VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44200 of 52343, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
libby wrote on 2022-04-28, 10:18:
I have acquired this somewhat large hoard of PC/mac/random stuff from a local collector / hobbyist who passed away. his widow wa […]
Show full quote

I have acquired this somewhat large hoard of PC/mac/random stuff from a local collector / hobbyist who passed away. his widow was about to send it to the dump. cost for everything after a few individual items were sold separately was C$4500.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg7.jpg

at some point I'll have to recruit some locals to help me with moving things. it's a whole 2 car garage full plus the basement and front room of the house.

I bought a nextstation color, a big box of atari ST boxed games, an apple iigs rom 3 and some other tidbits for about $850 separately as well.

hours and hours of work fun to classify / check everything.

You're so lucky ❤️

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 44201 of 52343, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-28, 13:29:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-28, 12:48:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-28, 11:47:

Cards worthy of keeping in a safe place and only using in systems with verified PSUs ! (By verified I mean PSUs that have been tested to ensure working voltages and protection)

It would suck to see one of these cards get nixxed by a failed PSU.

Definitely never test with your valued parts with an untested/unchecked PSU.
I'm kinda surprised to sometimes see someone on youtube try to build a retro rig and try to use a PSU of which he has not even bothered to at the very least check the insides for any obvious signs of damage. It's like russian roulette 😋

99% of the time it runs 100% of the time it fails with a loud pop some magic smoke and very angry pixies going where they shouldn't. (Percentages pulled out of my ass)

My guess is that many times it may work fine at first, but I'm not very confident that an old PSU will still work perfectly fine after, say, 30 years or so even though it's probably still possible.
In most cases the system will simply not power on I reckon. In some cases (a minority), things will start popping, banging or starting a fire and even then it's not guaranteed other components are damaged (but definitely chances are beyond what I would want to wager at this point).
Then there's the types of killer PSU that seems to work fine or be calmly unresponsive while doing its destructive damaging in total silence.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44202 of 52343, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally completed my bucket list of "wanted" items today, a 3DFX Voodoo5 5500 showed up on eBay tested and working for about half of what its normal price is for us Aussies paid ~320 quid for it and another 60 quid in Import and postage fees ...no idea why import fees on this one GPU are so stupidly high but no matter, for 300 quid its about as good as it gets for Aussies right now.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-04-28, 16:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44203 of 52343, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote on 2022-04-28, 11:09:

You can understand losing someone dear, feeling overwhelmed while grieving and not wanting to deal with any of this, thus the wish to send everything to the dump. I say good on the OP for not only paying a fair price to the widow but also for salvaging all these vintage parts so they can find their way into the hands of other enthusiasts later down the road

I'm yet to write my testanemnt, but for now I have a deal with my friend - if any of us passes away - the other one will help with selling the stuff to a reasonable guys for a reasonable price.

Although I want at least a part of my collection to be donated to National Museum of Technology, as their computer collection can really use some new specimens (most of 80s/90s era machines they have are in way worse condition than mine counterparts).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44204 of 52343, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:13:
My guess is that many times it may work fine at first, but I'm not very confident that an old PSU will still work perfectly fine […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-28, 12:48:

Definitely never test with your valued parts with an untested/unchecked PSU.
I'm kinda surprised to sometimes see someone on youtube try to build a retro rig and try to use a PSU of which he has not even bothered to at the very least check the insides for any obvious signs of damage. It's like russian roulette 😋

99% of the time it runs 100% of the time it fails with a loud pop some magic smoke and very angry pixies going where they shouldn't. (Percentages pulled out of my ass)

My guess is that many times it may work fine at first, but I'm not very confident that an old PSU will still work perfectly fine after, say, 30 years or so even though it's probably still possible.
In most cases the system will simply not power on I reckon. In some cases (a minority), things will start popping, banging or starting a fire and even then it's not guaranteed other components are damaged (but definitely chances are beyond what I would want to wager at this point).
Then there's the types of killer PSU that seems to work fine or be calmly unresponsive while doing its destructive damaging in total silence.

