VOGONS

Reply 3620 of 4600, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-01, 01:48:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-01, 01:33:

Yeah, but I'd totally download a car.

Well the voice told me on 500 different occasions that You Wouldn't. So it's your word against theirs.

Well now... what is it, "Don't copy that floppy!" or "You wouldn't download a car, would you?". They have to pick one, can't have both 😁.

Reply 3621 of 4600, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My work around for saving hardware from recycles is swap it out for something else.
Works better in an office environment then an actual recycle center but have done it once or twice. the electronics I'm dropping off is the excuse to go over to the ewaste section. and as long as the workers are bust somewhere else or you don't make a big fuss most the time they don't care enough to say anything.
I also let my kid out despite the big signs saying no children outside cars. I loved going to the dump as a kid, think its wrong they are trying to deny my kids the same experience.
No one has come up and said anything about that either and a excited 5yo is much more noticeable then a adult carrying something BACK to his car

Reply 3622 of 4600, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I made the mistake I always do and never learn from it. A couple of days ago at work we were told that another section of our company gets our basement and we move to another basement, take anything that's usable to the new basement and take out the trash. So I "took out the trash".

IMG_20220401_154741.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220401_154741.jpg
File size
1.78 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2×18.2GB SCSI hard drive
2×73GB SCSI hard drive
Some SCSI adapters and terminators
2×3.5" floppy drive, one with a 5.25>3.5" adapter
1×5.25" floppy drive from an industrial machine, probably not PC compatible
1×SCSI DAT drive
1×SCSI DLT drive
1×44pin IDE CD drive
1×SCSI DVD rrive
1×5.25>3,5" internal drive adaptor

IMG_20220401_154752.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220401_154752.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

SUN SCSI external hard drive
SUN SCSI DLR-5 drive - the case can probably take an optical drive
5×DLT cassettes

Some cables. One is a VGA>DVI cable, the rest is mostly for external SCSI devices. There are another bunch of cables, mostly SCSI, as well as a SYm22802 SCSI controller and a CPU from a SUN server without it's heatsinks.

IMG_20220401_154817.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220401_154817.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220401_154827.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220401_154827.jpg
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220401_154847.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220401_154847.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And I'm out of storage space again.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3623 of 4600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2022-04-01, 09:26:
My work around for saving hardware from recycles is swap it out for something else. Works better in an office environment then a […]
Show full quote

My work around for saving hardware from recycles is swap it out for something else.
Works better in an office environment then an actual recycle center but have done it once or twice. the electronics I'm dropping off is the excuse to go over to the ewaste section. and as long as the workers are bust somewhere else or you don't make a big fuss most the time they don't care enough to say anything.
I also let my kid out despite the big signs saying no children outside cars. I loved going to the dump as a kid, think its wrong they are trying to deny my kids the same experience.
No one has come up and said anything about that either and a excited 5yo is much more noticeable then a adult carrying something BACK to his car

Some areas in the UK the dumping station was an array of skips (dumpsters) for various categories, and the workers would fish out anything looking half decent and have them arrayed near the office area for sale for a quid or two.

Peel region in Ontario runs it a bit like that too, but has actual thrift stores they sell through.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3625 of 4600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-01, 14:31:
Today I made the mistake I always do and never learn from it. A couple of days ago at work we were told that another section of […]
Show full quote

Today I made the mistake I always do and never learn from it. A couple of days ago at work we were told that another section of our company gets our basement and we move to another basement, take anything that's usable to the new basement and take out the trash. So I "took out the trash".

IMG_20220401_154741.jpg
2×18.2GB SCSI hard drive
2×73GB SCSI hard drive
Some SCSI adapters and terminators
2×3.5" floppy drive, one with a 5.25>3.5" adapter
1×5.25" floppy drive from an industrial machine, probably not PC compatible
1×SCSI DAT drive
1×SCSI DLT drive
1×44pin IDE CD drive
1×SCSI DVD rrive
1×5.25>3,5" internal drive adaptor

IMG_20220401_154752.jpg
SUN SCSI external hard drive
SUN SCSI DLR-5 drive - the case can probably take an optical drive
5×DLT cassettes

Some cables. One is a VGA>DVI cable, the rest is mostly for external SCSI devices. There are another bunch of cables, mostly SCSI, as well as a SYm22802 SCSI controller and a CPU from a SUN server without it's heatsinks.
IMG_20220401_154817.jpg IMG_20220401_154827.jpg IMG_20220401_154847.jpg

Cool, almost got enough SCSI stuff to have a good SCSI setup...

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-02, 21:14:
SCSI in 4 easy steps... […]
Show full quote

SCSI in 4 easy steps...

Step 1: Own a number, n, boxes of SCSI bits, cables, drives, terminators, interface cards, adapters.
Step 2: Determine that the number of boxes of of SCSI stuff you have to go through testing everything that plugs into anything else to get a complete SCSI setup is n+1
Step 3: Acquire additional box lots of SCSI equipment, cables etc.
Step 4: Go to Step 1.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3626 of 4600, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That DVI port looks like the weird non-standard DVI port on my...PA-RISC box? Pretty sure it's the PA-RISC box. Pin wise it's standard DVI but the shell is more angular and so a standard DVI to whatever adapter doesn't fit without forceful modification.

In fact, I see a HP logo on the cable so it probably came from a similar machine to my J5000 workstation...

