VOGONS

First post, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a Voodoo 3000 and it seems to have some issues. If I use it in DOS (or Windows without drivers installed) I get four horizontal lines of artifacts across the screen. When I install the drivers all I get is a black screen after rebooting.

Happy to post more images, just ran into the limit of 5. Anyone have advice or ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_7631.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_7631.jpeg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_7630.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_7630.jpeg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_7629.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_7629.jpeg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_7625.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    File size
    1.31 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 10, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Done!

Attachments

Reply 6 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Repeating patterns are typically memory errors. With so few artifacts visible this would appear to be a single bit or single address line.

I’ve not had chance to look at the photos in detail, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some physical damage.

Reply 7 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can test broken traces by squeezing individual memory chips with your fingers and then starting up computer, or running something rendering graphics on whole screen and squeezing ram chips one by one. Order of operations is important because just reconnecting broken trace wont show up on the picture without system refreshing memory with bad data.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 10, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

KM4132G512Q-7 means 7 ns memory chips, to slow for a Voodoo3 3000, because 7 ns is specified for 143Mhz like the Voodoo3 2000 PCI card with SGRAM. The 3000 SGRAM version needs 6 ns (166 MHz specified) SGRAM memory chips. Your broken card has 6 ns chips. I would look for the faster 5,5 ns SGRAM chips (183MHz), then you have more leeway when overclocking and install a fan on the heatsink or use a case fan behind the card, because the Voodoo3 cards are getting very, very hot without any active cooling!

Reply 10 of 10, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problem but it was vertical red lines. It was one of the memory modules that was dead. I found a compatible module on another video card that I don't remember the model. I easily replaced it using a simple hair dryer and a little solder flux.

Attachments

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg