Reply 42540 of 52693, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brawndo wrote on 2022-02-12, 03:49:
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:02:

Canopus Pure3DII LX Voodoo2 SLI

Awesome set! I've been casually on the lookout for a pair of Canopus Voodoo2 boards (I already have several Diamond and STB boards), only time I found a pair for sale on ebay they were boxed and sold for around $600 USD, far too rich for my blood. Hopefully you got a better deal than that.

I paid about a bit more than 1.5x that amount. I have a different tack. I'd rather pay the money when I see something I want, rather than wait years for it to show up again at wishful pricing. These things don't tend to get cheaper, either, as time goes on... if they even show up at all. I suppose waiting for a dummy to come along and sell it for cheaper is another strategy or finding a set which is trashed and spending weeks trying to fix it is another; but I don't have the patience (or the desire to obtain the skills for repair... replacing caps is already a pain in my rear). I prefer to be the dummy now with bottomless pockets of money. I will never have bottomless pockets of time. The best part is I'm probably not even going to use these. I tested them, they work, and now they're going back in the box. I just wanted them is all.... but wait!......I'm actually going to spend even more money on them and have them shipped to Oscar for custom heatsink/fan mounting.

Reply 42541 of 52693, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-12, 16:07:
mrfusion92 wrote on 2022-02-12, 15:51:
A Mitac 5033 […]
Show full quote

A Mitac 5033

20220212-153457.jpg

Here other pics.

CPU AMD K6-2 @ 366Mhz
RAM 96 MB
VIDEO Trident 9660 2 MB VRAM
SOUND ESS 1869

Yes, it's ugly.
Yes, that's tape.
Yes, the plastic breaks while just looking at it.
Yes, it was very cheap.

But I love it! I've installed DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1. Good sound support in DOS using drivers found here.
I've got running every dos game i throwed it with no performance issues at all. Only Need for Speed crashes when a race is started (but I suspect I've bad files).

I don't care about the appearance, I wanted a working dos laptop. Besides there are near to zero spare parts available and what I found is in bad conditions as mine. So tape is only way to go!

Sounds like it is time to start 3d printing replacement plastics.

The whole enclosure should be printed then! Sadly I'm not capable of 3D drawning

Reply 42542 of 52693, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-12, 16:10:
Brawndo wrote on 2022-02-12, 03:49:
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:02:

Canopus Pure3DII LX Voodoo2 SLI

Awesome set! I've been casually on the lookout for a pair of Canopus Voodoo2 boards (I already have several Diamond and STB boards), only time I found a pair for sale on ebay they were boxed and sold for around $600 USD, far too rich for my blood. Hopefully you got a better deal than that.

I paid about a bit more than 1.5x that amount. I have a different tack. I'd rather pay the money when I see something I want, rather than wait years for it to show up again at wishful pricing. These things don't tend to get cheaper, either, as time goes on... if they even show up at all. I suppose waiting for a dummy to come along and sell it for cheaper is another strategy or finding a set which is trashed and spending weeks trying to fix it is another; but I don't have the patience (or the desire to obtain the skills for repair... replacing caps is already a pain in my rear). I prefer to be the dummy now with bottomless pockets of money. I will never have bottomless pockets of time. The best part is I'm probably not even going to use these. I tested them, they work, and now they're going back in the box. I just wanted them is all.... but wait!......I'm actually going to spend even more money on them and have them shipped to Oscar for custom heatsink/fan mounting.

I get it, if you have the discretionary scratch then go for it. I will spend whatever it takes to get some hard to find things. I paid around $150 for an old Thermaltake Xaser V tower on ebay because I HAD to have that exact one to recreate my very first custom built gaming PC, and while that's a lot to pay for an empty tower, I don't regret it one bit, as that's the only one I've ever seen for sale and I haven't seen another one since. And you're right, this stuff will only get harder to find. Thanks, now I'm regretting not buying those Canopus cards when they were up for auction. 🤣

Reply 42543 of 52693, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought 30 44256 45 ns DIP RAM by accident. I meant to buy 10, but somehow the page refreshed or something and by the time I saw what happened, eh, I'll keep them. There's a few cards around here that can take advantage of them, worst case I'll sell any extras - if I can get even half of what they're going for on eBay, I'll more than cover my mistake.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 42544 of 52693, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jed118 wrote on 2022-02-13, 04:51:

I bought 30 44256 45 ns DIP RAM by accident. I meant to buy 10, but somehow the page refreshed or something and by the time I saw what happened, eh, I'll keep them. There's a few cards around here that can take advantage of them, worst case I'll sell any extras - if I can get even half of what they're going for on eBay, I'll more than cover my mistake.

Page 33 here... https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-E … /EN-1995-09.pdf ... use them to make zero wait state SIMMs 😁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42545 of 52693, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought the bottom half of a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT laptop to use for a restoration project for my Dell Latitude CP M166ST laptop. The M166ST was suffering from plastic damage on its palmrest and bottom casing, so I thought the donor D266XT would be perfect for replacing those parts. I'll include more details in a post on the Retro Activities thread.

