Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paadam wrote on 2022-03-31, 07:46:

Nice project! Now I need to find a Tillamook again but those are nowhere near as available as few years ago (sadly sold mine few years ago, stupid move).

Thanks 😀

Just did some more work on it,

16EAFD18-E08A-44E1-B0C7-9BC4D74185ED.png
Filename
16EAFD18-E08A-44E1-B0C7-9BC4D74185ED.png
File size
393.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I’m gonna double check everything, and maybe soon order a test board.

I could use your guys help error checking it. (See latest post in thread for latest version)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 401 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This version in this new link goes on the tillamook pins its self between the socket and processor. The previous version went on the motherboard behind the socket.

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Processor Shim) Tweaker (Released)

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-04-26, 10:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 402 of 502, by GRIFF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-25, 11:53:

This version goes on the tillamook pins its self between the socket and processor. The previous version went on the motherboard behind the socket.

Site don't permit me to send a private message.
Send me email please.

Reply 403 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GRIFF wrote on 2022-04-26, 09:18:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-25, 11:53:

This version goes on the tillamook pins its self between the socket and processor. The previous version went on the motherboard behind the socket.

Site don't permit me to send a private message.
Send me email please.

Check your PMs for my email

Update:

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 404 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this fit into a regular socket when the components / dip-switches on the underside are mounted?
I have those sockets with some larger caps or even temp-sensors mounted within the socket cavity in mind.

This adapter has to be soldered to the CPU pins right?
Any chance to integrate some tiny spring contacts for the necessary pins to avoid this step?
Something like this:
https://www.mill-max.com/products/receptacle/0531
https://www.mill-max.com/products/receptacle/5342 (may be too large for the pin spacing)

Reply 405 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-25, 07:39:
Does this fit into a regular socket when the components / dip-switches on the underside are mounted? I have those sockets with s […]
Show full quote

Does this fit into a regular socket when the components / dip-switches on the underside are mounted?
I have those sockets with some larger caps or even temp-sensors mounted within the socket cavity in mind.

Any chance to integrate some tiny spring contacts for the necessary pins to avoid this step?
Something like this:
https://www.mill-max.com/products/receptacle/5342 (may be too large for the pin spacing)

Click the link, there are links in OP to the other versions.

There is one that goes on the processor (pictured)

One that goes on back of the mobo

Small one that goes on back of mobo

And a full fledged voltage interposer. For older mobos with single plane.

For now yes, the processor mounted one it must be soldered. I may try and order a slightly smaller holed one and see if I can get press fit to work but this one needs to be soldered .

If it fits depends on the mobo.

A interposer adds more clearance though

Yeah, it might be possible to add something like that.

As for making it removable we already have a option though and it’s pretty easy to make. The interposer route.

However yes, for those tension fit pins spacing becomes a issue there is very little room to play with vertically or horizontally

.016” is barely in spec for these pins. Is there a smaller one?

Post in the processor tweaker thread and I can look into it further to be sure.

Here is the interposer style
file.php?id=137875&mode=view

Btw, I got two tillamook 233s now which I tested with the motherboard tweaker they work with l2 and even have the 4x setting…😳

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 406 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I didn't know there are other versions already. Will have a look into these.
Just thought it would be nice to not have to solder it directly to the CPU 😀

As Tillamooks pins have diameter from 16..20mil these are the best fit I could find at a quick look.
The linked sockets fit 18..23mil and 15..26mil respectively. Taking some deviations in spacing between them after soldering into account this should still make a good fit!? I focused mainly on length to comply with the very thin PCB.

Reply 407 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the thread I posted actual measurements of various models and types of cpus. They are usually 0.017” to 0.018” if I recall.

So yeah, within spec. But at the lower end which means looser.

Also, idk if there is even room to add it, clearance is tight as is. For the traces that run around those pins. And to near by pins. But my biggest concern is vertical clearance.

It may be possible though

but the interposer with LIF is ready now. So there is already a no solder option

I may be able to modify the design to make it have the heatsink clip footprint like the voltage interposer has.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 408 of 502, by Schule04

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-25, 07:56:
Click the link, there are links in OP to the other versions. […]
Show full quote
Does this fit into a regular socket when the components / dip-switches on the underside are mounted? I have those sockets with s […]
Show full quote

Something like this:

For now yes, the processor mounted one it must be soldered. I may try and order a slightly smaller holed one and see if I can get press fit to work but this one needs to be soldered .

As for making it removable we already have a option though and it’s pretty easy to make. The interposer route.

However yes, for those tension fit pins spacing becomes a issue there is very little room to play with vertically or horizontally

Btw, I got two tillamook 233s now which I tested with the motherboard tweaker they work with l2 and even have the 4x setting…😳

I don't think Intel made a 233MHz Socket7 Tillamook. You probably got P55C chips

Reply 409 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Schule04 wrote on 2022-05-26, 00:42:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-25, 07:56:
Click the link, there are links in OP to the other versions. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Something like this:

I don't think Intel made a 233MHz Socket7 Tillamook. You probably got P55C chips

i definitely have one. even shows up as tillamook on bios screen

sl2z3? I think it is
yep
http://www.chipdb.org/img-intel-pentium-fv805 … -sl2z3-2619.htm

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 411 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! But Yep! It definitely does exist 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 412 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-25, 23:23:
In the thread I posted actual measurements of various models and types of cpus. They are usually 0.017” to 0.018” if I recall. […]
Show full quote

In the thread I posted actual measurements of various models and types of cpus. They are usually 0.017” to 0.018” if I recall.

