VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It includes the source to both the original PSX game as well as its Windows port (including ATI 3D CIF headers!)
Please note that it is currently unknown if these sources are fully buildable.

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/150 … 048268176990209

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 17, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2022-03-27, 20:46:

Please note that it is currently unknown if these sources are fully buildable.

seems to be buildable out of the box with some minor tweak in VS2019

see: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30821818

Reply 4 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-03-27, 20:49:

I wish someone would release the source for G-Police. That one would be fun to have revamped for modern systems, as it just needs the graphics code adjusted for today's D3D.

reminder that code leaks don't mean guaranteed sourceports. It's too legally toxic there. Every time leaks like these happen, there's always that "this will improve x" on the assumption that programmers will look at it and use it.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-04-06, 09:52:

Download isn't working, anyone has a mirror? I want to look at the incomplete Direct3D port that's apparently included.

It's on the internet archive

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-04-07, 00:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish someone would release the source for G-Police. That one would be fun to have revamped for modern systems, as it just needs the graphics code adjusted for today's D3D.

should work with dgvoodoo2

Reply 8 of 17, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2022-04-06, 14:12:

should work with dgvoodoo2

I think he wants a D3D11/12 remaster. In general, almost every known Windows game from 1995 can work on current systems with latest OS architectures.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 9 of 17, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want a game that works perfectly with today's DirectX. Many older games with 3D acceleration don't work due to deprecated/removed features and DirectX pipeline changes in the APIs and drivers and quite a few titles simply don't work because they don't support the widescreen resolutions used in today's systems, which is why I have a pile of the old LCD monitors, which I run off of the DVI port on my GPUs.

Reply 11 of 17, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-04-06, 10:23:
ZellSF wrote on 2022-04-06, 09:52:

Download isn't working, anyone has a mirror? I want to look at the incomplete Direct3D port that's apparently included.

It's on the internet archive

Thanks. Got it to build, but it's not working. This guy has more success:
https://twitter.com/3226_2143

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-04-07, 00:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-04-06, 16:11:

I want a game that works perfectly with today's DirectX. Many older games with 3D acceleration don't work due to deprecated/removed features and DirectX pipeline changes in the APIs and drivers and quite a few titles simply don't work because they don't support the widescreen resolutions used in today's systems, which is why I have a pile of the old LCD monitors, which I run off of the DVI port on my GPUs.

I am still happy with my Nvidia 10 series card which can pump resolutions as low as 320x200 and run games as old as MechWarrior 2 for Windows 95. You'll need workarounds to get games working though. robertmo mentioned about dgVoodoo2, then there's DDrawCompat, WineD3D, DxWnd which does more than DirectX, DDHack, you'll just have to bear and configure things properly to get things working. And always it's not DirectX, on my Nvidia card many things are already sorted out and the rest I look into are CPU scheduling, exceptions skipping/NOP, limiting memory, CDFS support, single core affinity, etc.

And as you asked for a game that works perfectly with today's DirectX, how old do you want? 1995? I got MechWarrior 2 working. 1996? NFS1 works in most cases, Jane's USNF, Interstate 76 does work. 1997? GTA 1, Frogger, NFS2, Mortal Kombat 4, etc. 1998: Half Life, NFS3, Jane's ATF, SpeedBusters, Rayman 2. There's a lot that works, but I don't have a list right now.

You can keep going on, but don't expect to get much from MS. Just a week ago, MechWarrior 2 for Win95 could run on fullscreen without any graphic emulation and now it complains that my GPU isn't able to support fullscreen. Although DxWnd's DirectX restored it again, it proves nothing is constant and you'll need to work on getting things to work.

For now I primarily use DDC or DxWnd but use dgVoodoo2 when some exotic feature is required such as Table Fog or pallettized textures or the former 2 don't work well.

Reply 13 of 17, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That seems like a bad assumption. I haven't run into any game that has a problem with widescreen monitors, what old games can object to is too many resolutions available, which gets more likely with higher resolution and higher refresh rate monitors.

Reply 14 of 17, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-04-08, 09:34:

That seems like a bad assumption. I haven't run into any game that has a problem with widescreen monitors, what old games can object to is too many resolutions available, which gets more likely with higher resolution and higher refresh rate monitors.

ACT has done a good job in limiting resolutions. For example, Frogger 2 has issues with running very high resolutions such as 1080p which gets suppressed by some ACT flag.

Reply 16 of 17, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-04-08, 10:22:

Still waiting for the obligatory Vulkan port 🤣

I'll be quite disappointed if the Witcher remaster if it comes for PC doesn't have Vulkan.

Reply 17 of 17, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-04-08, 10:22:

Still waiting for the obligatory Vulkan port 🤣

You'll be waiting a long while I think. No one's going to do a Vulkan port when there's an OpenGL port:
https://github.com/wipeout-phantom-edition/wi … phantom-edition