VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 95/98 games you never get tired of?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 71, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, I do recall fondly having spent tens of hours playing NFS2SE on my Win98 SE setup with Voodoo3. The 3dfx edition looked really nice. After beating the competition, I recall spending most of the time trying to set track records with the bonus car "FZR 2000".

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 41 of 71, by s997863

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me this would be a list of games with the most single-player replayability ever:
1. Alpha Centauri. (feed my OCD you addictive time sink)
2. XCom ufo defense. (gold edition ran so smooth & fine on Pentium-3 & win98)
3. Baldur's Gate 1. (No TotSC expansion)
4. Unreal Tournament 99.
5. Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries.
6. Doom 1. (maybe with mods like SmoothDoom, which IMHO is the only experience better than the original)
7. Deus Ex.
8. Outcast.
9. Jedi Outcast. (it ran ok on win98, but honestly I just play it on a newer PC for fast loading & FPS).

Reply 42 of 71, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Drittz wrote on 2020-10-21, 14:15:
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-10-21, 06:59:

UT99 with bots.

Facing Worlds/low gravity is probably the one map I’ve played the most in the last 20 years

Lately I’ve been hooked on playing UT with the MultiCTF mod and CTFM-Face4 map, incredibly addictive! Nothing like playing it on a CRT for zero lag as well.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 43 of 71, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen a boatload of DOS games in these lists but I'll try to resist and name only Win9x titles.

- Half-Life
- Planescape Torment
- Baldur's Gate
- The Curse of Monkey Island (MI3)

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 44 of 71, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I quite literally play through Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 every few weeks. As of recent it's been on my modern computers thanks to the graphics fix and LOD mods, but I also use my 98SE machine from time to time.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 45 of 71, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Diablo / Diablo II
Doom95
Dungeon Keeper Direct 3D
Dungeon Keeper II
Risk II
Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego? (by Broderbund)
Caesar III
Sim City 3000
Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption
Monopoly
Stratego
Neverwinter Knights
Rollercoaster Tycoon

So many fun games!

A (mostly accurate) listing of my computer systems: http://www.shelteringoak.com/OzzNet/

Reply 46 of 71, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gca wrote on 2020-10-23, 17:33:
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-23, 16:16:

I'm so lame that I only started playing it on Vista. Now 10 years later and on Windows 7 I'm still stuck half-way through the Brood War campaign...

Just wait until you hit Omega (very last level in Broodwar) then the struggle really begins. Took me an age to get through that one.

Finally finished it yesterday. Took ages too. I am such a terrible player that I cannot get over being a one-trick pony (all air). I insisted that I must use Guardian/Devourer (with Mutalisk support) combos to destroy all opponents. Well, that requires tons of time and resources. There is plenty of resources on the map, but depending on how you choose to progress and where you want to build your expansions, the AI can either go berserk on you, or leave you pretty much alone. I didn't realize that at first. When I did, and chose the right paths (not necessarily go for the closest / most resource-rich points first), the map became much less stressful.

And you know what? Now I'm tired of that game. 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 48 of 71, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
1541 wrote on 2020-10-20, 20:37:

Civilization 2

This!

Among many others also mentioned here. 😀

I played Civ 2 for so many years that I was even party to the point at which Intel's license with Microsoft expired for the OS-bundled video codec that was needed to play back the small video cinematics. Luckily there is a download available to reinstall them to restore it.

One game I often return to which I haven't seen listed yet is Black & White.

Reply 51 of 71, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2022-01-17, 05:12:

Quake. Just firing up that first level makes me want to play the whole thing through again.

Quake for sure. Doom and duke nukem as wel. Though Id also add in Leisure suit larry 7 . There are really far too many to list. I'm playing Jedi knight 2 again and am loving it.

Reply 53 of 71, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge, Tiberian Sun with Firestorm, MechWarrior 3 and Pirates moon, Battle for Middle Earth and Battle for Middle Earth II and System Shock 2.

There are dozens more but these few I replay when I get the chance to.

Edit - I thankfully own the physical copies of BFME and BFME II, you cant buy them anymore and Origin cant sell them.

Reply 55 of 71, by Forcery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Diablo2

Forcery is a full-service digital transformation advisory, implementation and managed services agency, specializing in marketing technology, Salesforce CRM and Pardot marketing automation in NYC.

Reply 57 of 71, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the LucasArts titles. That was the Golden Age of Star Wars games, with X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing VS TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight/Mysteries of The Sith, Rebellion, Force Commander, and then, X-Wing Alliance in 1999. Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy were great too, but there was just something special about those earlier LucasArts titles.

Reply 58 of 71, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really special, other than Lucasarts cobbling together as many safe bets they can for their Win95 lineup with only very few of non-Star Wars exceptions around the time of the Special Edition release / pre-prequel hype.

RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-02-19, 18:59:

Force Commander, and then, X-Wing Alliance in 1999.

Force Commander was delayed massively and finally came out when LucasArts were all in on the second round of Ep. I games. XWA was about a year old by then!

Last edited by leileilol on 2022-02-20, 02:22. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem