VOGONS

Reply 2920 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to know!

Shponglefan wrote on 2022-05-20, 15:14:
Synoptic wrote on 2022-05-20, 13:50:

I am still awaiting the delivery of the Interwave chips since April 29th. You can track the shipment here : CY561305075DE

My experience shipping from Germany to Canada has been 1-2 months transit time. So if they were sent April 29, then maybe sometime in June to arrive?

Reply 2921 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah this package is in "postal limbo" between countries
there is no need to worry yet - it just takes time, some countries need more than others....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2922 of 3172, by Storm82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My ARGUS-PCB finally arrived today from @keropi 😀

Soldered it together in 4,5 hours and it seems to be working and is correctly detected by the installation disks. Ram is also working fine with 16MB according to the mem-check in setup.exe

One thing seems to be not correct or I'm doing something wrong. I've flashed the 29F800 Rom with the IW-Rom and the dumped file from IWDUMP does not have the correct md5sum 🙁 I flashed the Rom 3 times with my TL866A and every time the verify was correct.

Reply 2923 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Storm82 wrote on 2022-05-21, 17:03:

My ARGUS-PCB finally arrived today from @keropi 😀

Soldered it together in 4,5 hours and it seems to be working and is correctly detected by the installation disks. Ram is also working fine with 16MB according to the mem-check in setup.exe

One thing seems to be not correct or I'm doing something wrong. I've flashed the 29F800 Rom with the IW-Rom and the dumped file from IWDUMP does not have the correct md5sum 🙁 I flashed the Rom 3 times with my TL866A and every time the verify was correct.

great!!!
when you run UNISOUND it reports that NO ROM BANK found, right?
what eeprom you are using? I tried Macronix ones some time ago and it needed /WE to be pulled HIGH in order to work
this is the expected config for that chip so I severed the trace leading to /WE and with a solder blob bridged it to /RESET pin that is on the left side of it

PvYnemC.jpg

be SUPER SURE that the /WE connection is severed since it is connected to GND and if you do the blob connection then you are effectively creating a short between 5v+GND
alternative if you prefer /WE to have it's own pullup resistor and not shared with /RESET you can do it like this (again careful not to short things):

OO0auG7.jpg

99% sure this is your problem

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2926 of 3172, by Storm82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UNISOUND output seems to be fine:

Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.77a. (c) JazeFox 2019-22

Card #1 [YMH0020] Skipped.
PnP card found: [GRV0001] UltraSound Plug & Play
ULTRASND environment var found! Loading settings...
ADD:240 CODEC:34C IRQ:7 DMA:7/5
Initialization done.
ROM Bank #1: [AMDGM_1_1_] Size: 1024K
RAM detected: 16384 KB
InterWave Mixer set [VOL:85 DAC:80 SYNTH:80 LIN:0 CD:0 MIC:0]

Reply 2927 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok so the chip does not care and bank is detected just fine - good news then
no idea about md5 checksum, maybe try on some other pc?

Reply 2928 of 3172, by Storm82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I will try it on my Compaq 486 next. First I have to replace the Gameport on my Argus because I realized after soldering it in, that it was the wrong one with permanently attached screw-nuts 🙁

Reply 2929 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Storm82 wrote on 2022-05-21, 17:57:

Yeah I will try it on my Compaq 486 next. First I have to replace the Gameport on my Argus because I realized after soldering it in, that it was the wrong one with permanently attached screw-nuts 🙁

Try to use a PnP BIOS PC first. Otherwise you may encounter problems unrelated to the card.

Reply 2931 of 3172, by esver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Storm82 wrote on 2022-05-22, 15:32:

I tested it with my P2-350 first.

In the Compaq it works fine too but sadly the same wrong md5 from ROM. I think I have to desolder it and check out my TL866 again

On my card, I've dumped my M29F800 with my TL866II and IWDUMP and the md5 are the same.

Have you do a binary comparison between the file you put in the 29F800 and the file from IWDUMP ?

Reply 2932 of 3172, by Storm82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope but I had several difficulties even flashing the rom with my TL866A and the SOP44-Adaptor. I think it has some contact problems because I had to flash the rom several times until it flashed fine with verify.

Reply 2933 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the response time of the EEPROM/Flash?
I remember having the same problem with checksums not checking out when using 90ns ones instead of the recommended 70ns. If you wanna play safe use 55ns ones.

In case anyone still wants to join in on the project or produce some more, I still have 96 InterWaves left (preferably to be sold in lots of 48).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2935 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shipping update for the America buyers : DHL is experiencing beyond reasonable delays. Shock__ got me some update from DHL this morning :

shock__ wrote on 2022-05-30, 11:51:

Hi,
turns out DHL is currently literally shipping parcels to .ca and has listed a turn around time of "at least 20 days" (with no maximum named) - something I was not told before hand.

You can track the shipment here : https://www.dhl.de/en/privatkunden/pakete-emp … e=CY561305075DE

Reply 2936 of 3172, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Synoptic wrote on 2022-05-30, 12:16:

Shipping update for the America buyers : DHL is experiencing beyond reasonable delays. Shock__ got me some update from DHL this morning :

Hi,
turns out DHL is currently literally shipping parcels to .ca and has listed a turn around time of "at least 20 days" (with no maximum named) - something I was not told before hand.

You can track the shipment here : https://www.dhl.de/en/privatkunden/pakete-emp … e=CY561305075DE

This has been the case for the past couple years. Apparently they ship stuff by boat which is why it takes so long. The DHL subreddit is full of stories of people waiting months for shipments.

But they do seem to arrive eventually. I had three packages from Germany in the past month and they all took over 6 weeks to get to Canada.

And I'm still waiting on one more that left Germany on April 19th.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2937 of 3172, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

There is no info about the type of shipping, e.g. expedited, ground etc on DHL website.
Do you know if there is any estimated/guaranteed delivery date for the shipment?

Reply 2938 of 3172, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
terryfi wrote on 2022-06-02, 02:26:

Hi,

There is no info about the type of shipping, e.g. expedited, ground etc on DHL website.
Do you know if there is any estimated/guaranteed delivery date for the shipment?

I'm pretty sure these packages operate similar to e-packet so theoretically they do have estimated dates. But in reality you're at the mercy of processing times at ports of entry and customs.

So it ends up being as fast as 7 days or as slow as 60 days.

Reply 2939 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
terryfi wrote on 2022-06-02, 02:26:

Hi,

They say at least 20 days.