VOGONS

First post, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come across this picture of an IBM docking station. There was no further info along with it.
Does anyone know what model this is, or whether this dock was actually released? I've never seen it before and cannot find any info about it.

IMG_3045.jpg
Filename
IMG_3045.jpg
File size
46.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 1 of 4, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This dock looks like a rackmount model. IBM used to supply Thinkpads as server consoles for their mainframe offers.
You would like to search on IBM server/mainframe parts category... There are chances you will find this one there.

Reply 2 of 4, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats definately a laptop docking station imo, not a server console. Ports on the side of the docking stattion would be inaccesable, no rails and it's not 19" wide so not rack mountable. Personally I'm not aware of them ever selling entire laptops as server consoles.

IBM did supply rackmountable consoles, which used Ultranav keyboards (SK-8840, SK-8835 etc... same as thinkpad) and foldable screen into single 1U trays so look like a laptop, but these were just screens and keyboards, not entire laptops.

see for examples: https://lenovopress.com/tips0731

Reply 3 of 4, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The laptop looks like a 7xx series. I am not aware of IBM having ever sold anything remotely like this for the 7xx series.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 4, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for your opinions, guys. That's inded doesn't look like a rack mountable console. Apart from the inaccessible ports, they would have probably chosen a more industrial picture on the screen. Guess it was designed as desktop replacement for office work, more comfortable typing, etc.
The docked laptop is some 75x series laptop, maybe 755CS. The back part of the dock seems to have enough room to accomodate an ISA card.
Still hope that someone will identify this thing.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers