VOGONS

Reply 180 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took nearly three days, but I created an "exact" copy of my VMware XP VM for QEMU. Now I have four VMs ready and waiting for a new, more powerful computer. Just waiting for Apple to reveal their plains for 2022. If they reveal a new M2 or M1X Mac, maybe the M1 prices will drop before I can get back to Spain. I believe they should announce their plans when Monterey is ready and released.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 181 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I am pulling my hair now. I can't understand why Grand Prix 3 refuses to show any video input (I can hear the music background) when I start the game in a QEMU XP VM. Runs fine in a QEMU W98 VM. Runs fine in a XP VMware VM.

But not on this f.....ing XP QEMU VM. ARRRRRRGH!!!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 182 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Giving a rest on XP QEMU VM, went to try again DOSBox-X after latest release... yuk, still cannot play any game under Win98 Guest machine unless I set sbtype=none. It's hilarious. When there is no sound card emulated, the games all play smooth. When there is a sb16 or sb16vibra, dang all games crash: NFS2SE crashes on race start, FIFA crashes on match kick-off. Amazing. I've tried for an entire week several different configurations, even did a brand new Win 98 install, and nothing...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 183 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another DOSBox-X update, another test.

Still unable to play any game with a sound blaster card enabled. Have to set sbtype=none to have some fun without sound though. I've spent the entire week tryin several dosbox.conf settings and no luck.

It's quite funny: SB16 used to work under DOSBox when VMware failed to emulate them; Now that I can emulate it on VMware, I can't do that on DOSBox anymore. Go figure.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 184 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like I may have a trip scheduled to Spain next month, so I am looking forward to finally getting that damn M1 MacBook Air.

I need to work as well, but I can't take my 2013 rMBP with me in this trip, so I will use the opportunity to test drive Windows 11 in a VMware VM on my dad's 2018 rMBP. I just need my Adobe apps up and running for design production.

I could use his rMBP as is, but I don't want to mess with his machine and he doesn't have a lot of free storage space for me to work, so I will run the VM from my external SSD disk.

It will work for some days anyway, since one of the first things I will do when I arrive in Barcelona is get to an Apple Store an buy the M1.

EDIT: Trip rescheduled to March 2022. The total amount involved to travel next month is so damn expensive me and my family cannot afford it. We will have to wait a bit longer. Damn.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 185 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not related, but I wanted to update that I finally got a 2020 M1 MacBook Air and I have been stunned by its powerful performance. I tested some SketchUp + V-Ray rendering and it beat my dad's Intel 2018 MacBook Pro by a full 1 minute, rendering the scene in full glory with 2 min and 23 seconds. Not bad. Not for a render made in an app not optimized for M1 (SketchUp 2021 is still Intel, so Rosetta 2 did an awesome job).

In other news, QEMU is now faster even without HVF, I can play most games with Win 98 and XP.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 186 of 242, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you seen Nano98, Micro95, 98lite, ReMin or MicroXP?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28591866
https://web.archive.org/web/20080306134751/ht … www.litepc.com/
https://github.com/replisys/remin-core

/EDIT Removed links

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-11-05, 12:15. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 187 of 242, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oso2k wrote on 2021-11-03, 23:24:
Have you seen Nano98, Micro95, 98lite, ReMin or MicroXP? […]
Show full quote

Have you seen Nano98, Micro95, 98lite, ReMin or MicroXP?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28591866
https://web.archive.org/web/20080306134751/ht … www.litepc.com/
https://github.com/replisys/remin-core

Nice!

"Can You Chip In?

They’re trying to change history—don’t let them. The Wayback Machine is a crucial resource in the fight against disinformation, and now more than ever we need your help. Right now we’re preserving history as it unfolds, keeping track of who’s saying what and when—all without charging for access, selling user data, or running ads. Instead, the Internet Archive (which runs this project) relies on the generosity of individuals to help us keep the record straight.

We don't ask often, but right now, we have a 2-to-1 Matching Gift Campaign, tripling the impact of every donation. If each of our users gave just $5, we could end this fundraiser today—so if you find all these bits and bytes useful, please pitch in.

—Brewster Kahle, Founder, Internet Archive"

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-11-05, 12:15. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 188 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Epic facepalm.

Meanwhile, my QEMU Win98 and WinXP machines are running OK. Even the macOS 9 PPC is running well. I already got Win 11 ARM64 running under UTM. All good so far.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 189 of 242, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-11-04, 02:50:
"Can You Chip In? […]
Show full quote

"Can You Chip In?

They’re trying to change history—don’t let them. The Wayback Machine is a crucial resource in the fight against disinformation, and now more than ever we need your help. Right now we’re preserving history as it unfolds, keeping track of who’s saying what and when—all without charging for access, selling user data, or running ads. Instead, the Internet Archive (which runs this project) relies on the generosity of individuals to help us keep the record straight.

