VOGONS

Reply 100 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2022-02-20, 02:29:
Although slightly risky, CBROM should do that considering your bios is Award. […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-01-26, 07:12:

oh BTW, here is this 😁

this is pulled from the bios. if someone can figure out how to put it in the new bios that would be cool

Although slightly risky, CBROM should do that considering your bios is Award.

And if my memory serves me right... it was something along the lines of "cbrom biosfile.bin /logo yourlogo.bmp".

Not very sure of this as it's WAY long since I last tinkered with Award BIOS to that extent and that was already in the P4 era (with a ASUS P4P800-VM that took a beating almost daily from the amount of BIOS chips I was testing on it lmao)

EDIT: Here's a link from Supermicro (yes, they apparently tell you how to replace your BIOS logo with whatever you want!) that explains the procedure:

https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/data_ … hange_steps.doc

Disregard the OSB steps as you don't need them on your BIOS (it predates the OSB stuff by quite a few years at this point)
(FYI the OSB logos used in newer Award BIOS are basically those small Intel logos that show up in a square, black or white, during POST. These were also used in the P4 era to show what CPU you were running.)

it doesn't seem to be working for me I put in the command and it just lists commands that I can use

here is everything I have, I'm gonna try a few more times but then gotta run. if you wanna take a crack at it,

I'm also uploading this for anyone who wants both of the latest bioses for these boards, with any luck here in a few they will have the logo again! and there will be a new version!

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 101 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Freeway motherboard bios mods

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 102 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: The coolest socket 7 motherboard that you’ve never heard of

These boards seem to use the same clock gen,
The (non ultra and the ultra)

I’m gonna try some overclocking

The 112mhz setting doesn’t seem to be working I thought I had tried this setting when I first got it and it had worked, maybe I am mistaken.

It seems I will have to try setting from bios.

I went through and counted in binary each setting on the dip for the clock gen. Several combinations got me 300mhz including the 112mhz setting that worked on non ultra (I’m set to 3x btw) but none of them got me over 300.

So now, on to the bios..

Okay, so after a bios reset the 112mhz setting is working now.

Whenever I try setting a mhz setting via bios it doesn’t want to post. Even if I set fsb to 66 via the dip switches, and go in and set fsb to 95mhz it will fail to post. Idk what’s up with this, any thoughts? Maybe I need to reset bios each time? I had this issue on the non ultra also. Idk why these settings are there if they do nothing.

Btw, have you noticed a few odd things about this bios, like how it has a option for audio, and that weird option for “assign” enabled or disabled it’s like this bios wasn’t designed for this board or something.

Anyway, 112mhz is working it seems. Running memtest now. (Set via dip, 1 on 2 on 3 on 4 on 8 off)

Any tips on how to try higher settings?

Okay, I’ve done some more playing around with the 112mhz setting.

It seems to be stable in memtest suggesting that cache is working….

I also noticed that performance of memory increased in memtest when I set the cpu/agp jumper to 1-2 (it was 2-3) which makes sense. The ram is probably at 112mhz now. Which is what I want.

Probably time to hop into windows and do some benchmarks…

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 103 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn’t get 112 stable. Seems to be something to do with the video card oddly memtest, and super pi are fine but 3d crashes.

Still haven’t been able to use the ti500 to work mainly because of needing to use dvi.

I got the system to complete a 3d mark run again. I had to got back to 100/600 and set cpu/agp jumper to 2-3

Pretty disappointed that the mobo basically won’t overclock at all. Just like the non ultra.

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Edit: at 100 setting I have tried the bios option again and it worked! 616mhz now to see if it’s stable. Same thing, crashes in 3d

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 104 of 177, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-24, 06:24:
I couldn’t get 112 stable. Seems to be something to do with the video card oddly memtest, and super pi are fine but 3d crashes. […]
Show full quote

I couldn’t get 112 stable. Seems to be something to do with the video card oddly memtest, and super pi are fine but 3d crashes.

Still haven’t been able to use the ti500 to work mainly because of needing to use dvi.

I got the system to complete a 3d mark run again. I had to got back to 100/600 and set cpu/agp jumper to 2-3

Pretty disappointed that the mobo basically won’t overclock at all. Just like the non ultra.image.jpg

Edit: at 100 setting I have tried the bios option again and it worked! 616mhz now to see if it’s stable. Same thing, crashes in 3d

You're not going to have a good time with XP on socket 7. XP and 2k both implement the agp slot differently then 98. One of the main reasons the ati rage furry maxx does work.

Reply 105 of 177, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
supercordo wrote on 2022-02-25, 17:26:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-24, 06:24:
I couldn’t get 112 stable. Seems to be something to do with the video card oddly memtest, and super pi are fine but 3d crashes. […]
Show full quote

Pretty disappointed that the mobo basically won’t overclock at all. Just like the non ultra.image.jpg

You're not going to have a good time with XP on socket 7. XP and 2k both implement the agp slot differently then 98. One of the main reasons the ati rage furry maxx does work.

