VOGONS

soundblaster awe 32

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 42, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@scroeffie.
Firstly. I don't see the point to use a Sound Blaster AWE32 on a 80286 based computer. But as it is your choice, I respect it.
You must know there is two different versions of the Sound Blaster AWE32. One that need to have its resources configured by a piece of software and one that have its resources configured by a compatible computer BIOS (eg. PnP). Each version requires its own driver. They are not compatible.
It seems you have the first "version" but you are trying to install the driver for the second "version".
First you need the right driver. You can download the official one here [http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=5 … &menustate=38,0]. BUT considering the computer... I would prefer to use a tool called Unisound made by JazeFox a member of this forum as Gmlb256 suggested. Unisound is very lightweight and is able to manage the card very well. You can download it here [UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b].
If you chose to official Creative Labs driver. Extract it. Inside you will find a folder named SBAWE32, it's a 13 MB folder. This is the one you need. It contains the two required software needed to configure the card. That is DIAGNOSE.EXE and AWEUTIL.COM. It should install properly.

Regards.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 23 of 42, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scroeffie wrote on 2022-05-15, 19:14:

iam trying to install the unisound driver but dont know how

That's quite simple.
You just need to download the file from on the page linked from my previous post. Then extract it to a floppy disk. You should get two files UNISOUND.COM and UNISOUND.TXT.
Create the folder C:\UNISOUND and copy the two files inside.
As the resources on the card needs to be configured, you need to set an environment variable so Unisound and DOS programs will use. Unisound needs it to configure the card. The DOS programs needs it to know what to do.
Open AUTOEXEC.BAT and add the two following lines in this order:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6 J200 P330
C:\UNISOUND\UNISOUND.COM

Save and reboot.
That's done. Unisound will do everything for you 😉

If the computer freezes when booting and you have MS-DOS 6.0 or latter, you can use MSD.EXE to check the resources used by the computer and detect conflicts. The most common are IRQ (I) and Low DMA (D), so you can try to change I5 by I7 and D1 by D3.

Let us know if it work.

Regards.

ps: you can add " /V70" to "C:\UNISOUND\UNISOUND.COM" to set the volume to 70% by default to avoid to explode you ears when a game start.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 24 of 42, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to reiterate on what dormcat said: Do an

edit c:\autoexec.bat

not an

edit c:\autoexec

Only the autoexec.bat is gonna get picked up on boot, not a file called autoexec (without the .bat).

You can also just try to run the 'unisound.com' right from the prompt before you put it into the autoexec.bat - just to see if it manages to even init your card.
Just do a

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6 J200 P330

beforehand (also from your c:\> prompt)... just in case.

Reply 26 of 42, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

since this isnt a pnp card, did you set the jumpers correctly to not clash with other existing IRQ + DMA on your other cards? These are the reasons for it hanging.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 28 of 42, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
scroeffie wrote on 2022-05-16, 14:32:

i think iam going to sell it and buy another card

Keep that sound card for a computer that is better suited to it.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 29 of 42, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-16, 14:38:
scroeffie wrote on 2022-05-16, 14:32:

i think iam going to sell it and buy another card

Keep that sound card for a computer that is better suited for it.

I agree. Your AWE32 is a CT3900. Meaning it have an OPL3 chip and is non-PnP. Can be quite useful on a 80486-Pentium build PC.
About the volume being low, it is hard for me to make an opinion from a recording, especially from game I do not know. But from what I heard, sounds good to me. Can you try with Prince of Persia by example? It is a well known game, it uses PCM and MIDI and work well on a 286.
Just one thing to know. Some DOS games can read and use the BLASTER environment variable and work out of the box, but some cannot. In that case you must use their setup utility to set the parameter of your sound card. Here matching the BLASTER variable as Unisound have configured the card from this variable. To summarize, if you ask Unisound to configure the card using address 220, IRQ 5 and DMA 1 you must then configure your games accordingly. If not, you will have bad or no sound/music or the computer will freeze. I hope I'm clear enough.
Regards.

Reply 30 of 42, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

prince of persia does not want to run dont know why ,but wil try again ,i also tried wolfenstein3d wont run
wil try to find some other games to test ,i also played some pinball sounds good but no so good with godds

Reply 31 of 42, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scroeffie wrote on 2022-05-16, 16:19:

prince of persia does not want to run dont know why ,but wil try again ,i also tried wolfenstein3d wont run
wil try to find some other games to test ,i also played some pinball sounds good but no so good with godds

There is several version of Prince of Persia, the latest ones have a setup utility. The original just try to auto-detect hardware with some failure. For old hardware prefer to use version from 1.0 to 1.3. 1.4 should work on 286 but not sure as it was patched to work on newer hardware (Fast Pentium and Pentium II/III). So you can try 1.3, just don't forget to configure it with SETUP.EXE accordingly to your BLASTER env for audio. As you have a VGA card, you can use EGA for video.
And as I said before, you can use MSD.EXE if you have MS-DOS 6.0 or more. It is a tool by Microsoft to display the resources uses by the computer. Memory, IRQs, DMAs, base addresses, etc.

Reply 37 of 42, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-05-22, 00:01:

Did anyone ever determine if AWEUTIL will function on the 286? Or did OP just switch to unisound?

Hi. I wonder the same.

I'm afraid to break my current 286 system (it finally works fine),
but can try running the AWEUTIL executable alone.
- I'll write back soon.. 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 38 of 42, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i found a soundblaster 16 with cd rom driver ,the soundcard works with uni driver but dont know how to get the cd rom working
i think i dont have enough ram ? 640kb i think

Attachments

Reply 39 of 42, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oak drivers wont load so i think i need the original ct2230 drivers install drivers

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    Filename
    6.jpg
    File size
    223.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg