rasteri wrote on 2022-02-24, 14:57:
Or if you want to try getting the SST flash to work, maybe the SD card resistors are the reason the SST flash isn't appearing as an IDE device. Maybe remove them and the SST flash will appear in BIOS.
I literally just got done putting them back on, 🤣. Allright, well, go big or go home.
Our options basically look like, atm:
1) Desolder SST flash, chuck it in the trash (pros: don't have to buy new SOMS, cons: could destroy the SOM, edit: could be other things needing changed to disable SST Flash)
2) See if SST flash shows up in BIOS by desoldering SD card circuit (pros: new data point, could help with verification, cons: I'm lazy and don't wanna wreck what I just redid)
3) Buy VINE1s and return what I have currently (cross fingers they'll accept returns) (pros: get right stuff that will work, cons: may not accept returns (mitigate: sell on eBay to recoup))
4) Wait for someone to rewire SD card to slave and get new PCBs made (pros: nice board, cons: will have to wait, someone may not do this, new PCB cost, PCBs need rebuilt/moved /w some components not being able to be moved thus cost for new components) -- thinking this isn't a good option right out of the gate, so chucking
5) Cut pad connectors on primary IDE master and manually bridge over to slave (pros: could work?, cons: janky and unprofessional, may not even work)
I am thinking that with the above options, desoldering the SST would at least help us see if that is the bottleneck, but maybe I could do that on a separate 256MB DDR2 SOM that I have (which has the 512 MB SST Flash) to just have this beefy 2GB SST available for further testing / modification, and if I f* it up then it's at least on the cheaper SOM. Maybe will be able to do #5 since this first board was meant for myself. In which case #2 may help further isolate the issue.
Ultimately I think that I will attempt to return 4 of the 256MB DDR2 /w 512 MB SST modules (once I hear back from DSL), I'll desolder the SST from one of those that I have for testing, and then I'll do #2 to further verify if there is a way to talk to the SST flash. Ultimately I will probably see about #5, but with that...
It is my understanding that there are two SPI buses on the SOM, one marked Internal and one marked External. I am assuming that even if we were to put the SD card on Primary Slave, doesn't the SD card work as SPI anyways? So we wouldn't really be gaining anything in such case, if it gets wired to the same SPI bus as what the SST is using?