VOGONS

Reply 60 of 78, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now it works under pure DOS FX and music, nice but honestly, this mobo has one ISA slot so I guess will be easier and more efficient to use it for DOS gaming but having choice is always nice. I hope HP Compaq T5700 (I forgot first letter xD) will work either with this amazing small app or SOLO-1. 😁

Reply 61 of 78, by Action Replay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
javispedro1 wrote on 2022-02-27, 21:33:

Also it would be useful to be able to set volume levels _without_ reinitializing the AC97 part, which confuses viafmtsr.
I already made a small Watcom C tool to set the AC97 / SBPro mixer settings separately but I've just tested it on my T5710. May release it if there's interest.

Your tool to set the mixer settings in DOS would definitley be useful if you are able to release a version of it. Thank you!

Reply 62 of 78, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
georgel wrote on 2021-09-20, 20:42:

To avoid choppy sound and other hangs with protected mode (DOS4GW and similar) DOS extended games/software you must also use DOS32AWE despite it was designed initially for AWE Sound blasters. It is fixing the VIA's SB emulation for protected mode games and now you will get sound without being choppy . You can download the DOS32AWE from here:

DOS32AWE - DOS/4G compatible DOS Extender with Sound Blaster AWEUTIL MIDI synthesizer support for Protected mode,VIASB

Thanks for this tip.
I got my sound working with this extender, without it doom would just freeze and duke3d would play only sfx.

My board
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/fic-fr35-hp-oem
I've got 512mb mem and 1.1Ghz celeron installed

Next problem is speed. As we know older adlib games like monkey island 1 are very speed sensitive.
So I used setmul to disable l2 cache but the machine would still be too fast.
But after disabling l1 cache machine is too slow to run the tsr.
I could just change cpu, I've got 466 celeron it might be more suitable, and might work with just disabling l2 cache.

Reply 63 of 78, by b0by007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
Many thanks for this cool tool.
I can confirm that it works on thin client Fujitsu Siemens FUTRO B210 (VIA VT8231).
I had windows xp on it, but now it is my retro gaming pc running ms dos 6.22 .
I posted some system specs from winxp, for some details about this little machine that has option to disable L1 or L2 cache in bios.

Attachments

• ScreenShot006a.jpg
    Filename
    ScreenShot006a.jpg
    File size
    40.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • ScreenShot003a.jpg
    Filename
    ScreenShot003a.jpg
    File size
    54.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • ScreenShot002a.jpg
    Filename
    ScreenShot002a.jpg
    File size
    48.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • ScreenShot001a.jpg
    Filename
    ScreenShot001a.jpg
    File size
    62.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 320E.jpg
    Filename
    320E.jpg
    File size
    29.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Fujitsu Siemens FUTRO B210 (VIAVT8231)
    File license
    Public domain

HP Vectra D2753A 486/25N i486 SX 25mhz
UNISYS SG3500 AMD486 DX2 66mhz
OLIVETTI M4 i486 SX2 50mhz
IBM PC 330 6577-79T, Pentium 166mhz
IBM PC 300GL 6561-350, Pentium II MMX 266mhz
My retro youtube channel!

Reply 64 of 78, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a NEC versa s260, laptop with VT82C686B south bridge. The VIASBCFG and VIAFMTSR runs ok but games have no sounds at all.
Is there any extra setting to test it a little bit? Does the volume setting help?

DSC_0321.JPG
Filename
DSC_0321.JPG
File size
926.82 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Edit
Tried A240 and d0 and i5, no luck.
When running skyroads, there's a message showing "parity error on pci b/d/f 0000h" before switching to graphics mode.
My guess is that the audio controller located at bus dev func 0000 on the laptop.

EDIT 2
I use a220 i7 d1 and it worked in win98 with vxd driver(from HP t5710). DOS still no music nor audio. I5 will freeze win98 on startup. I'm kinda satisfied since win98 works good. Tested a few games warcraft2, prince of persia1&2, skyroads, doom, all working.

Last edited by crazii on 2022-11-05, 11:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 65 of 78, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RichB93 wrote on 2020-05-10, 18:17:

Just tried on my NEC Versa C140 laptop (which has been stuck on a pile for ages because it's not the most amazing spec, but this would make it somewhat useful), and it initialised okay (VT8231), plus the FM Emulation loaded, but I couldn't get any sound output sadly. Anything I can do to help troubleshoot?

Looks like the NEC versa laptops are out of luck. Same here. Yesterday I bought the NEC versa s260 on purpose, just because it had vt82c686b south bridge, but it gets the same results as yours.
My HP T5710 works good BTW.

Reply 66 of 78, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Action Replay wrote on 2022-06-23, 11:53:

Your tool to set the mixer settings in DOS would definitley be useful if you are able to release a version of it. Thank you!

Oops I missed this message.
I am attaching this program (exe and srcs inside .zip file) . I called it "VIAS". I was using it to diagnose my issue with very poor FM quality on my T5710 with MI2,but you can actually use it to:

• enable SBPro emulation (as an alternative to VIASBCFG), by first configuring your BLASTER env variable as desired (e.g. "set blaster=A220 I7 D1 T5 P0 J0") and then running "vias enable". (there's also "disable").
  • manipulate mixer values of the AC'97 side. E.g. for PCM (which will also change the volume of VIAFMTSR) use "vias pcm 60" to set it to around 60%, or "vias pcm" to see the current value. The only mixer elements supported are "master" (which seems useless on my T5710), "pcm" and "pcspkr".
  • "vias reset_mixer" to reset both the AC'97 and SB mixers, in case some command or game messes them up.
  • "vias stereo" enables stereo output on the SB side, which was the eventual cause for my MI2 FM issues.
  • "vias dump" to see the current values of all relevant AC97 and SBPro registers, for debugging.

Note it's hardcoded to only work with the VT82C686 PCI IDs as in the T5710, but it's easy enough to change the PCI IDs in the source.

To change SBPro mixer values (not AC97), I was using the standard SBP-SET utility from the SBPro drivers. Note it's not clear to me how the AC'97 and the (virtual) SBPro mixers interact with each other, but from my experiments they seemingly just add on top of each other. The AC'97 side's "PCM" control (changeable via "vias pcm xx") kind of acts as a "master" volume that most games won't be able to change.

I don't plan to continue with this program now that I'm happy with my setup.
But I think this is the first source code release showing how to enable the SBPro emulation on VIA devices.
Hoping it's useful if someone wants to investigate.
Can be built with OpenWatcom .2.x

I'd also like to port this to a GRUB4DOS module (or something like that) so I can enable the SBPro emulation with other, non-MS-DOS OS "transparently" before they boot. Or WinME, which won't run autoexec.bat , and SBPro emulation is still useful for the FM emulation from VIA VXD drivers.

Attachments

Reply 67 of 78, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
crazii wrote on 2022-11-05, 03:58:

Just tried on my NEC Versa C140 laptop (which has been stuck on a pile for ages because it's not the most amazing spec, but this would make it somewhat useful), and it initialised okay (VT8231), plus the FM Emulation loaded, but I couldn't get any sound output sadly. Anything I can do to help troubleshoot?

Looks like the NEC versa laptops are out of luck. Same here. Yesterday I bought the NEC versa s260 on purpose, just because it had vt82c686b south bridge, but it gets the same results as yours.

See my other post - I did eventually get it working - Re: VIASBCFG - VIA SBPro configuration tool for VIA VT8231 & VT82C686/A/B chipsets (v0.10a)

Reply 68 of 78, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RichB93 wrote on 2022-11-10, 17:00:
crazii wrote on 2022-11-05, 03:58:

See my other post - I did eventually get it working - Re: VIASBCFG - VIA SBPro configuration tool for VIA VT8231 & VT82C686/A/B chipsets (v0.10a)

I've tried that and unfortunately it didn't work. Guess I have to stick to win98 for now.