So yeah, within spec. But at the lower end which means looser.

Also, idk if there is even room to add it, clearance is tight as is. For the traces that run around those pins. And to near by pins. But my biggest concern is vertical clearance.

It may be possible though

but the interposer with LIF is ready now. So there is already a no solder option

I may be able to modify the design to make it have the heatsink clip footprint like the voltage interposer has.

It was just an idea to bring this project a step forward 😉
To see if there's enough room it's always best to put parts into the actual layout. But you may be right that there's not enough clearance.
Like I said, it was just an idea to try out.

Schule04 wrote on 2022-05-26, 00:42:

The 233MHz Socket7 Tillamook is actually called "Mobile Pentium® Processor with MMX™ Technology" by Intel.
See here:
http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Intel/x86/Pentiu … MX/24343301.PDF
(more info or datasheets on this part seem to be unobtainable, though)

Don't know why they made it this way. It's the only one from this mobile processor group with PPGA package, all other derivatives are TCP-320 or MMC-1.
But it's definitively a Tillamook since it's 0.25 micron and has a 2.5V IO voltage (even the sSpec is similar to the more common 266MHz part: SL2Z3 to SL2Z4).
The 266 MHz (and there's even another 166 MHz variant in PPGA package!) is called "Low-Power Embedded Pentium® Processor with MMX™ Technology".
http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Intel/x86/Pentiu … MX/27318403.pdf

Quite confusing!

Reply 413 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lemme know if you guys find a 166. Would like to snag one of those.

So they skipped 200mhz?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 414 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-27, 21:07:

So they skipped 200mhz?

Seems like. At least in PPGA package. Rumors say there are some TCP-320(*) on PGA adapters. But I didn't find such up to now.
Don't have a 166 in my collection right now either.
Luckily I got another 266 from some chinese seller as they were still offering them for cheap in the bay. So my demand is largely satisfied. But the 166 is still on my want list.

(*)
TCP-320 seemed to be available from 166MHz up to 300MHz (look for SL34N). What does that say to you? Right, there's one Tillamook with a multi of 4,5! 😉

Reply 415 of 502, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-30, 09:04:
Seems like. At least in PPGA package. Rumors say there are some TCP-320(*) on PGA adapters. But I didn't find such up to now. Do […]
Show full quote

So they skipped 200mhz?

Seems like. At least in PPGA package. Rumors say there are some TCP-320(*) on PGA adapters. But I didn't find such up to now.
Luckily I got another 266 from some chinese seller as they were still offering them for cheap in the bay. So my demand is largely satisfied. But the 166 is still on my want list.

(*)
TCP-320 seemed to be available from 166MHz up to 300MHz (look for SL34N). What does that say to you? Right, there's one Tillamook with a multi of 4,5! 😉

Yeah, I have one of those. They are soldered to an adapter to use them in Socket 7. I posted a picture of it earlier..
Just need to find time to reassamble my SS7 mobo and some wires to test the 4.5 Multiplier..

Reply 416 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nvm1 wrote on 2022-05-30, 14:01:
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-30, 09:04:
Seems like. At least in PPGA package. Rumors say there are some TCP-320(*) on PGA adapters. But I didn't find such up to now. Do […]
Show full quote

So they skipped 200mhz?

(*)

Yeah, I have one of those. They are soldered to an adapter to use them in Socket 7. I posted a picture of it earlier..
Just need to find time to reassamble my SS7 mobo and some wires to test the 4.5 Multiplier..

Do you have a datasheet for the 300 MHz part?
The only one that seems to be around is for all the others up to 266 MHz only. But none for the 300.

Reply 417 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found someone a while back I think from this thread who claims to have a broken 300 film chip on socket 7 interposer. They say it’s broken these days though, but recall from when it was working that it would run at 300mhz at 66mhz fsb.

So it does seem that some tillamooks did indeed have a 4.5x if the he said she saids are to be believed 🤣

I’ve been unable to find a combination of BF pins that allows 4.5x on my 266 or 233 specimens.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 418 of 502, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium and Pentium MMX also comes in ultra delicate TCP package. One condition is the back of the silicon die had to be soldered to the center ground pad that has thick wall multiple vias to other side for cooling.

I have same interposer which has pentium 90 TCP package soldered to back of this with PPGA pins. Split plane like MMX at 2.9V for this and does works when set up correctly on regular motherboard back then when I had pentium MMX motherboard. Topside is flat for the regular heatsink. Have to use sheet of thin electrically insulating thermal pad when using any heatsink.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 419 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-30, 19:37:

I’ve been unable to find a combination of BF pins that allows 4.5x on my 266 or 233 specimens.

That's why I've asked for a datasheet. In the one that can be found in the net for the 266 MHz this of course isn't mentioned.
In my experience, as soon as BF2 is set, the 266 MHz one is stuck to 4x regardless of BF0/1. If BF2 is not set, smaller multipliers are possible to set with BF0/1, but nothing larger than 4x.
Since the TCP / foil type package doesn't seem to have more BFx connections than the PGA package a 4.5x multiplier must be reached in another way.
Maybe they've used some other "hidden" pin, one that's marked as NC or something. But without a datasheet that's a bit hard to find out.
I wouldn't think they've used another die, TCP is just another package for just the same thing. But what do I know.