Yes .. I have one or two chinesium PSUs that I dont dare fire up or hook up to anything remotely valuable, have had them for oh I guess 10 years now but they were not new when I got them either so they could be a lot older. I do have a Shaw 600 watt PSU that gives me the creeps when ever I pull it out of storage, its got amazing numbers for the +5v and +12v rails but ...The brand name just sends chills down my spine and it quickly gets shoved back in its dungeon.

From experience SHAW PSUs deserved their reputation for being powerful piles of shite that will happily fuck your week up with zero notice.

Reply 44205 of 52343, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:17:

You can understand losing someone dear, feeling overwhelmed while grieving and not wanting to deal with any of this, thus the wish to send everything to the dump. I say good on the OP for not only paying a fair price to the widow but also for salvaging all these vintage parts so they can find their way into the hands of other enthusiasts later down the road

I'm yet to write my testanemnt, but for now I have a deal with my friend - if any of us passes away - the other one will help with selling the stuff to a reasonable guys for a reasonable price.

Although I want at least a part of my collection to be donated to National Museum of Technology, as their computer collection can really use some new specimens (most of 80s/90s era machines they have are in way worse condition than mine counterparts).

I quite like the idea of donating the more unique items to a museum, especially if the museum has poorly maintained versions or could simply use an injection of more unique exhibits.

Reply 44206 of 52343, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:22:
My guess is that many times it may work fine at first, but I'm not very confident that an old PSU will still work perfectly fine […]
Show full quote

Yes .. I have one or two chinesium PSUs that I dont dare fire up or hook up to anything remotely valuable, have had them for oh I guess 10 years now but they were not new when I got them either so they could be a lot older. I do have a Shaw 600 watt PSU that gives me the creeps when ever I pull it out of storage, its got amazing numbers for the +5v and +12v rails but ...The brand name just sends chills down my spine and it quickly gets shoved back in its dungeon.

From experience SHAW PSUs deserved their reputation for being powerful piles of shite that will happily fuck your week up with zero notice.

There will always be shitty units, regardless of age.
I never heard of "Shaw" before. I hope I never have to see one first hand 🙂

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44207 of 52343, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:29:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:22:

There will always be shitty units, regardless of age.
I never heard of "Shaw" before. I hope I never have to see one first hand 🙂

Rather infamous cheap but powerful Chinesium brand of PSU here in Australia, pretty sure they were just a rebadged brand from one of the anon Chinesium factories but yeah .. they were terrible for just randomly killing PCs. (By powerful I mean the sticker says its 600 watts .. so it must be 600 watts right type of powerful 🤣)

Reply 44208 of 52343, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-28, 13:45:
aitotat wrote on 2022-04-28, 13:34:
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-28, 07:57:

Holy Moly!
How much? Probably in the 4 digits.

Yes. They cost 1000€ so at least it is the best possible 4 digit price.

While I fail to see anything a sound card could do that would prompt me to pay more than 100, given these item's "nimbus" - it's probably a safe investment.
Just make sure your house doesn't burn down. Only for the sake of those cards, I mean. 😉

Many Demos from that era support only GUS. And the card does mixing of channels in hardware so you get better quality (higher sample rates) with less CPU load. So IMHO the GUS does a lot that no other card does. If that's still relevant today is another question 😀

I'm glad I have one already and don't need to pay the current prices. Who knows if any of this old hardware turns out to be such a safe investment 10-15 years from now...

Reply 44209 of 52343, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanSolo wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:54:

Who knows if any of this old hardware turns out to be such a safe investment 10-15 years from now...

I wondered that about vintage music synthesizer hardware 10 years ago, and they've continued to climb in price.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 44210 of 52343, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:55:

I wondered that about vintage music synthesizer hardware 10 years ago, and they've continued to climb in price.