Reply 69 of 78, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Work's very good on a VT82C686A kt133 motherboard but only after :
Long story short , i got the motherboard , it has an ISA slot but i also knew about SB compatibility feature from the bios . I activated it , set the blaster environment in autoexec and nothing else (no via.com and nothing in cfg.sys) and i got a working sound blaster with no audio output . Tried a few dos programs (games also) and the sound blaster was detected ok , but there was no sound . Tried via.com , a few different versions and still no luck , and then i tried VIASBCFG and i got sound but it was glitchy . There was sound for ~2-3 sec. an then quiet for ~1 sec and so on and on , repeating . That was fixed by replacing the Realtek ALC 100P codec with a Via 1616A (pin to pin compatible , second better on paper an it seems also in real applications ) . I guess the reason i got no sound is that you can't control the sound volumes of the audio codec with the usual dos apps ( tried mixerset also with no luck ) .

Attachments

• IMG_3050.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3050.JPG
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3032.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3032.JPG
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3051.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3051.JPG
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3052.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3052.JPG
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 71 of 78, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@JazeFox, thanks so much for VIASBCFG. I have been happily using it for a couple of years now on my VIA desktops.

I have a unique requirement to enable and disable the individual features of the SB emulation on the fly. For example, disable Digital Audio, but enable FM, MPU and Gameport.

Thanks to @javispedro1 releasing the source to his VIAS utility above, I was able to hack together a utility that does just that! But it would be nice if this feature could be added to VIASBCFG.

Again, huge thanks to both @JazeFox and @javispedro1!

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 72 of 78, by clintonoddfellow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
javispedro1 wrote on 2022-11-05, 16:21:
Oops I missed this message. I am attaching this program (exe and srcs inside .zip file) . I called it "VIAS". I was using it to […]
Show full quote
Action Replay wrote on 2022-06-23, 11:53:

Oops I missed this message.
I am attaching this program (exe and srcs inside .zip file) . I called it "VIAS". I was using it to diagnose my issue with very poor FM quality on my T5710 with MI2,but you can actually use it to:

• enable SBPro emulation (as an alternative to VIASBCFG), by first configuring your BLASTER env variable as desired (e.g. "set blaster=A220 I7 D1 T5 P0 J0") and then running "vias enable". (there's also "disable").
  • manipulate mixer values of the AC'97 side. E.g. for PCM (which will also change the volume of VIAFMTSR) use "vias pcm 60" to set it to around 60%, or "vias pcm" to see the current value. The only mixer elements supported are "master" (which seems useless on my T5710), "pcm" and "pcspkr".
  • "vias reset_mixer" to reset both the AC'97 and SB mixers, in case some command or game messes them up.
  • "vias stereo" enables stereo output on the SB side, which was the eventual cause for my MI2 FM issues.
  • "vias dump" to see the current values of all relevant AC97 and SBPro registers, for debugging.

Note it's hardcoded to only work with the VT82C686 PCI IDs as in the T5710, but it's easy enough to change the PCI IDs in the source.

To change SBPro mixer values (not AC97), I was using the standard SBP-SET utility from the SBPro drivers. Note it's not clear to me how the AC'97 and the (virtual) SBPro mixers interact with each other, but from my experiments they seemingly just add on top of each other. The AC'97 side's "PCM" control (changeable via "vias pcm xx") kind of acts as a "master" volume that most games won't be able to change.

I don't plan to continue with this program now that I'm happy with my setup.
But I think this is the first source code release showing how to enable the SBPro emulation on VIA devices.
Hoping it's useful if someone wants to investigate.
Can be built with OpenWatcom .2.x

I'd also like to port this to a GRUB4DOS module (or something like that) so I can enable the SBPro emulation with other, non-MS-DOS OS "transparently" before they boot. Or WinME, which won't run autoexec.bat , and SBPro emulation is still useful for the FM emulation from VIA VXD drivers.

So I've gone down the same road as you with a T5710. I've been trying to debug the horrible sound quality I got in Monkey Island, as well as the constant clicking -- Running Duke3D fixed it as well.

Tried to give VIAS a shot, first running "vias stereo" and that wound up nuking all audio. Thought it might be weird memory shenanigans, so I disabled loading all sound related stuff on boot, ran vias enable and viafmtsr separately, and still ran into issues with zero audio. Mixer settings all look all right when I query vias, but still no audio.

Additionaly, "vias enable" doesn't like to run out of autoexec.bat for some reason. It tells me that it doesn't recognize enable. Runs fine manually though.

Not sure if I'm a goof or not when it comes to what I'm doing, but I was amazed at the Duke3d solution.

Slowly bringing this thing up to speed. I'll be really glad if I can come up with a solution that works to eliminate the horrible monkey island FM and the clickypops, I'll be super happy.

EDIT:

reverting to my original configuration (setting BLASTER env, loading viasbcfg, and then viafmtsr) and then running vias stereo does not kill sound, although I still have the same problems with clicking and gnarly Monkey Island 2 FM

I've also tried poking the debug values (outputting e to 224 and 33 to 225) you'd mentioned, but no dice either.

Tried launching and exiting duke3d and the sound issues clear right up. It's bizarre. wish there were some way to launch it and nuke it at startup in the background without a lot of fuss, haha.

-C

Reply 74 of 78, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you so much for this utility. I am using it with my SL-75KAV motherboard just to enable MPU-401 support through the motherboard so that my Sound Blaster 16 is unburdened by external MIDI playback. This particular motherboard has BIOS options for these things, of course, but I will be testing it with my other boards that do not.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 75 of 78, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Small help needed:
I have HP t5000 series thin client - t5300 with transmeta crusoe tm5600 cpu and ati rage xl graphics, as i remember it worked for both sound and music before, but now music does not work if i test it with Duke3D, i did make clean install for Win9x. CFG and TSR are loaded and i use pure dos, what i need to change to get midi back?

Anybody can share working autoexec.bat and config.sys or what i do not see right now? 😀

I may had older version VIASBCFG and VIAFMTSR before.

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5300/

Edit: All OK! From set blaster was missing P330, works again with:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 P330

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 76 of 78, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marxveix wrote on 2023-11-17, 14:55:
Small help needed: I have HP t5000 series thin client - t5300 with transmeta crusoe tm5600 cpu and ati rage xl graphics, as i re […]
Show full quote

Small help needed:
I have HP t5000 series thin client - t5300 with transmeta crusoe tm5600 cpu and ati rage xl graphics, as i remember it worked for both sound and music before, but now music does not work if i test it with Duke3D, i did make clean install for Win9x. CFG and TSR are loaded and i use pure dos, what i need to change to get midi back?

Anybody can share working autoexec.bat and config.sys or what i do not see right now? 😀

You need a win9x vxd driver that enables SB with FM emulation.
if it previously worked, that vxd driver is done. And maybe you can check the IO spaces in device manager to see if something conflicts with the IRQ/IO Port/DMA. - It might changes, and if so, some games don't recognize the config, i.e. A240
For me I usually disables LPT and other stuff to make the IRQ and IO port available.

Reply 77 of 78, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
crazii wrote on 2023-11-17, 18:42:
You need a win9x vxd driver that enables SB with FM emulation. if it previously worked, that vxd driver is done. And maybe you c […]
Show full quote
marxveix wrote on 2023-11-17, 14:55:
Small help needed: I have HP t5000 series thin client - t5300 with transmeta crusoe tm5600 cpu and ati rage xl graphics, as i re […]
Show full quote

Small help needed:

You need a win9x vxd driver that enables SB with FM emulation.
if it previously worked, that vxd driver is done. And maybe you can check the IO spaces in device manager to see if something conflicts with the IRQ/IO Port/DMA. - It might changes, and if so, some games don't recognize the config, i.e. A240
For me I usually disables LPT and other stuff to make the IRQ and IO port available.

Windows 95 Duke3D test also worked, just it did work without VIAFMTSR @ windows, only VIASBCFB was loaded + Win95 VXD driver. Previously it did work with DOS. I have tiny 64MB dom hdd, dos+win95+nas over lan. From dos i did use dos32awe duke3d. NAS is working thanks do home router usb, that way i can try out more games and it should be faster than usb 1.1 speed probably.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 78 of 78, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIAFMTSR is not needed for win9x, but only for DOS. the vxd driver has its own emulation for FM. will only eat more memory and make some games not working in win9x.
you may need to run the game's config to again to update the IRQ/IO/DMA config.