Reply 42546 of 52693, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-13, 04:58:

Page 33 here... https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-E … /EN-1995-09.pdf ... use them to make zero wait state SIMMs 😁

Hmm.... the 60NS ones I have in the only system that I use work as 0 WS, but this link is definitely interesting. I'd need to go see if I have 256k x1 (I might have 64kx4 ones from an old video card) but at the very least, bookmakred for a read 😉

Reply 42547 of 52693, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might not need them, depending on the board you use, if parity can be turned off.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42548 of 52693, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was they were from germany and is NPX brand chips?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 42549 of 52693, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More stuff that arrived last week:
Sound Blaster 16 CT 2290. Not that I need one, but you don't reject a good deal on ISA-Soundcards 😉

SB16_CT2290.jpg
Filename
SB16_CT2290.jpg
File size
283.82 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Software.jpg
Filename
Software.jpg
File size
324.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And some software. Yes that's the ReelMagic-version of Dragon's Lair and unfortunately I don't have such a card. I don't know if I find one some day, but if so I want to have this game at hand. When I was a child I saw the archade machine and developed an emotional connection to the game 😁

Reply 42550 of 52693, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2022-02-13, 05:03:

I bought the bottom half of a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT laptop to use for a restoration project for my Dell Latitude CP M166ST laptop. The M166ST was suffering from plastic damage on its palmrest and bottom casing, so I thought the donor D266XT would be perfect for replacing those parts. I'll include more details in a post on the Retro Activities thread.

Hardly worth it. And 60ns 30pin SIMMs will work in 0ws mode in most systems using them.
Although 45ns may be possibly used in ISA video adapters to make them significantly faster (although I'm not sure if some other things wouldn't need to be modified as well).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 42551 of 52693, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-02-13, 19:49:

Was they were from germany and is NPX brand chips?

Cheers,

No idea, they'll come in in about a week or two. PM me if you're interested, I have either a graphics card to test them on, or a 386 😁

Reply 42552 of 52693, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrfusion92 wrote on 2022-02-12, 15:51:

I've got running every dos game i throwed it with no performance issues at all. Only Need for Speed crashes when a race is started (but I suspect I've bad files).

Isn't that a symptom of CIH virus?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 42553 of 52693, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received some stickers from Vath Ventures. It's expensive but I prefer to get some while we can.

2022-02-14 16.19.37.jpg
Filename
2022-02-14 16.19.37.jpg
File size
510.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

37$ including shipping to Europe

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 42555 of 52693, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting it to this hemisphere cost three times the value of the card, but now I have a Diamond SupraSonic II Shotgun modem. What in the hell do I want this dial-up modem for? I've been quietly working on a project since Cathode Ray Dude put up his 'Dialing Up At Home' video.

Attachments

• WP_20220214_008a.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20220214_008a.jpg
    File size
    296.8 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dual 56K, baby
    File license
    Public domain

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 42556 of 52693, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well dual 33.6k unless you've got ISP 56k equipment to connect to at the other end. Still kinda cool though. I would have liked to revisit diallup, but the local state of the copper lines was getting so bad that VoIP was actually an improvement when we ditched the real landline a decade back.

Reply 42557 of 52693, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NyLan wrote on 2022-02-14, 15:58:

Received some stickers from Vath Ventures. It's expensive but I prefer to get some while we can.

2022-02-14 16.19.37.jpg

37$ including shipping to Europe

Don't forget about the "Case Badge Thread" here at Vogons. If you have a good printer and quality adhesive sheets, you're golden.

Reply 42558 of 52693, by Megantonneke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am delighted as I was able to acquire this 486 VLB system on a Dutch auction site. I recognized it as a Planhold Powerstation VL4 system,
built by one of the best clone builders in the Netherlands during the '90s, called Planhold in Amsterdam. Good quality components but for a hefty price in those days.
I owned a 486DX2 66Mhz version of such a system, so this listing piqued my interest.

IMG_20220214_120018_2-scaled.jpg

I offered a fair amount for this 2nd hand system, especially in view of the lack of information and bad image quality of the photos in the listing. But the seller
wanted more. The guy that sold the system was clearly not a hardware guy. When I asked him about the internals, he only replied with "There is not much to tell, the
floppy drives are Panasonic". But some extra photo's tempted me to offer a bit more and got the deal done.

So what have we got so far, a system in working order with:

- ADVANCED INTEGRATED RESEARCH, INC. 486SH VLB motherboard, with a barrel battery but no leakage (yet).
- Intel 486DX 33 Mhz (I think I go and find myself a 486DX2 66Mhz replacement)
- 4Mb RAM
- Diamond SpeedStar pro VLB graphics card
- CT2290 Soundblaster 16
- WD 220 Mb Harddrive
- 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppy Panasonic
- 4x cd-rom drive
- The very distinctive Micronics AT Case with the drives and power button behind a door with a tinted plexiglass feature. (Needs some RetroBriting)
It also has a red/green LED Mhz indicator in the top part behind the tinted plexiglass.
- The original Focus FK-8000 KeyCal keyboard
- MAG DX15F monitor (cheaper than those ETC and NEC monitors that Planhold sold with their system)
- Microsoft serial mouse.

A box full of original software with disks.

Just for fun: The original ad of this system from 1993 https://archive.org/details/computertotaal-19 … L4&view=theater

Reply 42559 of 52693, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-13, 04:58:

Good read, thank you - although I was able to find one glaring mistake in the article:
Both 386SX and 486SX computers require pairs of boards for memory expansion because their system data buses are 16 bits wide.

That and I'd have to make my own PCBs. I think I have dealt with home made 256k SIMMS in the past, the end result was rather home-made-ish.