VOGONS

Let's make some memories (SIMMs)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Teti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I have processed a lot of data to generate out my database of vintage SIMM and SIPP DRAM chips and modules:

http://martenelectric.cz/simm-sipp-ram-chip-database.html

This should be handy for those brewing at home 😀

Attachments

www.martenelectric.cz | https://www.youtube.com/MartenElectric
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker

Reply 21 of 29, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great choice of font 😀
That's quite handy for me right now, so thank you for putting this together! I'm making an AMD InterWave GuS clone card and it'll have 8x 4Mx4 modules to get its full 16MB of RAM. This list should make finding parts much easier - right now I'll just be destroying 16MB 72-pin EDO SIMMs (though that is likely the most cost effective way overall).

Looks like a superb tool for telling which RAM is EDO and which is FPM as well.

Reply 22 of 29, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for that ref, very handy.

xtgold wrote on 2020-03-07, 16:29:

1 meg simm kit from the 1980's
I would strip the 1meg x1 dram chips from defective 286 motherboards

I think it was Maplin Electronics in the UK had a SIMM kit, but with the chips supplied, by the time they had it ready and in the catalog, it was 30 pounds vs 20 pounds per regular 1MB SIMM assembled.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23 of 29, by Teti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-01-02, 16:20:

Great choice of font 😀
That's quite handy for me right now, so thank you for putting this together! I'm making an AMD InterWave GuS clone card and it'll have 8x 4Mx4 modules to get its full 16MB of RAM. This list should make finding parts much easier - right now I'll just be destroying 16MB 72-pin EDO SIMMs (though that is likely the most cost effective way overall).

Looks like a superb tool for telling which RAM is EDO and which is FPM as well.

Yes thank you, I've put some serious work into this and I'm glad this will be put in good use 😀
Please let me know if you need datasheets, I should have most of them. As always confirm with datasheets prior to use of chip ( ͡° ᴥ ͡°)

www.martenelectric.cz | https://www.youtube.com/MartenElectric
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker

Reply 24 of 29, by JDW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UpLateGeek wrote on 2020-03-05, 10:10:

Larger capacity 30 pin SIMMs (e.g. 4MB) are pretty hard to come by where I live, so I've decided to make my own!

When I upload a ZIP file of your Gerbers to PCBWay, it doesn't automatically show the correct PCB thickness. It sticks with the default 1.6mm. I've had issues with BMOW's ROM-inator II ROM SIMM (for SE/30) in the past due to it being too thin (thinner than stock ROM SIMMs, I mean), so when making 30-pin RAM PCBs using your Gerbers, it's critical to get the thickness correct.

I measured the thickness of some old 1MB SIMMs with precision calipers and found that, when measured across the pads, the PCB is 1.35mm thick. On yet other 1MB SIMMs I am measuring about 1.2mm across the pads. PCBWay allows selection of 1.2mm or 1.6mm, with nothing in between.

Am I correct in assuming you choose a PCB thickness of 1.2mm?

Last edited by JDW on 2022-05-23, 02:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 29, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you need 1.2mm

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 27 of 29, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Teti wrote on 2022-01-02, 14:32:

Hi guys, I have processed a lot of data to generate out my database of vintage SIMM and SIPP DRAM chips and modules:

http://martenelectric.cz/simm-sipp-ram-chip-database.html

This should be handy for those brewing at home 😀

This is an awesome list. Very very informative.

My knowledge in retro hardware is very limited because I was a kid at that time.
I have some memory kits (belongs to my late father) with ICs that may not be in your list (I am not sure about it).

I have attached the images of these memory kits (two different sets - GoldStar, HY & VT)

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 28 of 29, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

72-pin SIMM template, if anyone wants to use it.

pic.png
Filename
pic.png
File size
262.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

https://github.com/wiretap-retro/72-pin-SIMM-KiCAD-Template

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals