VOGONS

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I received today a gpu put it in my systemand i hear some strange like electro burning noise and i could smell something burned. So turned off the pc. Looked at the gpu and one capacitor is done. The gpu ran for around 10 seconds.

Shall i expect maybe some further damage on the gpu or changing the capacitor ( and also all of that type) would be enough?

The gpu didnt show any screen at that moment.

Attachments

Last edited by atom1kk on 2022-04-07, 15:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by AirIntake

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If that capacitor has gone bad then it's likely that all other similar capacitors on the GPU are bad or close to going bad too. Plan on recapping the entire GPU, but start with the blown one just in case it is the only one that went bad.

Casio BE-300 Advancement Society alumni

Reply 7 of 11, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Electrolytic caps can smell if they suddenly go pop. That is an unusual failure mode though. Did the seller advertise the card as working? Did it happen the very first time you tried it? If you inspect it does it look like there was any rework of the caps done already? What is the exact model of the card?

Reply 8 of 11, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The seller said it was ok. But it was only 17 euro incl shipping. He refunded me 10, so i ordered new capacitors. It happened immidiately as i started the pc. This one which broke was already bit arched, but i decided to try it out. Had many other cards where it wasnt a problem.

The card is a GF3 Ti 200 from medion

Reply 9 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The rest of the card should be OK once you replace the caps if that is all that is wrong. GF3 Ti 200's are a decent card !!
Two of mine are Gainward PowerPack 128Mb red's that run at 200/450 but perform about same as the Ti 200 64Mb but have more memory....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 11, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah actually im on GF2 Ti. I need the card for games until 2001. I have found out that the best driver for that card is the 12.41. Every game runs with this driver on my gf2. The biggest problem on that card is that on Resolution 1280 with 32 bit is getting sometimes its limit maxed up.

The first 2x.xx drivers also run good. So i hope with the gf3 to get the same compatibility but better Performance on 2000s games. For example with later 2x.xx deivers NFS 4 for example does not start any more.

I do not want to fiddle around with patches so thats why i am on these older cards

The GF2 ti is recognized with 2x.xx drivers. But with 12.41 its recognized as a gf2 gts. In this version the gf3 is already inculded but as the origin GF3 without TI. So my hope is that this driver recognizes the ti 200 and i can use it.