Synths are totally different animals as vintage synths - unlike computers they can actually be used not only by hobbysts/enthusiasts but also by professionals for making money. That can't be said about vintage computers.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44211 of 52343, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:59:

Synths are totally different animals as vintage synths - unlike computers they can actually be used not only by hobbysts/enthusiasts but also by professionals for making money. That can't be said about vintage computers.

True, but vintage synth hardware isn't necessary for music productions given the availability of modern hardware. And that even includes recreations of vintage hardware.

For example, there are plenty of modern analog clones or emulations of the Roland TB-303 that can be had for hundreds of dollars. Yet that hasn't stopped vintage units from selling for $3000+.

From a strictly music production standpoint, the price of vintage units makes no sense. It's being driven by collectability.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 44212 of 52343, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah most of the CRTs and some random things I have way too many of will be given away. I do both business and hobby so it's certainly investment for me too, but generally speaking local people can have stuff they need if they want it, if it's stuff I don't want to spend time shipping or whatever.

subnet_zero wrote on 2022-04-28, 13:24:

Instant Collection! 😮

by volume this is actually about the same as my existing collection, but my existing collection is almost all tested/hand picked stuff so is far higher market value. however, I have no idea what is in this mix so it'll be fun to catalog.

Reply 44213 of 52343, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:54:

Many Demos from that era support only GUS. And the card does mixing of channels in hardware so you get better quality (higher sample rates) with less CPU load. So IMHO the GUS does a lot that no other card does. If that's still relevant today is another question 😀

I'm glad I have one already and don't need to pay the current prices. Who knows if any of this old hardware turns out to be such a safe investment 10-15 years from now...

I know about those awesome properties of the GUS. Which puts it firmly in two digit € territory for me! 😉

Btw., we were making fun of hopeless ebay offers a few weeks ago (So far, it did not):
Re: Anyone want to bet if this sells :)
Including an ESS 688 ISA sound card that truly looked like rotten shit:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xKgAAOSws9FiTv7C/s-l1600.jpg
But I got curious and gave it a 1 € try. Turns out after a bubble bath, it really was mostly dirt:

100_0660.JPG
Filename
100_0660.JPG
File size
489.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Traces seem fine. Couldn't test it yet, but hopeful.
Arrived alongside a rather obscure 1995 vintage Sanyo quad speed that also had rust spots and I considered 95 % DOA. But, it runs just fine.
Weird little USB bracket - looks like ASUS, but will be fun to find out if it fits any of my motherboards. (I assume all those caps and diodes on it will improve my karma, or something...?)

I like jumpers.

Reply 44214 of 52343, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just won this on eBay, sorry if I beat any of you to it 😀

Not sure of the exact model, and not sure of my plans for it yet, but I'll certainly put in a CD ROM and a sound card at least. The BIOS photo appears to show it has 80MB RAM which is decent, so Windows 95 is probably destined for it... I could even try OS/2 Warp.

Seller's photos. Needs a good clean!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    226.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    File size
    232.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by SteveC on 2022-04-28, 21:16. Edited 2 times in total.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44215 of 52343, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

20220428_145042.jpg

Audigy 2 ZS for my 98/XP machine. The back is a lot dustier than the front. Also got a $3 160gb hard drive because more storage is always betterererer.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 44218 of 52343, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MadYoshi wrote on 2022-04-28, 21:15:

For more projects ^-^

IMG_20220428_225257_2.jpg

Very nice, the early twist mounts!
Just don't use them on Athlons =)
But that's probably common knowledge nowadays.

*crack*

Reply 44219 of 52343, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...recently bought... also for projects...All are 256MB. All but two are some kind of Corsair Platinum/Ultra/XMS, whatever 'go-faster' branded.

7 sticks@500MHz
12 sticks@466MHz
3 sticks@400MHz (1 is Kingston HyperX)
4 sticks@375MHz (1 is Kingston HyperX)
1 stick@333MHz

Attachments