VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spotted this on eBay and it gave me a laugh. Something like this would be pretty useful though for a test rig or if you didn't have enough desk space for speakers. I wonder how it connects to the sound card?

The tiny subwoofer is adorable.

Screenshot_20220311-102646_eBay.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20220311-102646_eBay.jpg
File size
64.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Screenshot_20220311-103416_eBay.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20220311-103416_eBay.jpg
File size
157.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 13, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats not a subwoofer, those are minute stereo speaker with an orifice mimicking a bass reflex system.

They are bound to sound like a dying mouse in any case, but the idea of 5.25 bay speakers has been around for a while.
For some it might have been the WAF on the table, maybe.

The input, well, silly far eastern accessory manufacturers were never above providing a simple bracket for externally looping the input, like a 3.5 mm plug in this case.

But many legacy sound cards before the whole SB live-era front panel craze had internal connectors for that purpose. Some in the form of simple dupont headers right behind the backpanel connectors.
Like some Aztech cards:
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/azt … r_pro_32-3d.jpg

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 13, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hate to say this but that is actually a "subwoofer". Also common port for stereo speakers would be just stupid.
http://standardtelephone.com/gigagon/et/accspk.htm
You can even rotate it 😁

There are also modern models f.ex. here https://www.quietpc.com/kama-bay-speaker-ace-bl

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 6 of 13, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fool wrote on 2022-03-11, 18:17:

I hate to say this but that is actually a "subwoofer". Also common port for stereo speakers would be just stupid.

Good news then, it not really is a subwoofer as a pair of tiny stereo speakers AND a slightly less tiny one, dubbed a subwoofer. It's a complete 2.1 speaker system in a 5.25" drive bay, somebody slap me!
No, there isn't going to come any "stereo" sound out of these that deserves the term. 😁

Thanks for that link. Awesome!

I like jumpers.

Reply 8 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid of such things...
Speakers have magnets, and it's not a good idea to place a HDD right next to a magnet 😜

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 9 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2022-03-12, 11:31:

Speakers have magnets, and it's not a good idea to place a HDD right next to a magnet 😜

You mean the super powerful neodymium magnet that all HDDS have in them ?

Like its part of the drive assembly.

Trust me the magnets on them speakers are not anywhere close enough to do any damage to the HDD nor are they powerful enough, what you need is a huge electromagnet with an oscillating magnetic field to do any damage to the drive.

Say the kind that you could rig around a door frame and is connected to a 240v power supply or the kind you have at air ports ..which is also ac powered.

I would actually be more worried about it being near the floppy drive, floppy disks are more sensitive to magnets than a HDD is.

Reply 11 of 13, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-03-12, 12:47:

Looks like you still have 2 empty drive bays so why not add a monitor too?

I love this joke, because I actually get the reference.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-12, 12:18:
You mean the super powerful neodymium magnet that all HDDS have in them ? […]
Show full quote

Trust me the magnets on them speakers are not anywhere close enough to do any damage to the HDD nor are they powerful enough, what you need is a huge electromagnet with an oscillating magnetic field to do any damage to the drive.

I remember watching an Apple documentary where an engineer was talking about how they had to modify the audio software so that the speakers wouldn't make certain sounds or frequencies or something because they positioned the internal speaker too close to the hard drive. He said something like, "it would beep and then it would crash."

He couldn't believe what they were asking him to do, all in the name of design, because they didn't want to change anything about the case that would impact their design.

Reply 12 of 13, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The link claims that the speakers are magnetically shielded though ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 13 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-12, 14:17:
I love this joke, because I actually get the reference. […]
Show full quote
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-03-12, 12:47:

Looks like you still have 2 empty drive bays so why not add a monitor too?

I love this joke, because I actually get the reference.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-12, 12:18:
You mean the super powerful neodymium magnet that all HDDS have in them ? […]
Show full quote

I remember watching an Apple documentary where an engineer was talking about how they had to modify the audio software so that the speakers wouldn't make certain sounds or frequencies or something because they positioned the internal speaker too close to the hard drive. He said something like, "it would beep and then it would crash."

He couldn't believe what they were asking him to do, all in the name of design, because they didn't want to change anything about the case that would impact their design.

Likely it was causing the controller on the HDD to reset the PC but the HDD platters should have been perfectly ok, the HDD case does provide a good amount of magnetic shielding, the Controller board on the bottom has no such protection and neither do the IDE cables. Running a magnet up and down an IDE cable while the drive is recording data is a great way to geta drive full of junk data.