We don't ask often, but right now, we have a 2-to-1 Matching Gift Campaign, tripling the impact of every donation. If each of our users gave just $5, we could end this fundraiser today—so if you find all these bits and bytes useful, please pitch in.

—Brewster Kahle, Founder, Internet Archive"

I'm a big believer in the Internet Archive. I donate $50 each month. Equal to what I spend on streaming services.

Reply 190 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a Ubuntu arm64 VM running and also sucessfully converted a VMware Win 10 x86 VM to UTM, albeit with a few obstacles in the process. This VM only exists for one task only anyway, a 5 minute yearly task.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 191 of 242, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2021-11-05, 05:06:

Just got a Ubuntu arm64 VM running and also sucessfully converted a VMware Win 10 x86 VM to UTM, albeit with a few obstacles in the process. This VM only exists for one task only anyway, a 5 minute yearly task.

Oh do tell.

Or is it super super super duper secret I wont tell a sole, honest.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 192 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just annual certificates for my work. nothing fancy. The government does not have a mac app and these certificates can only be downloaded only once.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 193 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just an update: I managed to get Grand Prix 4 and NASCAR Racing 2003 working on my M1 MB Air. Impressive stuff from CodeWeavers CrossOver 21. I don't think it can handle F1 2017 but I don't need it when I have GP4.

As for Counter-Strike, I'll get the native mac version from Steam. I'm sorted for fun this weekend, GP4, NR2003, CS GO, FIFA 98, FIFA 99, NFS2SE =D

"Yippee Ki Yay, mother*****"

EDIT 2: CS:GO sucks massively. I prefer the classics. CrossOver + CS 1.6 = Epic Win.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 194 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I have managed to make GP4 run on M1, I have tried this night to install the mods (F1 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998) and its editors and patches.

Had a lot of problems, but ultimately managed to install them all and tested with the 98 mod. It runs! Cool 😜

Decided to remove NR2003 since I didn't exactly play it as much as I would have liked to years ago. I might give CS:GO on M1 another chance, because CS 1.6 with CrossOver... although it runs fine and flawlessly, most servers are full of cheaters today. I need to find a good list of CS 1.6 servers before doing that.

I'm just annoyed that it means that I will have to reinstall the horrendous Steam app to get it and run it. *sighs*.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 195 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been in Catalonia for two weeks so far, more 1 and a half month to stay and work out some details for moving before returning to Brazil (*sighs*) to work out on more details. I'll be back in october.

Meanwhile, not much emulation being done these days here.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 196 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grand Prix 4 running under Parallels Desktop on my M1 MacBook Air has a mind blowing performance, even with a custom GP4 mod installed. The Parallels Desktop VM is the Windows 11 Pro ARM64; Parallels runs it perfectly.

UTM also does run Windows 11 Pro ARM64 perfectly, but lacks 3d acceleration. However, I'm keeping UTM for PowerPC emulation (MacOS 9.2.2) and old PC emulation (DOS 6.22/Windows for Workgroups 3.11). I will also keep my Ubuntu 22.04 on UTM because I can't be arsed to make a new install on Parallels for that, and it's good enough there for the purposes it was installed, so no point in moving it.

The gap between UTM and Parallels for some Glide/3dfx games is covered with QEMU-3Dfx fork. I have nearly all the bases covered for my gaming fun. I'm impressed with Parallels on M1 Macs. I hope VMware can catch up with them.

EDIT: Parallels can even run rFactor 2 stock with a decent framerate for casual sim racing. Almost 50 fps. I didn't even tweak the graphics, but I think I can squeeze some 5 fps more doing it.

Grand Prix 3 struggled running hardware mode, but that was expected. The nature of the game engine (a botched job using the same GP2 engine with "upgrades" for 2d/3D graphics from Hasbro/MicroProse) is the culprit. Software mode is F-A-S-T though. Game will stay on QEMU-3dfx/Windows 98 SE anyway.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 197 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fixed GP3 under Win 11 Pro ARM64 in Parallels. Now its buttery smooth even with dgVoodoo 2 and hardware mode. I don't know how, but not it works now. So it's GP3, GP4, Counter-Strike 1.6 and Max Payne 1 running well.

rFactor 2 and possibly CS:GO will follow suit once I arrive back in Rio de Janeiro to download the games at home.

I still would rather have GP3 working on Windows 98 SE, for nostalgia fun. But Parallels is impressive.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 198 of 242, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back with my 86box, UTM (QEMU) and Parallels machines.

Does anyone know why on QEMU running MS-DOS 6.22, Wolfestein 3D refuses to run (stays black screen) when initiated? Same game runs fine on other emulators.

Can't be a sound issue due to not having OPL3, sinceI have put a config file disabling sound completely for the game.

JOBS, Steve.