Its less that XP and 2k implement it differently, and more the SS7 platform is notorious for having shitty AGP implementations, mostly due to it being a new slot/bus and fabs taking shortcuts and faking parts of the AGP spec to meet cert. XP and 2k are expecting a correct implementation at the hardware level and run as if thats the case . .98 however also being in the same era as SS7 doesnt give a damn how its implemented at hardware level and treats it like its a jacked up PCI slot. Which at 1x/2x AGP it actually is and most AGP cards of the era only ran at AGP 1x or PCI 66, the Voodoo 5 5500 is famous for this and it treats AGP as PCI 66.

So 98 is more tolerant of shit AGP implementation XP and 2k are not amused but such fuckery and will not like it at all, so running 98 on SS7 is good advice, Xp and 2k should be ok on late model SS7 boards which will have better AGP implementation.

Reply 106 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quote from pm.

[quote=Sphere478 msg_id=148519 time=1645744811 user_id=45320]
I think there may be corruption in the bios, there is a option that is displayed oddly and there is a sound card setting present but the board doesn’t have that. Can you confirm?
[/quote]

Hi Sphere,

Yes, I also see a truncated "Assign" option in the PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION menu, just above the Assign IRQ For VGA : option.
Assign what? ;)
This is the "Assign IRQ For USB :" option and is Enabled by default. This option should only be Disabled if you don't use the USB ports and need to have a free IRQ for another device.

I did find the original 5VGFUD5 BIOS in the meantime. It is identical to yours, so this corruption is not only on your Ultra but is in the original Freeway D5 BIOS as well. Probably a typo from a BIOS engineer. Unfortunately, I have no way of fixing this.

The sound card settings in this BIOS are as expected and should work. The souncard is buid-in the 686A south-bridge! :)

Cheers, Jan

Oh wow, so is that what the header at the bottom is for?

The option for usb 2 is that for two more ports or usb 2.0 because I can’t seem to locate a second header

If you have run across more versions of the bioses for this board, can you upload them here and in ultimate retro? 😀 thanks!!! You rock as always!!

Oh one more thing, does anyone have an idea what this jumper does?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 107 of 177, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-25, 20:42:
Quote from pm. […]
Show full quote

Quote from pm.

I think there may be corruption in the bios, there is a option that is displayed oddly and there is a sound card setting present but the board doesn’t have that. Can you confirm?
[/quote]

Hi Sphere,

Yes, I also see a truncated "Assign" option in the PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION menu, just above the Assign IRQ For VGA : option.
Assign what? ;)
This is the "Assign IRQ For USB :" option and is Enabled by default. This option should only be Disabled if you don't use the USB ports and need to have a free IRQ for another device.

I did find the original 5VGFUD5 BIOS in the meantime. It is identical to yours, so this corruption is not only on your Ultra but is in the original Freeway D5 BIOS as well. Probably a typo from a BIOS engineer. Unfortunately, I have no way of fixing this.

The sound card settings in this BIOS are as expected and should work. The souncard is buid-in the 686A south-bridge! :)

Cheers, Jan

The option for usb 2 is that for two more ports or usb 2.0 because I can’t seem to locate a second header

If you have run across more versions of the bioses for this board, can you upload them here and in ultimate retro? 😀 thanks!!! You rock as always!!

See picture.

Attachments

Reply 108 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
supercordo wrote on 2022-02-27, 18:43:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-25, 20:42:
Quote from pm. […]
Show full quote

Quote from pm.

[/quote]

Hi Sphere,

Assign what? ;)

Cheers, Jan

See picture.

I see references to jp3 but they aren’t dipected in the pictures. I can’t read Japanese.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 109 of 177, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-27, 21:05:

I see references to jp3 but they aren’t dipected in the pictures. I can’t read Japanese.

"Chapter 4: Hardware Settings"

"Table of CPU Vcore settings with JP3 and SW2"

"CPU Vcore is set by combinations of JP3 and SW2. With JP3 shorted, the voltage can be set between 1.30V to 2.05V; with JP3 opened, the voltage can be set between 2.1V to 3.5V."

Upper half: "JP3 ショートの場合" = "JP3 shorted"

Lower half: "JP3 オーペンの場合" = "JP3 opened"

Reply 110 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2022-02-27, 21:23:
"Chapter 4: Hardware Settings" […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-27, 21:05:

"Chapter 4: Hardware Settings"

"Table of CPU Vcore settings with JP3 and SW2"

"CPU Vcore is set by combinations of JP3 and SW2. With JP3 shorted, the voltage can be set between 1.30V to 2.05V; with JP3 opened, the voltage can be set between 2.1V to 3.5V."

