets people so I've picked up both an Intel i740 and a 3DLabs Permedia 2. I will be curious to see how these cards perform. I also need to invest in a Super Socket 7 ATX board at some point, since I would like to have something more approriate than a slow P3 to test these early 3D cards on.

i740 wasn't the greatest when it was first released and now its still just as uhm mediocre as it always was, would be a fun GPU to do an all intel P4 Willamette Rambus build with .. if you are going to do mediocre then may as well go the whole hog 🤣. Havent had any experience with the Permedia 2 but it'll be at the very least better than the i740, you could always jump to a 370 Tualatin or 1ghz Coppermine 370, would be perfect for testing AGP gpus and a lot faster than a SS7 which topped out at 570 or 620ish with certain expensive FIC boards and the right CPU.

(Don't look up prices for the K6-3+ 550ACR ...they fetch 440GBP last I checked, you can get three K6-2+ 570 for 70USD instead from a guy who has 30k of them)

Reply 42186 of 52759, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-30, 00:40:
EvieSigma wrote on 2022-01-30, 00:08:

The other machine I got recently was this "Blue Chip Precision 386" compact tower, but it's not a 386, it's actually a 486SLC2(!!!). Cannot find any kind of branding on the motherboard to identify it but that's how it identifies itself. A very neat computer and future project, with some very decent cards inside (a Tseng ET4000AX based video card and an Aztech soundcard with a real Yamaha OPL3 chip on board). The hard drive seems to have some issues, I probably will end up having to replace it, but overall I'm quite happy with the system.

https://imgur.com/a/6fey4YG

I vaguely remember Blue Chip .. was a long time back that I last saw one however.

I've seen this design of case before with the power supply on the bottom and the drive bays "upside down" but I couldn't tell you what kind of computer it was, just that it was posted in this thread.

Reply 42187 of 52759, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-30, 01:33:
Its because retro PC gaming is trying to go mainstream and the hipsters are coming in. The hobby is going to get flooded with pe […]
Show full quote

Not happy.

i740 wasn't the greatest when it was first released and now its still just as uhm mediocre as it always was, would be a fun GPU to do an all intel P4 Willamette Rambus build with .. if you are going to do mediocre then may as well go the whole hog 🤣. Havent had any experience with the Permedia 2 but it'll be at the very least better than the i740, you could always jump to a 370 Tualatin or 1ghz Coppermine 370, would be perfect for testing AGP gpus and a lot faster than a SS7 which topped out at 570 or 620ish with certain expensive FIC boards and the right CPU.

(Don't look up prices for the K6-3+ 550ACR ...they fetch 440GBP last I checked, you can get three K6-2+ 570 for 70USD instead from a guy who has 30k of them)

I have a K6 450 CPU ready to go, I just need a board that supports its ridiculous ass. Its from a laptop and its one of those that uses a weird FSB/Multi combo.

But hol up, how do you end up with 30,0000 K6-2 CPUs in 2022? Did the guy end up with a full OEM pallet or something?

Last edited by TheAbandonwareGuy on 2022-01-30, 03:53. Edited 1 time in total.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 42188 of 52759, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My theory is, they shipped industrial control systems for dozens of kilobucks and guaranteed parts availability for 20 years.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42189 of 52759, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-01-30, 03:46:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-30, 01:33:

I have a K6 450 CPU ready to go, I just need a board that supports its ridiculous ass.

But hol up, how do you end up with 30,0000 K6-2 CPUs in 2022? Did the guy end up with a full OEM pallet or something?

Apparently, he has last I checked so many of them he is selling them in lots of 3 and has over 9600 lots left so not quite 30k but he has sold quite a few already, he is also selling K6-3+ 450ACR with over 100 of them left too. Selling a lot of other components too that look like they are related to being a system builder of some kind so either they are off loading old stock or they got liquidated and old stock is being sold off.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-01-30, 03:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42190 of 52759, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-30, 03:51:

My theory is, they shipped industrial control systems for dozens of kilobucks and guaranteed parts availability for 20 years.

That makes sense. Reminds me of the dude that had a pallet of Compaq V3 3500s about a half decade back.

EDIT: I just want to say the fact that this forum does not award l33t status at 1337 posts is a violation of the ancient laws of the web.

Reply 42191 of 52759, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-01-30, 03:54:

EDIT: I just want to say the fact that this forum does not award l33t status at 1337 posts is a violation of the ancient laws of the web.

Looks like you'll need to resist the temptation of ever posting anything else if you want to keep that status. Good luck!

Reply 42192 of 52759, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or I should only be "Deadly" at the moment... https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Elite_Rating#Ratings

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42193 of 52759, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a Compaq Prolinea 5120 for myself as a late birthday present. It comes with keyboard and mouse, possibly original.

I have never owned one of these slim, proprietary desktop computers, I'm quite excited! I hope it survives shipping. 😀

Sellers pic.

Screenshot_20220130-172950.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20220130-172950.jpg
File size
111.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Joakim on 2022-01-30, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42194 of 52759, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Protip: mail unprotected glassware to yourself periodically as a sacrifice to the shipping gods 🤣

Yah, hope it travels alright. How does that birthday thing work <6 months, late birthday present, >6 months early birthday present ?

Reply 42196 of 52759, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting how suddenly we got at least 3 different people buying Compaq Prolinea's from the same line. Did someone uncover a stash of Prolineas or something?

Reply 42197 of 52759, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a 386 PC. I believe the motherboard HOT 307 is beyond repair. However, I will try to fix it, when I have the time. Does anyone have a motherboard like this and could send me some close-up pictures of the traces where the damaged area is?

Attachments

Reply 42198 of 52759, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Turbo -> wrote on 2022-01-30, 18:00:

Bought a 386 PC. I believe the motherboard HOT 307 is beyond repair. However, I will try to fix it, when I have the time. Does anyone have a motherboard like this and could send me some close-up pictures of the traces where the damaged area is?

That's interesting how small they became eventually. I have a full-size 386 motherboard (UM386), the one of yours is much smaller and my second one has somewhat similar layout with Am386 soldered on it and it's even smaller (barely wider than ISA slot). And then again 486 mobo became big and nice.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 42199 of 52759, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow, that's getting a bit beyond battery corrosion and into an X-files episode of some all consuming fungus released from ancient grave or something.