Reply 3627 of 4600, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At our site, it is possible to leave stuff at a place where you donate it to be sold in the recycling shop. Every computer, as in EVERY I've seen for sale has a "no hard-drive" sticker on. I really think it comes down to that you need too be ensured that no one gets access to your personal data, when you leave your stuff there ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3628 of 4600, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2022-04-01, 19:20:

That DVI port looks like the weird non-standard DVI port on my...PA-RISC box? Pretty sure it's the PA-RISC box. Pin wise it's standard DVI but the shell is more angular and so a standard DVI to whatever adapter doesn't fit without forceful modification.

In fact, I see a HP logo on the cable so it probably came from a similar machine to my J5000 workstation...

Now that you mentioned I checked and you are right. The "DVI" part is about 5mm longer on top of being more angular. I'd need a lot of force to modify it.

Reply 3629 of 4600, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-01, 20:00:

Now that you mentioned I checked and you are right. The "DVI" part is about 5mm longer on top of being more angular. I'd need a lot of force to modify it.

Ooooor we could do a deal and I could have that cable for my PA-RISC box...

Reply 3630 of 4600, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2022-04-01, 22:05:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-01, 20:00:

Ooooor we could do a deal and I could have that cable for my PA-RISC box...

You could take it for free, but the shipping prices are insane from here to the US. Once I sold a book and the cheapest option would have been something like $40.

Reply 3632 of 4600, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-03-31, 18:39:

Really? I never considered them to be all that rare. I have 3 and just got a 4th one though that 4th is a little on the weird side. It's from an industrial machine and the data cable connector is a little different.

They were pretty common, a LOT more common than for instance Voodoo cards.
But these drives were thrown out much sooner and much fewer of them ended up being saved. They are pretty bulky, harder to stack and reached obsolesce much sooner than optical drives because 3.5in FDDs were also a thing. And I reckon most people didn't bother saving them 'because this is a mass produced product and these will never run out and will never become rare! 😀 😀 😀'.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3633 of 4600, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lost this little thing out of sight

a SMART in364tcsp83yg15 COAST module

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3634 of 4600, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like a P&D connector https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Plug_and_Display
It's 3*10 pins and not 3*8 what DVI essentially is.

It's definitely not 100% standard DVI though. Interesting.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3635 of 4600, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A friend gave me a bunch of stuff from a small computer repair shop they used to run.

First thing I have fixed is this mid 2012 Macbook Pro. It wouldn't power on at all. Somebody had ground down the magsafe plug area and tried to use one of the wider magsafe power adapters which of course didn't work.
First thing I bought was a correct power adapter. That didn't fix it so I bought a replacement DC jack and it came to life 😀

It already had a 500GB SSD in it which was nice. Weird thing is that it had Windows 10 installed. I wiped it and put MacOS back on.

I also upgraded it from 4GB DDR3-1066 to the max 16GB DDR3-1600.

It was missing the drive bracket, drive screws and back cover screws so I bought those as well. Somebody had actually used scotch tape multiple times to hold the back cover on and I had a not so fun time cleaning all that off. Lemon essential oil aided in that quite a lot.

After cleaning it all up it looks pretty nice and will be the first Apple computer that I have kept.

MacBook_Pro_Mid-2012.jpg
Filename
MacBook_Pro_Mid-2012.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3636 of 4600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-02, 15:12:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-03-31, 18:39:

Really? I never considered them to be all that rare. I have 3 and just got a 4th one though that 4th is a little on the weird side. It's from an industrial machine and the data cable connector is a little different.

They were pretty common, a LOT more common than for instance Voodoo cards.
But these drives were thrown out much sooner and much fewer of them ended up being saved. They are pretty bulky, harder to stack and reached obsolesce much sooner than optical drives because 3.5in FDDs were also a thing. And I reckon most people didn't bother saving them 'because this is a mass produced product and these will never run out and will never become rare! 😀 😀 😀'.

5.25 maintained high market penetration and high popularity in some areas more than others. I think for example in Germany MS were actually debating whether to put Windows 95 on 1.2MB 5.25 it was so popular, whereas in UK 3.5 adoption was strong enough I don't even think they had later UK versions of 3.x on 5.25

Reply 3637 of 4600, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw lots of furniture with some smaller items at our oversized trash pickup last night. No desktop or laptop this time, but I picked up two smartphones: a G-PLUS E7 mini and an InFocus M511. Neither has a microSD inside and the E7 mini is completely bricked, but the M511 is quite clean and, after an overnight charging it comes back alive, albeit with a "striped" screen. The screen is locked so I gave it a hard reset via the engineering mode.

Even by the standard of 2014, the spec of M511 was really low-end with just 1GB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage (my contemporary LG G2 had 2 and 16, respectively) but it came with 4G LTE, BT, NFC, USB OTG, and FM radio, enough for many elderly users who needed only a free phone with a prepaid carrier plan.

Reply 3638 of 4600, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First world problems, eh? I have more stuff than I can ever use (or store properly in my 1 bed house), but still can't resist getting stuff off Freecycle. It's an addiction, and it's getting worse 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3639 of 4600, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-03, 03:25:

First world problems, eh? I have more stuff than I can ever use (or store properly in my 1 bed house), but still can't resist getting stuff off Freecycle. It's an addiction, and it's getting worse 😀

Oh, I already had plenty of stuff I have no room to store. It's just getting worse.