Upper half: "JP3 ショートの場合" = "JP3 shorted"

Lower half: "JP3 オーペンの場合" = "JP3 opened"

You rock! Thanks! That makes sense now.

This is really cool. The non ultra doesn’t have this.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 112 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you walk through what settings you are using in bios and on mobo to get that?

Have you replaced your caps?

I’ve never been able to get the clock setting in the bios to work for me

So is this card/driver combo working only for 3dm2000 or does it actually show gains in games also?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 113 of 177, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:08:
Can you walk through what settings you are using in bios and on mobo to get that? […]
Show full quote

Can you walk through what settings you are using in bios and on mobo to get that?

So is this card/driver combo working only for 3dm2000 or does it actually show gains in games also?

I'd imagine that would depend on the game. When benchmarking with my GeForce 3 Ti 200 I'll get my highest score in 3D 2000 with the 7.76 driver, but the score in 3D 2001 tanks. Using a later driver increases the performance of 2001, but the 2000 score drops dramatically.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 114 of 177, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Can you walk through what settings you are using in bios and on mobo to get that? […]
Show full quote

I don't want to rob you of your own experience of tinkering by just giving you the settings i used. Thats the fun part.

Reply 115 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
supercordo wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:43:
Show full quote

I don't want to rob you of your own experience of tinkering by just giving you the settings i used. Thats the fun part.

None of the settings I’ve tried I don’t think have ever given me more than 112

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 116 of 177, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-19, 20:38:
I’m starting a new build using this beauty of a motherboard made by freeway […]
Show full quote

I’m starting a new build using this beauty of a motherboard made by freeway

I’ll use this thread as a build log

Here is some info on it from Jan

This TI5VGF board is made by TMC, but is also marketed by Freeway, a Japanese Company. I have good reports about the Ver. 1.00 b […]
Show full quote

This TI5VGF board is made by TMC, but is also marketed by Freeway, a Japanese Company.
I have good reports about the Ver. 1.00 board, running a K6-2+/500 at stock speed without problems.

The standard TI5VGF board came with 1MB cache, but there were boards with an optional 2MB cache. I believe the extra 1MB cache was soldered at the back side of the board!??

About the BIOS, note that the E2, E3, E4, and E5 BIOS revisions don’t support the K6plus CPUs.
However, Freeway made a rev. H7 beta BIOS that fully supports the K6-2+/-III+ and HDDs up to 128GB!
You can download this –H7- BIOS from my K6plus page at:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

When flashing the –H7- BIOS, you may get the "The program file's part number does not match with your system" message. This is caused by the difference in BIOS-ID with your present BIOS. The Ti5vgfe2/3/4/5 BIOSes have a 2A5LEM2LC ID and the Ti5vgfh7 beta BIOS has 2A5LEM2PC. This one letter difference triggers this message.
Just force the flash with /py switch like:
Awdflash TI5VGFH7.BIN /Py

Manual:

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-20, 00:59:

Did you notice the manual for your board layout is listed here - https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Tmc%20 … al/ti5vgf10.pdf

That is one dank looking motherboard.

Reply 117 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-05-24, 06:03:
Show full quote

This TI5VGF board is made by TMC, but is also marketed by Freeway, a Japanese Company. I have good reports about the Ver. 1.00 b […]
Show full quote

This TI5VGF board is made by TMC, but is also marketed by Freeway, a Japanese Company.
I have good reports about the Ver. 1.00 board, running a K6-2+/500 at stock speed without problems.

The standard TI5VGF board came with 1MB cache, but there were boards with an optional 2MB cache. I believe the extra 1MB cache was soldered at the back side of the board!??

About the BIOS, note that the E2, E3, E4, and E5 BIOS revisions don’t support the K6plus CPUs.
However, Freeway made a rev. H7 beta BIOS that fully supports the K6-2+/-III+ and HDDs up to 128GB!
You can download this –H7- BIOS from my K6plus page at:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

When flashing the –H7- BIOS, you may get the "The program file's part number does not match with your system" message. This is caused by the difference in BIOS-ID with your present BIOS. The Ti5vgfe2/3/4/5 BIOSes have a 2A5LEM2LC ID and the Ti5vgfh7 beta BIOS has 2A5LEM2PC. This one letter difference triggers this message.
Just force the flash with /py switch like:
Awdflash TI5VGFH7.BIN /Py

Manual:

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-20, 00:59:

Did you notice the manual for your board layout is listed here - https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Tmc%20 … al/ti5vgf10.pdf

Dank means bad… you take that back!! Lol

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 118 of 177, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-24, 06:25:
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-05-24, 06:03:
Show full quote

Manual:

Dank means bad… you take that back!! Lol

No offence, but it has no ISA, therefore "red man bad".

Reply 119 of 177, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haha

It does seem like a missed opportunity not putting one at the bottom. It could have kept the last pci also

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-