VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm planning on messing with sound cards and stuff and I am thinking it will probably upset my otherwise blank Windows 98 install.

Can I install W98, chipset and graphics drivers, then plug the CF card into my main PC and copy its entire contents (including hidden folders) into a folder on my PC. And then copy that back up onto another CF card and have the same PC boot from it as if nothing happened?

Assuming I format both drives the same way with same partitions and same drive labels...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you can, you don't even need to have same partitions or same cards. I see two important points:
1. You will need to sys.com/make the other card bootable in addition to copying back all the files. Maybe also set partition to active if it's not.
2. Make sure to not only copy hidden and system files, but to also maintain the attributes when copying back.

You can even do it on the same PC, we used to connect the second device as a slave or to the secondary IDE. Partition, format, sys and then from within windows command prompt using xcopy32 (to maintain long file names and use its additional switches /h /k) do the copy.

Last edited by konc on 2022-05-06, 10:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm yeah maybe I'll make an image of it and then just write it a bunch of times as needed

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 4 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you're just going to copy the files, then you have to make sure the partition is active and the drive is bootable.

if you're going for diskimaging, the old versions of ghost (commercial software) are quite handy.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port